C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

VSS signal wire for aftermarket speedo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Moon86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSS signal wire for aftermarket speedo?

I'm building a Cyberdyne digital dash for my 85. Do I have to tap into the wire coming from the vss at the tranny before it gets to the ecm? I was hoping to tap into the instrument cluster connector but read that the ecm converts the vss signal into mph for the lcd dash to use. The setup for the Cyberdyne speedo is to drive at 50 mph on a level road and push a button. I think this speedo will work with any vss but I'm not sure about the signal coming from the ecm. It doesn't seem like a big deal to tap into the vss signal wire but if I don't have to it would be easier. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:34 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Moon86
I'm building a Cyberdyne digital dash for my 85. Do I have to tap into the wire coming from the vss at the tranny before it gets to the ecm? I was hoping to tap into the instrument cluster connector but read that the ecm converts the vss signal into mph for the lcd dash to use. The setup for the Cyberdyne speedo is to drive at 50 mph on a level road and push a button. I think this speedo will work with any vss but I'm not sure about the signal coming from the ecm. It doesn't seem like a big deal to tap into the vss signal wire but if I don't have to it would be easier. Any help would be appreciated.
Not sure on an 85 but on my 96 there is definitely a VSS output wire coming from the PCM that can be used to drive an aftermarket speedo.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Mike263
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On 85 - 89 vettes the VSS raw sensor data is sent to the digital cluster, the cluster modifies the signal for the speedo, cruise control (also built into the cluster) and sends it to the ECM. Post 89 the VSS sensor data goes to the PCM and then to the speedo.
(i.e. the '165 ECM gets the signal from the cluster, the '730 ECM (and later) gets the signal from the VSS.

Without the digital cluster (85-89), all you have is the raw sensor data.
From what I understand the sensor sends out a sign wave. The speedo, cruise control and ECM need a square wave at a frequency of 4000 cycles per mile.

If the speedo you have can use a sign wave, then the VSS signal from the cluster wirng harness should work. If it works at all, this should be the case. A lot of cars in the 80's and 90's have the type of VSS the C4 uses (most GM, I think). It would seem that after market "self calibarting" speedo's should handle this.

You're problem may be a bad VSS sensor. Just a theory.

My experience with this stuff:
I got cheap and put the analog cluster from a 92 Camaro RS into my 86. It needed the sign wave to square wave conversion. That gen Camaro had a box to do the conversion. Without the box the speedo didn't work at all, it danced all over the place at any speed.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Moon86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the info. It explains alot. Mike, how did you tie the Camaro cluster wires into the Corvette instrument cluster harness? I would rather not cut the Vette instrument harness off but I would need something on the end of each instrument wire to be able to plug that wire into the Vette instrument harness plug.

Moon

Got the instruction sheet out for the speedo and it says that it will work with an input range of between 1000 and 200,000 pulses per mile.

Last edited by Moon86; 07-09-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:35 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Interesting post.....installed a new gauge cluster from Vette Aid, white face Autometers in my 85.......all gauges work wonderfully except the speedo....has an eratic needle at low speeds, but stables out somewhat at hwy. speeds......they even sent me a new speedo....same results after callibration?? could it be callibrated incorrectly causing an eratic needle???
Old 07-11-2010, 04:11 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike263
From what I understand the sensor sends out a sine wave. The speedo, cruise control and ECM need a square wave at a frequency of 4000 cycles per mile. .
Two different VSS units used
'165 has 2000 pulse VSS
'730 /727 has 4000 pulse VSS
Old 07-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Mike263
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moon86
Thanks for the info. It explains alot. Mike, how did you tie the Camaro cluster wires into the Corvette instrument cluster harness? I would rather not cut the Vette instrument harness off but I would need something on the end of each instrument wire to be able to plug that wire into the Vette instrument harness plug.
I found, from a post in the archive, that a '165 ECM 32 pin connector was the same as the digital cluster. I got an ECM from a salvage yard , removed the connector from the PC board and soldered my fabricated wiring harness to it, Then the vette's cluster harnesss plugs into this connector. It was a bad ECM, only paid $15 for it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-p...digi-dash.html

Last edited by Mike263; 07-11-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Moon86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

After trying every combo involving the ppl and yellow vss wires I couldn't get one peep out of the cyberdyne speedo. Kept giving me the error for no signal. Have to get under the car and check out the vss on the tranny and see if an aftermarket vss, that I know will send the correct signal, will install and fit.

To access the vss wires I clipped them about an inch back from the connector. I doubt if I'll ever hook them back up but I have the option anyway. Mike-- wish I had thought of what you did before I clipped the wires.

856SPEED-- That sucks that you spent all that money and the speedo doesn't work like it should. I canceled my order for the analog gauges after getting backordered twice and finding some Cyberdyne gauges on the shelf from a past project. Should have some pics soon.

Moon
Old 07-12-2010, 07:15 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

looks great though

no really I am 90% satisfied and 100% satisfied with the customer service end of it.....it is only at low speeds......they are taking care of me however! they call/e-mail me......have to give credit there for sure!

I think its actually something in the calibration (I hope).....we'll see....

Get notified of new replies

To VSS signal wire for aftermarket speedo?

Quick Reply: VSS signal wire for aftermarket speedo?