C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Suspension information

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 11:27 AM
fred of france
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Suspension information

Hello all
I recently bought a 1992 convertible C4 Corvette
she has 76000 miles, and I have not paid too much
it is equipped with wheel and non-OEM tire
295 X 35 X 18
it is also equipped with coil over which I do not know the brand
these coilover apparently have no settings ??
I would like to dismount them to clean them but I do not know how to do ??
If you have any information, thank you very much
Fred
Old 06-19-2019, 11:36 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,126 Likes on 733 Posts

Use spring compressors on the spring.

On some coil overs you can open the ball joint and drop the lower A arm.
The spring / shock combo will be shorter than the distance opened up by the A arm lowering. Use a jack under the A Arm to lower it. Then you can take it out.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:32 PM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

First - those wheels look perfect on that car!

I don't think you need a spring compressor or to separate the ball joint. From what I understand, you can just jack the car up to put the wheels at full droop and remove it as if it were a normal shock absorber, then thread off the lock ring and spring perch using the coil-over wrenches to safely take any tension off the spring.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:05 PM
fred of france
Instructor

Originally Posted by BLUE1972

The spring / shock combo will be shorter than the distance opened up by the A arm lowering. Use a jack under the A Arm to lower it. Then you can take it out.
Originally Posted by daverulz
First - those wheels look perfect on that car!

I don't think you need a spring compressor or to separate the ball joint. From what I understand, you can just jack the car up to put the wheels at full droop and remove it as if it were a normal shock absorber, then thread off the lock ring and spring perch using the coil-over wrenches to safely take any tension off the spring.
Thank you for your answers
first I would like to dismount this set without touching the spring to clean them, and understand how it works
I saw under the spring 2 nuts, what is it used for?
can the assembly be dismounted by dismounting the two bolts on the lower arm, and the nut at the top?
Old 06-19-2019, 02:25 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

That is not right for this setup.

Originally Posted by fred of france
I saw under the spring 2 nuts, what is it used for?
can the assembly be dismounted by dismounting the two bolts on the lower arm, and the nut at the top?
Bingo. You should be able to remove the assembly with the two bolts at the bottom, and one nut up top. It's possible (depending on how the spring/shocks are assembled) that the shock rod could come out of the top spring mount after you remove the top nut. For that reason, *I* would remove the preload from the springs with the two adjusting nuts under the spring, first. When the spring is unloaded, then I would remove the assembly from the car.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:38 PM
fred of france
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
That is not right for this setup.

Bingo. You should be able to remove the assembly with the two bolts at the bottom, and one nut up top. It's possible (depending on how the spring/shocks are assembled) that the shock rod could come out of the top spring mount after you remove the top nut. For that reason, *I* would remove the preload from the springs with the two adjusting nuts under the spring, first. When the spring is unloaded, then I would remove the assembly from the car.
Thank you ,
if I understand well, it is better to remove the pressure of the spring before depositing all
I should find out how is compressed the spring to put it back after cleaning
Old 06-19-2019, 02:50 PM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Mark, measure, or count the threads before you take the pre-load off the springs, then you can put them back the way they were after the coilovers are cleaned up.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:39 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

There are a lot of mis-conceptions about coil-overs. The coil-over is a complete unit, and does NOT need to be adjusted or disassembled before removal. The two big nuts at the bottom of the spring are used to adjust the HEIGHT of the car, or the balance of the two coil-overs on that axle. The compressed length of the spring will be the same, no matter how you adjust those nuts. It's the load on that spring that determines the length of that spring. The spring is rated in lbs./inch of compression, and adjusting those nuts has nothing to do with the physical characteristics of the spring.

To disassemble the spring from the shock, removing the big nuts will normally relieve the tension on the spring enough that a spring compressor is NOT required.

