C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

13inch rotors & saw blades

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:31 AM
69SSC5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13inch rotors & saw blades

changing rotors and Rebuilding the calipers....
the rotors i took off are 12 inch.
I want to put on 13 inch rotors (stock type replacment), can i do this and use the same calipers (i have a 1988)
i have 17 inch saw blades from a 92-93 C4 that i will be putting back on.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, you need J55 calipers and abutement brackets.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:45 AM
69SSC5
Pro

i thought the j55 calipers where the ones i had,,,, i guess i have the JL9 calipers since my car has 12inch rotors,,,,
what was the first year they put the j55 on a vette?

do you think there is any noticable stopping differance between 12 inch and 13 inch rotors?

Last edited by 69SSC5; 07-15-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:01 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidney004
No, you need J55 calipers and abutement brackets.
https://www.superchevyperformance.co...les.asp?ID=123
Old 07-15-2010, 11:01 AM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Heimlich2010
i thought the j55 calipers where the ones i had,,,, i guess i have the JL9 calipers since my car has 12inch rotors,,,,
what was the first year they put the j55 on a vette?

do you think there is any noticable stopping differance between 12 inch and 13 inch rotors?
Huge difference. you can also do the C5 brake upgrade, which may be easier to get parts for. Look in C5 parts for sale, lots of people upgrading to C6Z brakes and selling off their old calipers/rotors. Then you just need adpater bracket (found on ebay)
Old 07-15-2010, 04:48 PM
PAINTER MAN
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by socalman
Huge difference. you can also do the C5 brake upgrade, which may be easier to get parts for. Look in C5 parts for sale, lots of people upgrading to C6Z brakes and selling off their old calipers/rotors. Then you just need adpater bracket (found on ebay)
But, the sawblades will not fit with the C5 brakes.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:50 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by socalman
But the C5 brake upgrade will require the use of different wheels.
The 17" sawblades he wants to use won't work.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:13 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

12's vs 13's

Old 07-16-2010, 12:53 AM
69SSC5
Pro

wow big differance when you compair them side by side, guess i will just stick with the stock setup just refurbish the existing calipers and put new rotors on. you think i would have any stopping gains if i changed the lines to stainless steel, not the whole system just the small rubber lines that connect to the front rotors?
Old 07-16-2010, 09:08 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Changing the flex lines to the stainless steel covered version will provide a firmer pedal feel. If the existing lines are original, it's time to replace them anyway. For SS lines, use Earl's or Goodridge.

You can get improved braking with aftermarket pads like the Hawk HPS pad. Carbotech has a good comparable pad.

At the same time, do a complete fluid flush and use a good quality DOT3 fluid like Valvoline or Castrol LMA. For street use, a DOT3 fluid will be fine.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:44 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

What is your goal?
Better stopping on the street?
Better stopping on the track?

Street - the JL9's are fine. Just go through and replace all failed parts. SS brakelines are ok since the rubber ones are probably getting bad. good street pads as others have mentioned and a FULL brake fluid flush.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:46 PM
pappy.72
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
What is your goal?

Street - the JL9's are fine. Just go through and replace all failed parts. SS brakelines are ok since the rubber ones are probably getting bad. good street pads as others have mentioned and a FULL brake fluid flush.
Good advice. People always want to throw on "race" parts and racing pads usually need some heat in them to work at their best. They lack the initial bite that works great on the street when they are not up to temp. Street pad set up with some nice rotors and a clean fluid system is the best way to go on the street.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:09 PM
69SSC5
Pro

Originally Posted by jaa1992
What is your goal?

my ultimate goal is to restore the vette to better than original condition, in the process of doing this i am trying to change pretty much everything and either replace with reconditioned stock parts or upgraded modern day parts... although this is a very very budgeted deal and will mostly be removing, cleaning, refurbishing, painting or powdercoating parts and then bolting them back on the car. No racing just street driving and a few california canyon roads (im a texan i just live here).
i hear alot of good things about the Hawk HPS pads, any recomendations on rotors, im sticking with the stock style 12 inch. from my understanding i can just buy the cheapest i can find since pretty much all of modern non-race rotors are made in china, "am i wrong". one other thing i need the rotors stay clean by this i mean not look rusty any recomendtions
Old 07-17-2010, 10:13 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Heimlich2010
my ultimate goal is to restore the vette to better than original condition, in the process of doing this i am trying to change pretty much everything and either replace with reconditioned stock parts or upgraded modern day parts... although this is a very very budgeted deal and will mostly be removing, cleaning, refurbishing, painting or powdercoating parts and then bolting them back on the car. No racing just street driving and a few california canyon roads (im a texan i just live here).
i hear alot of good things about the Hawk HPS pads, any recomendations on rotors, im sticking with the stock style 12 inch. from my understanding i can just buy the cheapest i can find since pretty much all of modern non-race rotors are made in china, "am i wrong". one other thing i need the rotors stay clean by this i mean not look rusty any recomendtions
You're right about most rotors being made in China. For the most part, the "work" but I would not expect the same life from them as compared to ones that were made in the USA or Canada. You can get rotors from NAPA, Tire Rack, or Rockauto.com. Rockauto has Raybestos "Professional Grade" or "Advanced Technology" rotors at good prices. They also carry Centric which is another decent replacement rotor. NAPA rotors are very good too. I think the Tire Rack still carries Brembo stock replacement rotors.

As far as how they look, even with the later C4 sawblades the rotors are not really visible thru the slots. The rotor "hat" can be painted with high-temp paint but be careful to not get paint on the swept are of the rotor surface. But if you do, it can be removed with something like lacquer thinner or acetone. Even non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner will remove any overspray.

Most replacement rotors will not have any paint on them at all. There are rotors that have a zinc coating but they will cost more and won't perform any better than plain rotors that you paint yourself. Looking rusty is going to happen to the extent that when you wash the car, water will get on the rotor surface and show some rust coloring within minutes. The pads will sweep that away once the car moves. The edges of the rotors will rust, but it's not really visible with stock-style wheels.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:46 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the C5 13" will fit with a 1/3" spacer. The cuisinart wheels, I have heard (but not personally confirmed) will fit without a spacer.

Get notified of new replies

To 13inch rotors & saw blades

Quick Reply: 13inch rotors & saw blades