C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

looking to replace half-shaft u joints but...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:47 PM
JD868
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to replace half-shaft u joints but...

as I was doing a search I came across a comment that is similar to what I am experiencing

" Default u-joint help
i would also replace the coated washer that is between the wheel bearing and the splined output shaft when you have it all apart. i got them from the chevy dealer for about $5 each. the part number is 14076924. my 86 developed a squeek at the right rear and after much heartburn, it was this washer."

I am hearing a squeak at the left rear and first thought was u joint,but now I'm curious if I should try this washer first since it might be a little easier..any suggestions or experiences?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:02 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tear it apart and look. IMHO when you have it apart to do either u-joints or bearings/washer you're only a small step from being able to do the other.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:30 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you tear it apart to replace that washer, you might as well replace the ujoints since the halfshaft will be out.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:47 AM
JD868
Advanced

thanks guys,I misunderstood...I thought you could get to the washer without removing the half shaft completely but I only have a haynes manual and it's not that great..guess I'll see how good my mechanical skills are (or lack thereof)
Old 07-08-2010, 02:28 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JD868
thanks guys,I misunderstood...I thought you could get to the washer without removing the half shaft completely but I only have a haynes manual and it's not that great..guess I'll see how good my mechanical skills are (or lack thereof)
You don't have to pull the halfshaft. You could pull the wheel bearing off. But would be easier pulling the halfshaft, as some have to pull the halfshaft to pull the bearing, but some don't.

The halfshaft is easy to remove. You'll have to first loosen the spindle nut. Then disconnect the sway bar end link at the knuckle and swing it out of the way. Then disconnect the tie rod. Unbolt ujoint straps, and you may have to pull the knuckle away from the car some to break the halfshaft free. Then the halfshaft can be pulled out from below.

From what gets posted alot, you'll want to heavily coat the splines of the spindle with antisieze. Some also coat the washer as well.

Pages 77-81 should give you the idea:

http://editions.amospublishing.com/K...1&pagenum=1&f=
Old 07-14-2010, 02:40 PM
JD868
Advanced

I was getting ready to replace my ujoints and decided to call a shop just to see what it would cost me because I need to get ready for this upcoming trip quickly..to my surprise they gave me an estimate of over $1000...they asked if the halfshafts were aluminum and said the ujoints for those were $100 a piece...

now the question,are the ujoints something special I need because I was going to buy the normal ones for about $20 a piece? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something here, but I'm pretty sure this shop is trying to stick it to me..

and I thought all halfshafts were aluminum,am I wrong there?

thanks for the help...JD
Old 07-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was getting ready to replace my ujoints and decided to call a shop just to see what it would cost me because I need to get ready for this upcoming trip quickly..to my surprise they gave me an estimate of over $1000...they asked if the halfshafts were aluminum and said the ujoints for those were $100 a piece...

now the question,are the ujoints something special I need because I was going to buy the normal ones for about $20 a piece? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something here, but I'm pretty sure this shop is trying to stick it to me..

thanks for the help...JD
Did mine last spring 20 bucks a pop
I would do the whole job for around 400 .00
Old 07-14-2010, 05:14 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

thanks for the help...JD
Never heard of $100 a piece before. Not even the Spicer coated ujoints. Though, I have been told by shops wanting $50 just in labor to press out/in ONE ujoint.

Was that labor quote also for the driveshaft ujoints? As those are a pain cause you have to drop the exhaust, and may have to pull the beam to get the driveshaft out.

You need the ujoints with a coated cap. Do don't have to, but the factory specs out a coated cap ujoint to help prevent corrosion.

Spicer doesn't make the coated cap ujoints for our Vettes anymore. But I believe someone had posted a number of a Spicer coated ujoint for the halfshaft that is supposed to work. Don't know what the difference is to the one that was discontinued.

I went with Neapco "Brute Force" coated ujoints from Advance.

1-0626BF: 1310 Aluminum U-Joint (Driveshaft)
2-0617BF: 1350 Aluminum U-Joint (Half-shaft)
Old 07-14-2010, 06:43 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I would just do a solid axle and then you won't have to worry about small details like this.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:03 PM
JD868
Advanced

that quote was just for the half shafts,both sides...Neapco was what I was/am going to use as well...I'll just do it myself now,you all have already told me how to do it and I think I can handle it...about the shafts being aluminum or steel,did they make steel shafts or no?

thanks for the help...JD
Old 07-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Some early ZR-1's had steel half shafts, so for all practical purposes, no. Yours are aluminum. The shop is trying to bend you over. Find another shop.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:20 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

thanks for the help...JD
Hey man - I just noticed you are in BG. What shop did you call? They are insane.

Sounds like you are in a hurry, if not I can put this stuff on for you pretty cheap. But I have to finish up another car that is on my lift first, probably won't be done until this weekend.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:20 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

that quote was just for the half shafts,both sides...Neapco was what I was/am going to use as well...I'll just do it myself now,you all have already told me how to do it and I think I can handle it...about the shafts being aluminum or steel,did they make steel shafts or no?

thanks for the help...JD
That is a major rip off.

And the shafts are aluminum. Which is why the factory specs coated caps on the ujoints.

Make sure to wire wheel the ujoint strap bolts to clean off the old drilock. And put new blue thread lock on the bolts and torque to spec.

Here is the write up I used. This write up is for replacing the hub bearing, but just ignore that part:

Pages 77-81:

Old 07-14-2010, 11:13 PM
JD868
Advanced

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
That is a major rip off.

And the shafts are aluminum. Which is why the factory specs coated caps on the ujoints.

Make sure to wire wheel the ujoint strap bolts to clean off the old drilock. And put new blue thread lock on the bolts and torque to spec.

Here is the write up I used. This write up is for replacing the hub bearing, but just ignore that part:

Pages 77-81:

yeah, they weren't even going to take me out to dinner first

thanks for that write up,last time I tried it I couldn't open it but it works now

RUKWKR,you have a PM..and the shop was midas,go figure..bluegrass trans said I had to bring it in for them to give a quote

thanks for everything fellas
Old 07-15-2010, 01:13 AM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Plan on buying some strap bolts / Kit They round off easy .
Half shaft are easy

Get notified of new replies

To looking to replace half-shaft u joints but...

Quick Reply: looking to replace half-shaft u joints but...