C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How good are C4 Brake calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 11:47 AM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
I've been using Carbotech, and EBC yellow.
I started with XP10 / AX pads and last year switched to xp12/xp8.
I like the xp12/xp8 combo, but I think I need xp10's on the rear.

I have some Hawk bucks and will try some dtc pads probably 70 F and 60 R later this year.
You stepped in what??

Seriously, what all did you just say?
Old 03-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by jhammons01
You stepped in what??

Seriously, what all did you just say?
What part can't you understand? The numbers are pad types, check the manufacturers site for specific information on each.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Marv02
Thanks for the info.
If you decide to buy a new master cylinder I have a great working one I would let go for a lot cheaper than a rebuilt.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:06 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
What year C4 do you own (nothing listed in your profile)? "Late-model" C4's 95 and late had the J55 brakes as standard and were optional since 1989. All ZR-1's had the J55 brakes.

The J55 caliper is larger (wider) to accommodate the slightly wider 13" J55 rotor. There are a wide variety of performance pads available for the C4 brakes ranging from good HPDE pads to race-level stuff. Same with rotors; some people use a generic stock rotor and toss them when they wear out, some go for high-zoot rotors made for extreme braking.

I did a C5 brake upgrade on my 87 last summer and there was a marked improvement but the 87 front rotors were only 11.8" wide and relatively thin. With the C5 stuff in front, I now have a much wider range of brake components to use. I also added a Doug Rippie brake bias spring to help with the extra braking power up front. It's almost a necessity to keep from the ABS going nuts at even medium braking effort.

But adding C5 front brakes may require a different wheel. The OEM "salad-shooter" wheels do not work with C5 front brakes; the caliper is too large so something like a ZR-1 style wheel is needed.

The rear C4 brakes are very close in size to C5 rear brakes, so pad choice is the big factor out back. Add some good quality brake fluid with at least a DOT4 boiling point. cooling ducts to the front brakes, and stainless flex lines and you should be able to handle many tracks.
Is dot 4 a proper fluid for corvette c4? I ever known that dot 3 is the right one cause rubber seal in brake system and clutch too can be used with dot 3 only...

Also seems that dot 4 is an heavier fluid than dot 3
Old 06-02-2015, 11:00 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Christi@n
Is dot 4 a proper fluid for corvette c4? I ever known that dot 3 is the right one cause rubber seal in brake system and clutch too can be used with dot 3 only...

Also seems that dot 4 is an heavier fluid than dot 3
The difference in fluid types is the wet and dry boiling points. DOT4 fluids have a higher boiling point than DOT3. For high performance applications, a DOT4 fluid will handle more heat so the fluid won't boil as fast. I haven't seen any real difference in the two fluids in terms of weight or density. A DOT4 fluid will not harm rubber seals.

For street use (including some "spirited driving" on the Autostrade ), a DOT3 fluid works fine. Fluids from Valvoline or Castrol will work very well.

I use a DOT4 fluid (ATE Super Blue) in my '87 autocross and track car. Never had an issue with seals in the master cylinder or the calipers. I buy the ATE fluid in one-liter cans as I do a fluid flush before every track day. Motul is another good DOT4 fluid for high performance use.

Note that the US government has recently decided that any brake fluid that is not a clear or yellow to golden color cannot be used or sold for use in the US. So we can't get ATE Super Blue fluid anymore but the ATE TYP200 fluid is available. The only difference in the two is the color...

You could use a DOT4 fluid in the clutch hydraulics, but any good grade of a DOT3 fluid will work fine. Just get a small can and mark it for "Clutch only".
Old 06-02-2015, 11:27 AM
94Z07
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think people get caught up too much on comparing these calipers to brand new stuff....
I road course race a 1973 Porsche 914 with stock rebuilt Girling Brake Calipers on vented/drilled rotors....no issues whatsoever and those brakes are tiny..

That being said, i've also tracked a 1996 LT4 and experienced very bad brake fade and brake loss. Solved that with Stainless Steel Lines, Dot 4 Fluid, better pads, a good bleed, good working master/slave cylinder, good vented rotors and you should be fine.

