C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

can I block off thin water hose to rear of block

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default can I block off thin water hose to rear of block

1988 auto.
There is a thin water hose coming the rear RH side of the block and going to a T piece in the heater hose.

I bypassed my heater several years ago and want to tidy up the hoses by fitting caps to the waterpump and block to completely remove the heater hoses. I would have to cap this small hose as well where it enters the rear of the block

Can I safely cap this fitting?

I ssume that hose is there because they found a hot spot in the block so feel it is not safe to cap, but I have heard that it can be done.

I occasionally do long drives in my vette of 6-12 hours, I wouldn't want to damage anything.

Has anyone got any info on this?
Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Rob , check your email
Old 02-06-2010, 11:10 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I recently heard of that refered to as the "vent hose" but believe me there IS plenty of coolant flowing in there...
Old 02-07-2010, 12:05 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 65Z01
I recently heard of that refered to as the "vent hose" but believe me there IS plenty of coolant flowing in there...
Will be seeing that it is on the pressure side of the pump ; especially if the thermo is closed.
The past info I have read said the factory installed it to " vent " steam pockets from the rear of the alum heads.
The F-Body intakes don't have it and neither do most of the aftermarket intakes which people run very happily on stock or aftermarket heads ; most don't even have the rear coolant passage at all , let alone a vent
Old 02-07-2010, 01:17 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rodj
Will be seeing that it is on the pressure side of the pump ; especially if the thermo is closed.
The past info I have read said the factory installed it to " vent " steam pockets from the rear of the alum heads.
The F-Body intakes don't have it and neither do most of the aftermarket intakes which people run very happily on stock or aftermarket heads ; most don't even have the rear coolant passage at all , let alone a vent
I'm running a HSR no vent.. no problems so far
Old 02-07-2010, 02:22 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The only vent in any cooling system is the Overflow Tank.

The Vette L98 uses restrictors on the rear intake gaskets to keep the Coolant at the rear of the heads longer (F-Bodys don't). The bypass from the Core to the rear of the Manifold is necessary to provide sufficient cooling. Remove the restrictors; ie, switch to the F-Body intake gaskets, and you can ditch the bypass. For more on the different TPI's go here: http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/TPIStory.pdf
Old 02-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SunCR - once again you come up with top info- I've saved that TPI info page, thanks.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:38 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

on a 55 Chevy running a TPI, I saw a guy tap into the heater hose wih that bypass hose using "T" fitting.
If GM didn't think it was necessary in a vette, they wouldn't have wasted their money on it by putting it on 40,000 cars every year for 5 years.

i would try to find a way to keep it if I were you.
At the very least, add it in, watch your temps for a month in the summer, then block it off for a month.
Let your temp gauge dictate

Last edited by coupeguy2001; 02-07-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:06 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
on a 55 Chevy running a TPI, I saw a guy tap into the heater hose wih that bypass hose using "T" fitting.
If GM didn't think it was necessary in a vette, they wouldn't have wasted their money on it by putting it on 40,000 cars every year for 5 years.

i would try to find a way to keep it if I were you.
At the very least, add it in, watch your temps for a month in the summer, then block it off for a month.
Let your temp gauge dictate
I have friends who are engineers an they are always afraid to mod.
Belive me GM is not as bright as you think.

Last edited by ch@0s; 02-07-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:02 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ch@0s
Believe me GM is not as bright as you think.

As I have previously noted , none of the aftermarket intakes have that provision and nobody has coolant problems running them on stock alum head L98's
Old 02-07-2010, 09:35 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by rodj

As I have previously noted , none of the aftermarket intakes have that provision and nobody has coolant problems running them on stock alum head L98's
Sorry, not trying to cause conflict but the edelbrock intake I just bought does have the hole there for it..

Last edited by WW7; 02-07-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:15 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WW7
the edelbrock intake I just bought does have the hole there for it..

The Miniram , HSR and Victor E intakes I have don't even have the rear coolant crossover
Old 02-08-2010, 04:24 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Notably it was only used on the Vette which just as notably has a horrible history of head gasket failures (113 aluminum heads) - allmost always at #7. GM identified the problem as being galvanic corrosion caused by a leaking intake manifold gasket and redesigned the heads only those heads didn't make it into production until the '91 or the last Year of the L98. From there. GM pretty much eliminated coolant flow through the Intake on allmost everything they made; though that led to a slew of new problems, mostly cracked composites and failed intake gaskets that sucked up oil from the lifter valley and wiped out CATS. My theory - as to the 113 head gasket issue - is that the restricted coolant passageways left crappy coolant at the rear of the heads longer and though an intake leak may have made the coolant corrosive, leaving it at the rear of the heads ate up the gasket. I tried to find some of the discovery undertaken by a couple of people who sued over the issue, but all the files are seemingly destroyed (and GM wouldn't give you any specifics no matter how often they apologize for their blunders).
Old 02-08-2010, 05:03 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

PS: And don't think that GM would waste money and parts on something that wasn't worth it. The Vette has always been a Beta for new stuff and with low production numbers it's been their way to get real world results without a lot of worry (plus, up until the economic tsunami, GM could presell the entire production to Dealers without giving a whole lot back). Here's my partial list of the new, first year stuff that was a bust out of the box: 1. Low Tire Pressure Warning System - the Receiver wasn't well shielded and could pick up noise from any source triggering false alarms. The manufacturer went bust and there were no replacement parts under warranty. Dealers simply disabled it when it broke. 2. The six speed tranny. A dual mass fly wheel was used to reduce noise but made plenty of noise by it's own design. 3. The Opti Spark Ignition - you guys who have it should know why it never appeared on the Gran Prix you rented at National. 4. The LS1 - if you around for the first ones, the Engineers coined a new phrase - "ring flutter" to describe why they sucked a qt of oil every 200 miles. Owners were put through hell before they got a rebuild with dealers mandating that you keep a detailed log of how much oil they were sucking up. Rumors were rampart with reports that Mobil 1 was being drained on the line and replaced with dino why they tried to figure out was wrong with these motors.

Feel free to make your own list(s) - some problems didn't develop until after a year or two, but they rarely carried over to the basic fleet without being abandoned or corrected.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:30 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I plugged mine. No problems.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:47 AM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
Belive me GM is not as bright as you think.
That, I strongly beiieve, is a minority opinion.

Jake

My son, Ryan M. Cameron, graduated from West Point on 22 May 2010! He was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant and I pinned on his first pair of "Butter Bars" PROUDEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!
Old 06-20-2010, 11:54 AM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Sorry, not trying to cause conflict but the edelbrock intake I just bought does have the hole there for it..
Which I why I caution against the use of such terms (I call them "absolutes") like none, always, never, everyone, etc.

Jake

My son, Ryan M. Cameron, graduated from West Point on 22 May 2010! He was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant and I pinned on his first pair of "Butter Bars" PROUDEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:40 AM
harley_vette
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake gaskets

hi all, i am trying to restore a 89 convert. what a task. anyway my question is this after reading these threads am i to understand that i can open up the rear intake gasket water ports and remove the little hose without any problems. the head gaskets on both sides have blown at the center cyls (4&6 and 3&5) i want to avoid having this happen again and i want it to run as cool as i can. thanks for any help..

Get notified of new replies

To can I block off thin water hose to rear of block

Quick Reply: can I block off thin water hose to rear of block