C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

adding a 3rd brake light on a 85

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 12:20 AM
Richard Kirkland
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light

I put a 87 rear bumper on my 85 the 87 bumper had the third brake light on the bumper
Old 04-12-2018, 02:52 PM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by little98dime
I installed one on my 85. I ended up routing from the brake switch to the rear of the car. the main problem you will run into, is the glass on the rear hatch overlaps where the mounting holes need to be drilled. because of this, you have to attach 2 bolts (i used high strength epoxy) roughly 1" back from the original mounting holes. this way, you can drill through the hatch, missing the glass entirely. I can post pics if needed.
this is the way i did it on mine 84
Old 04-13-2018, 09:41 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Kirkland
I put a 87 rear bumper on my 85 the 87 bumper had the third brake light on the bumper

Your cover is off a 'vert and presents a 'special' set of circumstances. All 'verts had ABS and the CHMSL was powered from that circuit from the stop light switch.

See post#20

You need HRR solution which would work for '84 - '85 for cars with no ABS. If there's a LT BLU wire on your stop light switch to the 15 pin connector HRR mentions you need to do it from there. C209 is the connector where I believe you need to look for the LT BLU. If it's there I'd think the mating connector to rear of car would be missing this wire. I've no idea which cavity on an '85.

A talented person if the wire is present could add a terminal to the rear harness and run the wire from there. If the wire isn't present at the C209 and isn't at the SLS like mentioned then you need to wire directly from the SLS. If the LT BLU is there and once confirmed with a test light you could actually cut/splice because it serves no other purpose. You'll need to run wire from that point to rear of car. A challenge maybe. If you're in a state with safety inspections IF the light is there it may 'have to' be functional.

You might reach out to HRR. I'd like to think he doesn't mind my mentioning his earlier post. If you don't have an '85 FSM it could be a challenge. I have both years.

Name:  '85 C209.png
Views: 911
Size:  58.3 KB

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-13-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:09 PM
Richard Kirkland
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't be in the trunk behind back glass

The bumper came off a 87 convertible corvette and the thired brake light is in the bumper and I put it on my 85 corvette the thired brake light in the center of the bumper how can it take it out and install it to back glass? There no way it has to be in the bumper were it was installed from factory on a convertible. Won't pass inspection if it don't work in Texas that why I have to get it working. The wiring for the thired brake light was pluged by the backup lights on the convertible but the 85 don't have that plug under the car were the convertible had it

Last edited by Richard Kirkland; 04-13-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:30 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Kirkland
The bumper came off a 87 convertible corvette and the thired brake light is in the bumper and I put it on my 85 corvette the thired brake light in the center of the bumper how can it take it out and install it to back glass? There no way it has to be in the bumper were it was installed from factory on a convertible. Won't pass inspection if it don't work in Texas that why I have to get it working. The wiring for the thired brake light was pluged by the backup lights on the convertible but the 85 don't have that plug under the car were the convertible had it

If you don't understand my post #23 you're in trouble. If it's in the rear cover and 'working' I'd think it would pass Texas OR since an '85 didn't actually have CHMSL ask the inspectors and maybe troopers if you couldn't just 'black it out' to be 'non-functional'.

You can't remove it from the bumper and put to the rear glass. I'd think it much easier to make the one in the rear cover work vs a a rear vision.

Buy another bumper cover.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:56 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

I asked it 8 years ago and I have to say it again.......

Why????????

I didn't realize a third tail light was asthetically pleasing. That was my appeal to the 85 car in the first place; they don't have that ugly thing on top of the pillar; clearly looked like an after thought. And as far as it being in the bumper on the later cars and verts on the early.......better, but not good. And as far as safety.........

If someone is going to rear end you, they are going to rear end you, w/o or with a third red light illuminating.

Did you ever hear of someone saying...."these older cars should not be on the road.....they don't have a third brake light and they are being rear ended"........If you can't see TWO brake lights or even one for that matter illuminating on the driver in front of you, you should not be driving a vehicle.

Very interesting.....
The following users liked this post:
Karvette (04-14-2018)

Quick Reply: adding a 3rd brake light on a 85