C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cold start problems - using FAST ECM with wideband O2

Old 02-02-2010, 08:21 AM
redsix
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold start problems - using FAST ECM with wideband O2

Hi All,

I had my 85 tuned on a dyno after I installed the FAST and wideband O2 sensor. She drives very well indeed when hot, but on cold start (which the tuners couldn't touch as the car was warm when I arrived) I have the following problems:

1. Car will not run on her own from cranking - I have to 'catch' the throttle and tickle it for about 5 seconds, after which she idles - albeit roughly.

2. For the first 5 minutes of running, any attempt to enagage drive stalls the engine, UNLESS I rev to about 1500 and hold it there first. Again - in and out of drive when warm with no issues

3. On pulling away, she coughes and splutters with misfires - any additional throttle opening only makes matters worse.

I have tried playing with the various afterstart tables in the CCCOM software, but nothing I do seems to have any effect - and of course, I only get 5 minutes to try before she warms up and the problems go away!

Can anyone give me some simply instructions of what I should adjust to try and resolve these issues?

My first attempt was to try and adjust IAC position versus Temp - ie bring the idle speed up a bit to prevent stall on engaging drive. No effect on idle. I can see the IAC position resolutely tracking well shy of where I set it.

If you haven't already guessed, someone like me having access to laptop tuning is just plain dangerous! I know next to nithing!

So if anyone could give me any tips, I'd be very grateful.

BTW The base-idle is correctly set. That was a simple procedure even I could manage!

TIA

Regards
Steve
Old 02-02-2010, 01:43 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 463 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by redsix
Hi All,

I had my 85 tuned on a dyno after I installed the FAST and wideband O2 sensor. She drives very well indeed when hot, but on cold start (which the tuners couldn't touch as the car was warm when I arrived) I have the following problems:

1. Car will not run on her own from cranking - I have to 'catch' the throttle and tickle it for about 5 seconds, after which she idles - albeit roughly.

2. For the first 5 minutes of running, any attempt to enagage drive stalls the engine, UNLESS I rev to about 1500 and hold it there first. Again - in and out of drive when warm with no issues

3. On pulling away, she coughes and splutters with misfires - any additional throttle opening only makes matters worse.

I have tried playing with the various afterstart tables in the CCCOM software, but nothing I do seems to have any effect - and of course, I only get 5 minutes to try before she warms up and the problems go away!

Can anyone give me some simply instructions of what I should adjust to try and resolve these issues?

My first attempt was to try and adjust IAC position versus Temp - ie bring the idle speed up a bit to prevent stall on engaging drive. No effect on idle. I can see the IAC position resolutely tracking well shy of where I set it.

If you haven't already guessed, someone like me having access to laptop tuning is just plain dangerous! I know next to nithing!

So if anyone could give me any tips, I'd be very grateful.

BTW The base-idle is correctly set. That was a simple procedure even I could manage!

TIA

Regards
Steve
You need to adjust the commanded AFR when cold to a richer number. When it is cold it will be in open loop and there should be a table for open loop operation. Move the cammanded AFR 10% richer when it is cold and see what it does.

I have not used the FAST software for a few months so I am not sure exactually where the table is but look for a commanded AFR table when in open loop.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:24 AM
redsix
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank makes sense - thank you. I'll try it this weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To Cold start problems - using FAST ECM with wideband O2

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold start problems - using FAST ECM with wideband O2