C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can my '85 transmission be saved or junked?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:34 AM
jmkvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can my '85 transmission be saved or junked?

I was recently driving my '85 vette (automatic) and was coming up to a stop light when I heard a loud pop and rattle. I wasn't sure if the noise came from me until I started to pull off again then suddently at about 10 mph it felt like the rear end or the rear brakes had locked up, The car felt like it wanted to go but couldn't. Then I heard a clunking and grinding sound. Luckily I was only a 1/4 mile from my house so I was able to limp it back at about 8 mph and everytime I went over 10 it would start all over. The next day I put the car on stands and put it in drive, at about 10 mph I could here the trans making noise and trying to lock up (There was no noise, pre warning or indications that something was wrong before this happened). I figured this means that 2nd gear is gone and I just need another transmission but I wanted to make sure because I've read another thread that had something similiar and it was an easy $10 fix. If I do need another transmission, what other vehicles have that exact transmission that will just drop in (Automatic or manual).

Last edited by jmkvette; 05-05-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jmkvette
I was recently driving my '85 vette (automatic) and was coming up to a stop light when I heard a loud pop and rattle. I wasn't sure if the noise came from me until I started to pull off again then suddently at about 10 mph it felt like the rear end or the rear brakes had locked up, The car felt like it wanted to go but couldn't. Then I heard a clunking and grinding sound. Luckily I was only a 1/4 mile from my house so I was able to limp it back at about 8 mph and everytime I went over 10 it would start all over. The next day I put the car on stands and put it in drive, at about 10 mph I could here the trans making noise and trying to lock up (There was no noise, pre warning or indications that something was wrong before this happened). I figured this means that 2nd gear is gone and I just need another transmission but I wanted to make sure because I've read another thread that had something similiar and it was an easy $10 fix. If I do need another transmission, what other vehicles have that exact transmission that will just drop in (Automatic or manual).
I can assure you that anything in the drivetrain that is making noise and locking up the tires is not a $10 problem. Considering $10 is not enough to buy a trans filter, you are screwed.
If it is in your transmission, then you have major failure of a drivetrain component. Which component(s) will become clear once it comes apart. Get the checkbook ready, cause it will get a workout.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete K
I can assure you that anything in the drivetrain that is making noise and locking up the tires is not a $10 problem. Considering $10 is not enough to buy a trans filter, you are screwed.
If it is in your transmission, then you have major failure of a drivetrain component. Which component(s) will become clear once it comes apart. Get the checkbook ready, cause it will get a workout.
This made me laugh lol.

I think you are looking at atleast $1000 in repairs
Old 05-05-2010, 02:57 PM
jmkvette
Intermediate

Thanks Pete K. I kind of figured I would need to replace the transmission. can anyone tell me what other vehicles have the same trans as the '85 vette? There's a junkyard near me that sells parts for really cheap but they don't have vettes. would a trans from a camaro work? I was also thinking of converting it to a manual, is that a fairly easy job? I know I would need the flywheel and pedals, whould I need to replace the drive shaft also?

Last edited by jmkvette; 05-05-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Thanks Pete K. I kind of figured I would need to replace the transmission. can anyone tell me what other vehicles have the same trans as the '85 vette? There's a junkyard near me that sells parts for really cheap but they don't have vettes. would a trans from a camaro work? I was also thinking of converting it to a manual, is that a fairly easy job? I know I would need the flywheel and pedals, whould I need to replace the drive shaft also?
All of your questions have been addressed dozens of times. Click search, then advanced search, then type in the questions. You will find dozens of threads to review.
Good luck either way.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:42 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

You would have to take out the output shaft since it is different in length and change the tailshaft. When all is said and done, maybe you best get a rebuilt trans. Give Rossler Trans in Girard OH a call.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:47 PM
gaguy
Advanced

Get transmission manual and read for 5 hours, then 5 more. More you read easier job will seem.
I never took Corvette tr. apart but I guess it takes tr. mechanic 30 min. to do(not including cleaning time).
I ordered manual yesterday.
Converter, pan, filter, valve body, servos, pump.
After that you can just turn tr. tail up and rest of parts will fall down.
Did I say it right? Pete?
Or you can send me your transmission. Today and yesterday I fixed 2 transmissions: from power seats, right and left.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Crzyfrlss1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go get a trans. from Mad Dog Transmissions. for friend did this for his 85' after the original went south on him. Awesome tranny and not one single factory component in it except the case.This is the one he got...very good price too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DttjRr_SNGY

But first take your driveshaft out and make sure it's not your rear end thats busted instead.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:57 PM
gaguy
Advanced

Send it to Pete.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:43 PM
gaguy
Advanced

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5av4...eature=related
Old 05-05-2010, 10:28 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gaguy
Send it to Pete.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:51 AM
frenchyoliver
Drifting

Can tell you, looking at those TV spots makes me dream !

