C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

oil pan removal L98

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:38 PM
black88z51
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got it out by removing only one of the frame braces. Then when I tried putting the new one in there was no way. I removed the second frame brace and still no way. Then I put the two oil pans side by side and saw what the problem was. The new oil pan I bought off Summit Racing and was made in China, it is square at the ends and not round so it never fits unless you raise the engine out. Where's the best place to buy an oil pan that's stamped the same way as the original OEM?

See the two side by side big difference when you have no room to work with. Those scratches on the Chinese oil pan is where it was getting jammed against the frame.

Name:  chineseoilpan.jpg
Views: 2794
Size:  27.5 KB

Last edited by black88z51; 06-10-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:11 PM
black88z51
Racer

Screw the Chinese oil pan, I took the old one to work and refurbished it! It's nice to work for a company that has a toolroom, paint line, and welders. The problem was it leaked from the bolt. I drilled the damaged threads out, and turned a new 1/4-20 bushing on the lath and then had it welded. Stripped the pan and had it powder coated with a tough scratch proof paint. The whole job only took like 2 hours and I'm very happy with the results. Tomorrow when I put it back in the car at least I know it will go in easy.

Name:  oilpanrefurbished.jpg
Views: 2265
Size:  22.5 KB

Name:  oilpanrefurbished2.jpg
Views: 2226
Size:  43.8 KB
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (05-06-2023)
Old 06-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

That's using your head!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:50 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by black88z51
I got it out by removing only one of the frame braces. Then when I tried putting the new one in there was no way. I removed the second frame brace and still no way. Then I put the two oil pans side by side and saw what the problem was. The new oil pan I bought off Summit Racing and was made in China, it is square at the ends and not round so it never fits unless you raise the engine out. Where's the best place to buy an oil pan that's stamped the same way as the original OEM?
I had a thread on this a few weeks ago. Pans not made for vettes won't work on vettes and visa-versa. "Normal" SBC pans are too deep for clearance or they sacrifice capacity. The sump on vette pans won't fit other chassis. It LOOKS the the one you picked would have held less oil -- if you got it to work.

Whatever pan you picked from Summit couldn't have been specified for a Corvette 84-91 because I'm 99% sure they don't carry them (Chinese or not). So, you or the phone jockey were the real error in that purchase.

Pace, eBay, Chevy, and salvage are the only options I know of. And, as mentioned earlier in this thread, people want a bunch for this particular pan. Salvage value is over $100!

LT1 pans fit but you have to plug the oil sensor.

What you did looks good -- after you got things figured out.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:17 PM
black88z51
Racer

I got it back in, I'm putting back everything except the cross braces so I can start it up and look for any leaks.

Thanks Gregg and Midnight, and the rest of you guys that helped me out on this.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:47 PM
Street89vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default L98 tpi Oil Pan removal - #1 counter balance at crank shaft?

Thinking about removing oil pan has small leak at front. If i turn engine over with the #1 cylinder spark plug out and check for piston to be "Down" will the counter balance be "Up" and out of the way for pan removal ? please no laughing serious question. LOL
Old 03-24-2017, 10:14 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Street89vette
Thinking about removing oil pan has small leak at front. If i turn engine over with the #1 cylinder spark plug out and check for piston to be "Down" will the counter balance be "Up" and out of the way for pan removal ? please no laughing serious question. LOL
You should consider starting a new thread instead of posting on a 7 year old one.

Quick Reply: oil pan removal L98