C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 exhaust manifold porting with pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 04:28 PM
brownc00
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L98 exhaust manifold porting with pics

These have got to be the worlds worst exhaust manifolds that were assembled by a blind man with a stick welder. I'm not interested in dropping big $$ on long tubes, so I thought I would try "helping" the stock manifolds. This was all just removing the AIR tubes and cleaning up the welds. I gotta think this will help some. The socket is used for size comparison.

Before:

After:

Last edited by brownc00; 02-06-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:40 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lookin' good!
Watch how "thin" you grind the welds back on the tubes don't grind all the welds out of there since you want it to stay together when it expands/ contracts. If your still running an EGR riser you need to grind the crap out of that tube inside the "8" tube. I've seen those sticking down about 3/4" into the manifold. to think that's how these where when the left the factory. Look at the collector side of the manifold there is usally a bunch of slag and excessive weld beads on those puppies.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:00 PM
brownc00
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by engle1147
Lookin' good!
Watch how "thin" you grind the welds back on the tubes don't grind all the welds out of there since you want it to stay together when it expands/ contracts. If your still running an EGR riser you need to grind the crap out of that tube inside the "8" tube. I've seen those sticking down about 3/4" into the manifold. to think that's how these where when the left the factory. Look at the collector side of the manifold there is usally a bunch of slag and excessive weld beads on those puppies.

I don't think I went too thin (i hope). There is still a small ridge where the weld glob was. Hopefully it will stay together.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Vette Fast
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job.

Get notified of new replies

To L98 exhaust manifold porting with pics

Quick Reply: L98 exhaust manifold porting with pics