C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Good way to dress up wiring inside engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:16 AM
jdraughn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good way to dress up wiring inside engine bay?

I am getting ready to install my engine in my 1990. It will be all stock except for the addition of new lifters and zz9 cam. I have started to clean up the engine bay to try and make it the whole thing look pretty nice but I don't know what to do about the wiring.

I don't want to use the cheap plastic loom with a split down the middle - it looks cheap and it tends to get brittle with age and heat. I am a computer geek and I have bought PC power supplies that have some kind of woven material over the wiring. It looks really top notch but I don't know where to buy something similar that would hold up in the extreme conditions that an engine bay would put it through.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, any other parts I really should replace while the engine is out?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How about this....

http://cableorganizer.com/convoshield/
Old 06-13-2010, 11:38 AM
ks5shooter
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13

Nice good link thanks
Old 06-13-2010, 01:57 PM
jdraughn
Instructor

Thank you, that got me started in the right direction.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:13 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

You need to replace your springs the stock springs are not going to handle the lift.. The LT4 hot cam spring kit will work and it's Very well priced.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:02 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Prefer a stock or clean look to wiringits always struck me as something that should not be seen or if so mini
ized. Those fake braided and colored covers always looked goofy but some like them. There are rolls of the tar type/textured wire cover available try ebay found mine at a local auto swap meet.some prefer a stock type wiring wrap available at most electrical outlets. Name your poison
Old 06-13-2010, 09:48 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Prefer a stock or clean look to wiringits always struck me as something that should not be seen or if so minimized. Those fake braided and colored covers always looked goofy but some like them.

The best builds (to me) are the ones where you can't even see the wires. I've shown pics of chrome vettes with the chrome looms to friends/family. Many/most like them and think it makes the engine compartment look more expensive.

I think it looks like a messy sea of shiney spagetti -- not a well-organized motor.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:47 AM
jdraughn
Instructor

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN

The best builds (to me) are the ones where you can't even see the wires. I've shown pics of chrome vettes with the chrome looms to friends/family. Many/most like them and think it makes the engine compartment look more expensive.

I think it looks like a messy sea of shiney spagetti -- not a well-organized motor.
I agree, but that site had many different styles, the kevlar ones caught my eye. I would like to go for a minimized look. I don't care for the chrome look myself and was planning on powder coating or painting the intake, alternator, brackets, ect...

Get notified of new replies

To Good way to dress up wiring inside engine bay?

Quick Reply: Good way to dress up wiring inside engine bay?