Here's one of the chassis I built:
Old 06-19-2019, 04:06 PM
fred of france
Instructor

Originally Posted by daverulz
Mark, measure, or count the threads before you take the pre-load off the springs, then you can put them back the way they were after the coilovers are cleaned up.
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
There are a lot of mis-conceptions about coil-overs. The coil-over is a complete unit, and does NOT need to be adjusted or disassembled before removal. The two big nuts at the bottom of the spring are used to adjust the HEIGHT of the car, or the balance of the two coil-overs on that axle. The compressed length of the spring will be the same, no matter how you adjust those nuts. It's the load on that spring that determines the length of that spring. The spring is rated in lbs./inch of compression, and adjusting those nuts has nothing to do with the physical characteristics of the spring.

To disassemble the spring from the shock, removing the big nuts will normally relieve the tension on the spring enough that a spring compressor is NOT required.

Here's one of the chassis I built:
thank's for your response ,,
i think it is safe at you said to release the pressure of the spring before remove the assembly for cleaning , after marking and measure the position of the 2 nuts
This coil over installed semmed be an basic model installation ,, Vette is unconfortable on bad road ,,,, and too low
How can i do to return at an OEM height for standart use ?
Sorry for my writting , i am french !!!
Old 06-19-2019, 05:03 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by fred of france
I think it is safe as you said to release the pressure of the spring before remove the assembly for cleaning
Let me be clear: It is NOT necessary to release the pressure of the spring before you remove the coil-over from the car.

Vette is uncomfortable on bad road ,,,, and too low. What can I do to return at an OEM height for standard use?
To reduce the stiff (harsh) ride, the springs can be replaced with spring of a lower spring rate. (Lower pounds per inch deflection)

To increase the ride height, adjust the big nuts on the bottom of the spring to a higher position on the coil-over. Adjusting these nuts will NOT change the ride characteristics of the car.

I built the chassis for the blue and the black cars, which are in Jonquieres, France:

Old 06-19-2019, 07:41 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Just be careful, I removed a set of Coil overs from a friends Camaro which did not have any adjustments.

He stated they have no settings. I would remove the spring pressure and then remove the coil over,

As a replacement there are many adjustable coil overs that are available with many spring rates.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:14 PM
fred of france
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Let me be clear: It is NOT necessary to release the pressure of the spring before you remove the coil-over from the car.

To reduce the stiff (harsh) ride, the springs can be replaced with spring of a lower spring rate. (Lower pounds per inch deflection)

To increase the ride height, adjust the big nuts on the bottom of the spring to a higher position on the coil-over. Adjusting these nuts will NOT change the ride characteristics of the car.

I built the chassis for the blue and the black cars, which are in Jonquieres, France:
Just be careful, I removed a set of Coil overs from a friends Camaro which did not have any adjustments.

He stated they have no settings. I would remove the spring pressure and then remove the coil over,

As a replacement there are many adjustable coil overs that are available with many spring rates.
Thank's
Did you have an idea of the make and model of this coilover and where can i find whitch model of springs they are
Witch kind of spring must i install to have a most confortable car on little road of France ??
Old 06-20-2019, 04:09 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Fred, voici un traducteur anglais-français, et vice-versa. J'en ai utilisé un pour aider un gars du Québec. Beaucoup plus facile, de converser
il suffit de changer la direction de la traduction et il va vous aider beaucoup.
Vous changez la façon dont le traducteur va en cliquant sur le côté source (le côté gauche, a un point jaune à côté de lui) et en sélectionnant la langue

https://translate.yandex.com/translator/French-English

Guys, you can use the same translator, just change the direction the translation is going and it will help out a lot.
You change the way the translator is going by clicking on the source side (the left side, has a yellow dot beside it) and selecting the language

This is what the statement above looks like in French. I used a translator like this to help one of the board members from Quebec

Les gars, vous pouvez utiliser le même Traducteur, juste changer la direction de la traduction va et il aidera beaucoup.
Vous changez la façon dont le traducteur va en cliquant sur le côté source (le côté gauche, a un point jaune à côté de lui) et en sélectionnant la langue

If you run multiple tabs, then type out your response in English, then cut and paste it into the translator, etc. That way the folks here can follow the conversation.