We have a real American transmition problem here. ZERO reliable shop all over France.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:16 PM
rad928music
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

those early 700r4's in the vette dont last, had i known that myself id have put a trans cooler in there and run systhetic fuilds.
If you do get another tranny you can save some $$$ by putting it in yourself, just get a tranny dolly and some good jack stands, and a chilton manual and take your time.
I did mine and she's on her 4 year from a tranny i got of ebay for $350.
good luck
Old 05-06-2010, 04:31 PM
gaguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by rad928music
those early 700r4's in the vette dont last,
Automatic transmissions wear out like brake pads, clutch disks are made off the same material. And like brake pads it depends on style of driving.
There were a lot of complaints about Accord 98-02 transmissions. When I took mine apart I didn't find anything bad except clutch discs. (140K)
When discs are worn out fluid becomes dark and transmission is slipping.
Particles of worn out friction discs clog main filter and small screens.
Who knows, are there specific problems with 700R4 transmissions? Beside common wear?
Old 05-07-2010, 03:01 AM
jmkvette
Intermediate

Thanks guys. After having a couple of days to think about it, I've decided to go ahead and rebuild the trans. myself. I found a detailed rebuild DVD on ebay for $30 and a master rebuild kit for $142. I am thinking of upgrading and either puting a shift correction kit or a performance shift kit in and a beefed up sun gear. I'm not planning on racing the car, just trying to cruise and may stomp on it once in awhile. I may plan on building the engine up from 230 stock hp to atleast 300hp, are there any other upgrades to the trans. I should think about doing since I'm not racing it? Although I have rebuilt a couple of engines in the past this will be my first transmission rebuild. Also, is it ok to use royal purple synthetic in a rebuilt transmission and in a rear diff.?

Last edited by jmkvette; 05-07-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Thanks guys. After having a couple of days to think about it, I've decided to go ahead and rebuild the trans. myself. I found a detailed rebuild DVD on ebay for $30 and a master rebuild kit for $142. I am thinking of upgrading and either puting a shift correction kit or a performance shift kit in and a beefed up sun gear. I'm not planning on racing the car, just trying to cruise and may stomp on it once in awhile. I may plan on building the engine up from 230 stock hp to atleast 300hp, are there any other upgrades to the trans. I should think about doing since I'm not racing it? Although I have rebuilt a couple of engines in the past this will be my first transmission rebuild. Also, is it ok to use royal purple synthetic in a rebuilt transmission and in a rear diff.?
This link may be helpful.

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules...=10612&forum=1
Old 05-07-2010, 01:16 PM
jmkvette
Intermediate

Thanks Pete, That answers alot of questions and now I don't need to buy a dvd. Your break down is superb! I will study it and make sure I do a top notch job and promise not to half *** it. I have another vehicle to drive so I have plenty of time and will take it slow. Thanks again for all your and everyone elses help.

Thanks Crzyfrlss1, I will deffinitelly double check the rear diff before I get started.

Get notified of new replies

To Can my '85 transmission be saved or junked?

Old 12-07-2015, 11:32 PM
Kevman36
2nd Gear

Default Not true rebuild kit to do your self only 150 in pretty easy

Not true rebuild kit is only 150
And pretty easy to do
Old 12-07-2015, 11:34 PM
Kevman36
2nd Gear

Default Not true rebuild kit to do your self only 150 in pretty easy

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
This made me laugh lol.

I think you are looking at atleast $1000 in repairs
Not true rebuild kit is only 150 and pretty easy to do
Old 12-08-2015, 01:38 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

This thread might be helpful:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...and-tools.html

Quick Reply: Can my '85 transmission be saved or junked?