C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Door Lock / Alarm Set Not Working... Electrical advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 02:57 PM
dan_t
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Door Lock / Alarm Set Not Working... Electrical advice needed

Hey guys, been a LONG time since I've been on here and I'm sorry to say but its a post for some help and advice.

I have a 1985 C4 thats mis-behaving! The door buttons don't lock the door and thus arm the alarm.

Neither lock nor unlock buttons make the lock move but they do make some sort of relay "click" in behind the dash. I've fed power directly to the motor and it works fine. I'm guessing there is some sort of control module/relay in behind the dash there?? If that was to fail would I get the symptoms that I am now?

Hoping someone can help!

Dan
Old 02-06-2010, 11:46 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fuses/power checks would be an easy place to start.
Both door lock "switches" work together to get the lock actuator solenoids to move....if you have removed one of the two switches or one has "failed" or has a "poor" electrical connection neither solenoid could work....depending on the failure you have.
You could pull door handle insert to clean/test/replace the switches if necessary. If that doesn't get it - I recommend unplugging the door solenoids one at a time and putting a meter across the leads that would normally feed the lock actuator solenoid to check for voltage. You could also "ohm" across the solenoid's coils and compare your resistance readings to see if one is "off". door panel must come off for the solenoid stuff.

Quick Reply: Door Lock / Alarm Set Not Working... Electrical advice needed