C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Another magnaflow thread????

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:59 PM
npbassman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another magnaflow thread????

Ya, ya. I know.

OK, so I've performed a forum search and I've filtered through 50 or so threads and I'm still wondering if the Magnaflow cat back system for my 93 LT1 is going to have heavy drone/resonance or not. Everyone seems to like to exhaust note but then the posts range from "sounds great, no drone!" to "mild drone at XX RPM", to "it makes my head rattle, I'm gonna get rid of it". Well, which one is it?

I currently have a bone stock LT1 ZF6 with the exception of an X pipe and flowmasters (don't know what series) that the PO put on the car and I'm tired of it. It does sound GREAT and it turns heads. But, I can't think or have a conversation with someone at idle or at any speed because the system in general is really loud when it's not droning and then mind numbing when the drone kicks in on top of that. And I don't even have headers yet! People have recommended that I put a stock system back on and trust me, I'm tempted, but I don't want to completely neuter this thing and have it sound like a Kia. On the other hand, I don't have the $$ to blow on a Corsa system either.....

Help!

Mike
Old 07-07-2010, 05:25 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Drone doesn't just come from the mufflers. The LT1 resonator helped with that issue (hence the name). If the MagnaFlow cat back you are looking at is the stainless set it will probably exhibit some resonance on your car. It should be better than the FlowMasters.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:48 PM
JD868
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I have an 86 so don't know exactly what difference there will be,but when I first put on magnaflows it sounded horrible,but I also went duals and cat delete..anyways yesterday went back to the shop and added a couple of glass packs and huge difference,I love it now..very little drone and nice low rumble,made it a little quieter but still aggressive enough for a daily driver,and pretty cheap too

note that when I say "very little drone" it does mean that it is still there,but in comparison to before it is much better..just didn't want to give the wrong idea good luck

Last edited by JD868; 07-07-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:12 PM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

As you stated above there will be a dozen different answers as this question of sound level and drone is extremely subjective and you should actually find some of your fellow Corvette buddies and see for yourself if that is at all possible.

My two cents - I went from a stock factory exhaust on my 94 LT-1 to muffler eliminators. I loved the sound but it was just not mean enough. It also had a bad resonance at 1800 rpm. Later I did a heads and cam package with long tube headers and a Magnaflow Catback with RT Cats and X pipe by Maganflow. It sounded much meaner and a little louder but still the same drone. But here is where it gets interesting.... next mod was 3.54 gears. I went from 2.59 to 3.54... this made a huge difference on where in the power band the drone was. I swear now that the drone seems to be at least 50 to 60% less than before. So, as someone else stated there is a lot more to the drone than just mufflers. The C4 "tub" and storage bins are like a speakers sound box that amplifies all vibrations too. Bottom line, I think that Magnaflows are great sounding mufflers but you will probably still have a good deal of droning especially if its an automatic with 2.59 gears.

Get notified of new replies

To Another magnaflow thread????

Quick Reply: Another magnaflow thread????