C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Looking for Oil Cooler Hoses

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 05:15 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Looking for Oil Cooler Hoses

I want to replace the 2 oil cooler coolant hoses on my '86. 1 of them is discontinued (the S shaped inlet hose) and the other seems to be a S/O from Rockauto.

Does anyone have a line on the discontinued hose, part # 14084012 or has anyone successfully used regular heater hose w/o it kinking? And no, I don't want to bypass the cooler. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by C4boy
I want to replace the 2 oil cooler coolant hoses on my '86. 1 of them is discontinued (the S shaped inlet hose) and the other seems to be a S/O from Rockauto.

Does anyone have a line on the discontinued hose, part # 14084012 or has anyone successfully used regular heater hose w/o it kinking? And no, I don't want to bypass the cooler. Thanks.
"tuff" one. with GM's money problems, they are discontinuing replacement parts for older cars at an alarming rate. until the aftermarket parts industry catches up, this might take some creative engineering. you might want to find some pre-formed hose for another application, and cutting/trimming/whatever to meet your needs. here's an example of what i'm talking about...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/24049...Q5fAccessories

i'm not sure about the size, but the "S" section might work - ???

NOTE: I HAVE NO INTEREST IN THIS EBAY AUCTION. I'M ONLY LISTING IT FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:19 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Joe C
"tuff" one. with GM's money problems, they are discontinuing replacement parts for older cars at an alarming rate. until the aftermarket parts industry catches up, this might take some creative engineering. you might want to find some pre-formed hose for another application, and cutting/trimming/whatever to meet your needs. here's an example of what i'm talking about...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/24049...Q5fAccessories

i'm not sure about the size, but the "S" section might work - ???

NOTE: I HAVE NO INTEREST IN THIS EBAY AUCTION. I'M ONLY LISTING IT FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES.
I don't think any of the aftermarket rubber companies ever made these hoses. At least that's the way it looks from my research. I might try taking the hose off and try to match it up to something in a parts store, but parts guys ain't what they used to be.

I now there have been a few threads about these hoses, being discontinued but didn't find any info on whether straight heater hose worked or not.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:55 PM
L82shark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Its kind of like the lower plenum hose on the L98 that connects the plenum to the intake. Couldnt locate one so I went to a parts house with the old one in hand. Guy let me in the back and I compared it to everything they had, finally found one that had the same form, had to cut most of it off but I didnt have to worry about it kinking. Also, on larger hoses you can try trucker parts places, I have had good luck there finding the larger hoses to replace fuel tank filler hoses and such. They should have something big enough for the oil cooler line. Good luck with it!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

didn't find any info on whether straight heater hose worked or not.
Regular 5/8" heater hose is fine but I swapped out the block fitting for a 90 degree one so the hose has a straight run at the cooler inlet
Old 05-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I have one. New in the bag.
PM'ed
Old 05-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Mark85Vett
Pro

I don't think any of the aftermarket rubber companies ever made these hoses.
Gates made them; I bought some about 10 years ago. Not too sure if they still do or not; I bypassed mine and run synthetic now.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:24 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Take them to a place that makes hydraulic hoses. They can fix you up.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:39 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by MK 82
Take them to a place that makes hydraulic hoses. They can fix you up.
The hoses in the oil cooler system use open ends and clamps. The biggest issue is that these hoses have molded curves in them.

But companies that sell pre-molded hoses will have catalogs that show a wide variety of small hoses in a variety of ID's and bends. There could be pre-molded hoses with all sorts of bends and you simply cut out the bends you need. Find a parts store that will let you look thru an AC Delco or Gates hose catalog. Most parts stores will have assorted hoses in stock and you might ask if you could look at them to match something up.

Another way is to use braided hose in bulk lengths. The metal tube that goes along the oil pan and crosses in front of it is also no longer available Braided hose and insulated clamps would be a good workaround for that.

But the oil cooler really doesn't provide a lot of cooling for the oil. If you change to a full synthetic, oils of that type will handler higher oil temps easily and would make the OEM cooler unneeded. In fact, Corvette engineers dropped the L98 oil cooler when the LT1 engine was being developed as they switched to Mobil-1 as the factory fill.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:53 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

I'll probably give the straight heater hose a shot and see if I can find a match for the molded one in parts store later. I think I can get the other at Rock.

In the old days of catalogs, I'd just look through a buyers guide and try and match it up. But nobody uses catalogs anymore!
Old 05-18-2010, 11:50 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'll probably give the straight heater hose a shot and see if I can find a match for the molded one in parts store later. I think I can get the other at Rock.

In the old days of catalogs, I'd just look through a buyers guide and try and match it up. But nobody uses catalogs anymore!
Our shop gets AC Delco and Gates hose catalogs from a local parts supplier. We can still order stuff online but the catalog is great for matching up older hoses. The catalogs show not only a pic of the hose but dimensions. Drop by a repair shop and ask if they would give you an old book. Books are printed each year.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:43 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Just for future reference.. I replaced both hoses yesterday and you can get away with 5/8" heater hose for both. The S shaped inlet hose (14084012) wasn't quite perfect, so I found a molded hose that worked. The Advance Auto Driverite part # is 300146 or Dayco 86127 - $5. One end had a slightly larger ID so I cut that end.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:52 PM
budprice
3rd Gear

Default Problem Solved

Ecklers has them now- Inlet is 25-113360-1. Outlet is 25-113359-1.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for Oil Cooler Hoses

Quick Reply: Looking for Oil Cooler Hoses