Successful 86 Vette EGR/AIR/Emissions System Removal - For the curious. - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

Successful 86 Vette EGR/AIR/Emissions System Removal - For the curious.

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Successful 86 Vette EGR/AIR/Emissions System Removal - For the curious.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:19 AM
Richsc4

Default 87 smog removal

Originally Posted by turbodiesel View Post
i wanna do this to in my 87

but will i still pass phx az emmisions..lol
Just removed all that smog crap from my 87, waiting for that fancy pulley/bracket. Detailing the compartment while waiting. I'm in AZ and have the antique/historic plates. DMV told me just get antique vehicle auto ins that cost me 86.00 every 6 months and no emissions testing required. Only drawback is I can only drive 3000 miles per year. Will let everyone know if I feel any difference in power, doubt it but sure has cleaned it up. I can now see the timing mark. When I bought car the EGR and cats already gone with a nice exhaust and headers installed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Richsc4 For This Useful Post:
RedHot85Vette (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 09:36 AM
1cooldaddyo
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Smog check

Smog specs were pretty loose back then compared to what they are now so a functioning cat is usually all you need.
I had an '85 Monte SS that used the same cat as the corvette. I had already stripped out the computer and it was just a holley 4bbl and a vacume advance distributor.
The flat flange on the converter made it easy to swap between a gutted one for everyday and a fuctioning one once a year for smog.
Convertor was actualky glowing red due to a screwed up carb, but it passed Ft Lauderdale emissions with flying colors.
No egr or air either.
The guys at my local garage took it as a challenge to get it to pass without the cat. We came really close. We kept leaning out the idle mix and got within .1 on HC before the NoX shot up. Looking back, I think if I had pulled a little timing I would have been golden

Last edited by 1cooldaddyo; 07-10-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:01 AM
RedHot85Vette
CF Member

Originally Posted by Richsc4 View Post
When I bought car the EGR and cats already gone with a nice exhaust and headers installed.
...Lukeeeee!

Been working on my intake... all along looking at and working around all that smog crap... also working on the cooling system, ignition system, wires, plugs, etc... cleaning up the engine bay... and it would be a lot easier without the smog things in the way. Had to remove at least 2 small, tight, odd, hoses (1 end 3/4, 1 end 5/8) passenger side, had to split the hoses, then repair them with rubber fuse tape, just so I could change #2 plug & wire. What a bunch of engine bay real estate that ugly junk takes up!

Question: am I going to pop any codes when I remove all of it's components, especially the components with electrical connectors attached.

Where are you getting your bypass pulley from, and how much? Might gut the pump like some guys do, til I'm brave enough to pay for the bracket. Then again, might just bite it and get the bracket/pulley... procrastinating...

I don't worry about emissions, NY state.

I'm going to try those muffler delete pipes. Got a good deal on them at eBay.

John
Old 07-10-2018, 11:40 AM
hcbph
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1986 L98 View Post
I've just seen your thread and performed the procedure, I think. I'm a disabled Vet, however, can still get around and my '86 Vette is kinda my therapy. Some stretching but alls good Herein lies the problem, runs awesome until operating temp is reached, then misfires/stumbles/power loss.I'm going to get another pair of eyes on it to see if I removed and capped everything, which I think I did. I've moved to Martinsburg, WV so as to be close to my VAMC so your not to far away. Please respond.
Thanks,
KSBledsoe
USMC (retired)
email @ [email protected]
PH (304) 350-7220
Just noticed this one. Check out your IAC, on the bottom front of the throttle body. I had mine sticking at one point and would do just as you described after a few blocks. Might also have disconnected the connector when you were working on it. Mine was sticking apparently and a couple of raps with a plastic faced hammer freed it up from what I could tell.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:02 AM
ddahlgren
CF Senior Member

It was my understanding the air pump only has open ports to the manifolds and cats during startup though I may be wrong.but it would make sense to light off the cat and the sleazy move of pumping in air to make the ppm go down by making the millions go up. The air pump should do nothing to cause mileage to go down or cause knocks. The EGR might require some adjustment of the timing tables at part throttle. My understanding again that again may be wrong is the EGR does nothing at WOT. The air pump replacement setup should not be that hard to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to ddahlgren For This Useful Post:
RedHot85Vette (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 05:09 PM
RedHot85Vette
CF Member

Originally Posted by hcbph View Post
Just noticed this one. Check out your IAC, on the bottom front of the throttle body. I had mine sticking at one point and would do just as you described after a few blocks. Might also have disconnected the connector when you were working on it. Mine was sticking apparently and a couple of raps with a plastic faced hammer freed it up from what I could tell.

...just to add to yours ...just rebuilt my throttle body, apparently never done since birth 1985, while at it, discovered IAC can get pretty "sticky" in there... especially near, around, on and out, the pintle, pintle seat, and around the spring... had to carve & brush some out and get the rest with my Dremel... picked up a Spare Idle Air Control /IAC at RockAuto for $7.00 + Shipping. They Range from about $7.00 Airtex/Wells to AC Delco about $45. Cheap Upgrade/Update, or known-good-part for testing... also picked up a Throttle Position Sensor/TPS and spare Gasket Set (Standard Motor Products #2009)/SMP2009 (PS. SMP #2009 is the only Complete Set I could find. All the gaskets including even one for the IAC). Cheap stuff to have in my "Personal Roadside Assistance Kit/PRAK" ~ John
Old 07-18-2018, 11:05 PM
Richsc4

Just finished up mine!! Lucky for me that the cats and egr where already gone, so I just tore her down and put some makeup on her along with some new elec. plugs that where broken, oil pressure switch, cap & rotor. So I have some parts avail if someone needs this cheap. Runs great, no lights, original belt.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:11 PM
Richsc4

Default 87 air pump delete

Just finished up mine!! Lucky for me that the cats and egr where already gone, so I just tore her down and put some makeup on her along with some new elec. plugs that where broken, oil pressure switch, cap & rotor. So I have some parts avail if someone needs this cheap. Runs great, no lights, original belt.
The Following User Says Thank You to Richsc4 For This Useful Post:
RedHot85Vette (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 01:12 PM
RedHot85Vette
CF Member

Your engine looks so happy without all that junk on it. I've got the air pump delete pulley enroute as we speak. I have an '85 to work on. Just a little bit different then yours. I've a bit more work to do as I have all that plumbing attached to my manifolds. Looking at your removed parts, I wonder how much all of it, everything right down to the hose clamps, weighs.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:33 PM
Richsc4

I still have the small tubes coming out of every header tube that go into a primary that I capped off. Those will be cut off and tig welded closed before I do a header wrap. The heat from those long tube headers play hell on plastics.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Successful 86 Vette EGR/AIR/Emissions System Removal - For the curious.

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: