C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wish your C4 Frame was Stiffer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Would like info as well.

thanks
Old 06-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
I would post who makes them, but it does not look like they are a vendor here anymore
Edelbrock makes an intake manifolds many on this forum use...they're not a forum vendor. Post up who it is!!

The flexi frame is the biggest down fall to the C4, hands down. It is the one (and only) thing that I liked better about my C6. I'm super keen on this (or any thing) that will stiffen the twisting aspect of the frame. I wonder why this unit uses heim joints; it SEEMS like rigid mounting points would add to frame stiffness more than pivoting mounting points.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 06-20-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

R&D racing is my guess...
Old 06-20-2010, 02:42 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Jason at www.vette2vette.com
Old 06-20-2010, 03:17 PM
SpedRacr93
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
Just curious as to how this works. Dont the frame rails run front to back? How is adding, what is essentially another rail, going to stiffen the chassis? I can see it making a difference for launches but torsional stiffness would be the same. The idea behind the x brace is to link the two sides together to increas the torsional stiffness. This idea is still only one side.

Im not trying to bash the product, just trying to understand the reasoning behind it. Perhaps there is something I am missing.
Anything to strengthen the chasis is an improvement.

The design looks to me to mimic the strength of an I beam, so basically it is going to reduce torsional flex. The cross brace does the same thing, it just goes across the car and may actually be more effective, but this design undoubtedly would yield noticeably good results as well. You have two tubes running in parallel down the length of the car to the points where flex from the suspension will transmit through the frame, so yes, it will increase strength.

The C5 & C6 has basically the same frame design as the C4, it is the methodology behind building them that the engineers were able to create a much stronger frame. Mainly Hydroforming of a single frame rail from front to back, but many other improvements as well, whereas the C4 was put together with a bunch of pieces and spot welded together...

I'm interested in seeing what this will cost as well
Old 06-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by SpedRacr93
the C4 was put together with a bunch of pieces and spot welded together...
I've always wondered if there would be any meaningful improvement from stripping down a C4 and mig welding every seam...then putting it back together.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:35 PM
BIRDMANmx5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

somEbody said PERHAPS

Last edited by BIRDMANmx5; 06-20-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: SPELINNG
Old 06-20-2010, 10:30 PM
tombrammer
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

It looks like the reason it works is because it is a tensional member of the frame. If you have a beam with two wheels, one at each end and put weight in the center, the beam will sag (bend downward) in the middle. If you add something like a rod under the beam it will try to stretch not allowing the frame to bend down if it has attaching points at each end an one in the middle. Sounds interesting.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:07 AM
94vettelover2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-21-2010, 03:40 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SpedRacr93
Anything to strengthen the chasis is an improvement.

The design looks to me to mimic the strength of an I beam, so basically it is going to reduce torsional flex. The cross brace does the same thing, it just goes across the car and may actually be more effective, but this design undoubtedly would yield noticeably good results as well. You have two tubes running in parallel down the length of the car to the points where flex from the suspension will transmit through the frame, so yes, it will increase strength.

The C5 & C6 has basically the same frame design as the C4, it is the methodology behind building them that the engineers were able to create a much stronger frame. Mainly Hydroforming of a single frame rail from front to back, but many other improvements as well, whereas the C4 was put together with a bunch of pieces and spot welded together...

I'm interested in seeing what this will cost as well
to answer your question about the cost, I understand that the cost will be in the $700 + range that's why I'm considerring R-D racing cross frame

Quick Reply: Wish your C4 Frame was Stiffer?