C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Torque converter on switch vs auto lock

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 05:09 PM
littleredcorvette88
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque converter on switch vs auto lock

Ok So I'm pretty sure the more research I do the more confused I get in regards to torque converter auto lock, switch controlled lock etc.

My current set up by the previous owner was on a switch that you would manually lock the converter. I'm now rebuilding my transmission and Vigilante converter and trying to figure out what the best set up for me would be. My other cars in the past have never had a torque converter switch but also didn't have much power compared to my 91 vette that put down 526hp on the engine dyno. I still can't understand why I would need a switch to manually lock the converter? When it was on the dyno last without the converter locked it put down 100hp less than with it locked which makes sense (the converter never locked automatically and was switch engaged only) Is there a way to have auto lock with a manual switch override? I don't want to loose all this power but also don't want it to engage while the car is in overdrive only.

The car is 99% street driven on weekends and cruising around. I would like to have some power running around town but not have to switch the converter on and off the entire time I'm driving.

Any info would be great!!!

Old 04-30-2019, 06:30 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

When I installed a TCC lockup sw I could set it to immediately lock in all gears >1st or lockup normally via the ECM.
I simply jumped a pin on the ALDL to achieve this function.

Sounds like you too have a sw that can be used to manually lock or auto lock the TCC. If so, just leave the sw "off".
Old 05-01-2019, 12:27 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

It depends on rear axle ratio. With stock 2.59 -3.07 ratio TCC can cause some " lugging" because RPM is too low. Tuning to keep converter off until 3 or 4 gear would help.

Get notified of new replies

To Torque converter on switch vs auto lock

Quick Reply: Torque converter on switch vs auto lock