You can buy rebuild kits for the J55 Calipers as well...I just rebuilt them over in my restoration thread if you want to check it out. The brakes start here https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rogress-3.html then go on for a few pages i believe.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:51 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by 94Z07
I think people get caught up too much on comparing these calipers to brand new stuff....
I road course race a 1973 Porsche 914 with stock rebuilt Girling Brake Calipers on vented/drilled rotors....no issues whatsoever and those brakes are tiny..

That being said, i've also tracked a 1996 LT4 and experienced very bad brake fade and brake loss. Solved that with Stainless Steel Lines, Dot 4 Fluid, better pads, a good bleed, good working master/slave cylinder, good vented rotors and you should be fine.

You can buy rebuild kits for the J55 Calipers as well...I just rebuilt them over in my restoration thread if you want to check it out. The brakes start here https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rogress-3.html then go on for a few pages i believe.
I've recently replace all old fluid with motul dot 3/4 and rear brake pads and i've got a little improvment in brake power, still I had to replace front brake pads, however seems that c4 1995 is a little it insufficient in brake power.. Don't you?

Power stop brake kit could work better?
Old 06-02-2015, 07:22 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I've recently replace all old fluid with motul dot 3/4 and rear brake pads and i've got a little improvment in brake power, still I had to replace front brake pads, however seems that c4 1995 is a little it insufficient in brake power.. Don't you?

Power stop brake kit could work better?
What should work is the proper selection of brake pads. There are a number of good semi-metallic pads available that will provide an increase in braking performance. You may want to exchange PM's with Adam at CarboTech (a supporting vendor) he can give you some good information on suitable pads. You will need to find out if his company will do international shipping.

Also, how old are the flexible brake lines at each caliper? Going with a braided steel line like those from Earl's or Goodridge can help with better pedal feel. If the lines are original to the car, it's probably time to replace them.

If the rotors are original, it can't hurt to replace those too. For street use, there is nothing wrong with an OEM style rotor. Rotors that are drilled, slotted, or both may look good, but for general street use, they don't provide a lot of braking improvement.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:32 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
What should work is the proper selection of brake pads. There are a number of good semi-metallic pads available that will provide an increase in braking performance. You may want to exchange PM's with Adam at CarboTech (a supporting vendor) he can give you some good information on suitable pads. You will need to find out if his company will do international shipping.

Also, how old are the flexible brake lines at each caliper? Going with a braided steel line like those from Earl's or Goodridge can help with better pedal feel. If the lines are original to the car, it's probably time to replace them.

If the rotors are original, it can't hurt to replace those too. For street use, there is nothing wrong with an OEM style rotor. Rotors that are drilled, slotted, or both may look good, but for general street use, they don't provide a lot of braking improvement.

Thank you great info...

I will take a look at these stores
Old 06-03-2015, 10:57 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Thank you great info...

I will take a look at these stores
We can ship anywhere shoot me a PM or email what you need or tell me what you are looking to accomplish and I will be happy to help.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 06-04-2015, 06:26 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
We can ship anywhere shoot me a PM or email what you need or tell me what you are looking to accomplish and I will be happy to help.
Thwnk you. No immediately need...however thanks i will take in consideration
Old 06-04-2015, 09:06 PM
frenchyoliver
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did an emergency stop in the german autobahn at top speed to full stop.
The J55 roared loud and the corvette stopped without hesitation.
Indeed, the corvette slowed down faster and shorter than the 911 next to me. :-)
Old 06-04-2015, 11:04 PM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got done switching out the brakes on my 92 C4 using a conversion kit including C5 calipers and rotors ... WOW, quite a difference!!! The C5 calipers have twin pistons while the C4's use only a single piston. But the overall improvement (noticeable), I think lies mostly in the larger and better-designed rotors. If you have a C4, want to improve the braking and are willing to spend the money, the swap kit available from VB & P Brakes ( http://www.vbandp.com ) includes quality components nicely finished in your choice of powder coatings. The only potential drawback is that the kit requires the use of A-mold style wheels to ensure proper fitment. However, not to worry ... look at some pics ... A-molds look SWEET on C4s.

Quick Reply: How good are C4 Brake calipers?