Last edited by drcook; 06-20-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:33 PM
fred of france
Instructor

thank you very much for this translator,, I usually use google translate , and it seems work ???
Old 06-20-2019, 04:47 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Le traducteur de Google ne semble pas faire paraître la langue naturelle et fluide, il ya des phrases qui ne sont pas les meilleurs. Il fait passer l'idée, mais semble un peu "étrange" si cela a du sens.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:56 PM
fred of france
Instructor

Originally Posted by drcook
Le traducteur de Google ne semble pas faire paraître la langue naturelle et fluide, il ya des phrases qui ne sont pas les meilleurs. Il fait passer l'idée, mais semble un peu "étrange" si cela a du sens.
Really sorry ,

I apologize

Old 06-20-2019, 05:05 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Vous n'avez pas besoin de vous excuser. Comment voulez-vous savoir ? En fait, comment saurais-je si la traduction de ce site de l'anglais au français semble correcte ?

You don't need to apologize. How would you know ? In fact, how would I know if the translation from this site from English to French sounds correct ?

Last edited by drcook; 06-20-2019 at 05:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension information

Old 06-20-2019, 05:09 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,288 Likes on 870 Posts

How about we use some proper terminology for coilover pieces. Hat, sleeve and collar.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:13 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Speedway Motors - speed shop has a lot of pictures of the coil overs as does Honest Charley speed shop. They can be found on the web.

This may give you additional information.

Part # 91645550

Speedway Non-Adjustable Coil Spring Spacer

$14.99

(14)

Modified, Stock Car

Show only Coil Spring Spacers
Show only Speedway Motors Coil Spring Spacers

Compare
Quick View

Part # 72146732

Pro Coil Over Conversion Kit, Non Adjustable

$449.99
$619.80

Universal Fit, Non-Adjustable Shock Adjustability

Ships Free
On Sale

Shock Adjustability: Non-Adjustable

Height Adjustable: Yes

Adjustable: No

Show only Coilovers
Show only Speedway Motors Coilovers

Compare
Quick View

Part # 2553253B

Speedway Coil Over Shock Kit 140 Rate, 13.1 Inch Mounted

$369.99

(2)

Universal Fit, 140 lbs. Spring Rate, Front Position

Ships Free

Spring Rate: 140 lbs.

Position: Front

Mounted Length: 13.1"

Show only Coilovers
Show only Speedway Motors Coilovers

Compare
Quick View

Part # 1061340CT

AFCO 1340CT Pro Touring Fixed Valve Coil-Over Shock, 4 Inch Stroke

$202.99
$219.99

(1)

Universal Fit, Twin Tube Shock Type, 4.00 Shock Stroke

Ships Free
On Sale

Shock Type: Twin Tube

Shock Body Material: Aluminum

Shock Body Size: Large Body

Show only Coilovers
Show only AFCO Coilovers

Compare
Quick View

Part # 1061350

AFCO Non-Adjustable Alum. Coil-Over Shock Kit, 5 Inch Stroke, 11 Inch Comp.

$469.99

Ships Free

Mounted Length: 14"

Shock Body Type: Threaded

Show only Coilovers
Show only AFCO Coilovers

Compare
Quick View

Part # 1061340

AFCO Non-Adjustable Alum. Coil-Over Shock Kit, 4 Inch Stroke, 10 Inch Comp.

$469.99

Ships Free

Mounted Length: 12.75"

Show only Coilovers
Show only AFCO Coilovers

Compare
Quick View

Part # 721ALN4000K

QA1 ALN4000K Pro Coil-Over Conversion System, Rear, 175-350 lbs

$478.99
$561.80

Universal Fit, Rear Position, Eyelet Upper Shock Mount

Ships Free
On Sale

Position: Rear

Upper Shock Mount: Eyelet

Show only Coilovers
Show only QA1 Coilovers

Compare
Quick View

Part # 1061370

AFCO Non-Adjustable Alum. Coil-Over Shock Kit, 7 Inch Stroke, 13 Inch Comp.

$469.99

(1)
Ships Free

Mounted Length: 17.5"

Show only Coilovers
Show only AFCO Coilovers

Last edited by BLUE1972; 06-20-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:42 PM
fred of france
Instructor

Thank's for these info
This WE , i 've clean a little the front left side coilover
I've see this reference on the spring , do you know what does it mean ???

Quick Reply: Suspension information