C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I need help with crankshaft pulley LT1

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 08:22 AM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LannyL81
If memory serves me, the remaining part on the crank nose will have to come off in order to get the timing cover off to replace those seals. I just cannot remember at this time what it is called. It will also require a puller, but you use the three bolts to attach the puller to instead of jaws. There is no key way or alignment on this...but good idea to mark-it so to be able to put it back in the same spot.

I would suggest replacing the front seal as well.
The Sharpie cap works great on the wp drive seal...have one sitting in the drawer right here.
I am only replacing the opti and wp seal and I think they both can be done with timing cover on.
I ill start cleaning it up today and maybe put the seals in,plugs wires.we will see how far I get,I have about4 hours to work on it today.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:26 AM
94vettelover2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew you needed that special tool for 1 of those seals,so I was half right:oYou think your vette takes alot of special tools-ever work on a BMW or Audi:beatdea dhorse:I would remove that crank snout while you are here & replace all the front seals.Otherwise that crank snout will freeze/rust itself on there if it never comes off.I would remove it & clean shaft & inside of snout.Your this far,why not do the job right & if the oil pan shows signs of leakage,replace that too.Also if you get it all back together & 1 day or a month later,that front crank seal starts to leak you will have to do this job all over againHang in there.On the Ferrari or Lamborghini forums,the engine has to come out of the car to do almost anything
Old 08-30-2010, 04:58 PM
chileverde
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tblt44
DO NOT DO this just to put an underdrive pulley on.This is the worst job yet.That dang pulley is stuck on there.
I have uses PB blaster/heat and a hammer so far.
no worries - under the previous ownership, this car had a shop replace the water pump a few thousand miles ago so i think the pulley will not be too much of a bitch to remove.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:26 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LannyL81
If memory serves me, the remaining part on the crank nose will have to come off in order to get the timing cover off to replace those seals. I just cannot remember at this time what it is called. It will also require a puller, but you use the three bolts to attach the puller to instead of jaws. There is no key way or alignment on this...but good idea to mark-it so to be able to put it back in the same spot.

I would suggest replacing the front seal as well.
The Sharpie cap works great on the wp drive seal...have one sitting in the drawer right here.
It's called the HUB and, yes, there is a specific way it should be re-installed. GM says to bring the #1 piston to TDC, then align the cast in arrow/mark on the HUB with the 12 o'clock position of the crankshaft, and press on the HUB.

The balancer has weight(s) in it and to install the HUB otherwise can result in a engine vibration.

Jake
Old 09-01-2010, 09:42 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by chileverde
no worries - under the previous ownership, this car had a shop replace the water pump a few thousand miles ago so i think the pulley will not be too much of a bitch to remove.
The pulley doesn't have to be removed to change the water pump.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Luvvettes
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone here ever installed an ATI super damper on a 1995 LT1 with engine still in the car?
Old 08-17-2011, 02:17 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Luvvettes
Has anyone here ever installed an ATI super damper on a 1995 LT1 with engine still in the car?
This probably should have been a new thread instead of a response to a real old thread.

As far as I know my mechanic installed the ATI damper before he put the engine(s) in the car.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Trust me. If you are in this far, replace the opti, wires, plugs, water pump and all the seals. I even went to an electric water pump and eliminated the water pump seal in the timing cover (one less chance of an oil leak). Pulling the hub should be done with a Kent-Moore LT1 hub puller and installer. List price $450. You might find one on flea bay for much less. One more thing, If your opti is not vented do some rearch and vent it.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:44 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

careful hitting the damper (outer ring) they break easy.

I used a piece of wood and a hammer, REAL CAREFUL about it.

for the mount (inner, actually on the crank) I used a puller.

the fun part was routing the puller over the top of the PS cooler
Old 03-23-2014, 04:39 PM
ChrisWhewell
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tombrammer
All that whacking didn't work for me either when I pulled mine. I used this puller from O'Rilley auto parts, you can rent it. See this link; http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-Harmonic...sr=8-3-catcorr
I had to loosen and lift the steering rack just a little too. Good luck.
On my '93 VIN P, substitute "remove" for "loosen".
Old 03-23-2014, 09:40 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
This probably should have been a new thread instead of a response to a real old thread.

As far as I know my mechanic installed the ATI damper before he put the engine(s) in the car.

I did an ATI install in my 1995 and after installing the hub I pulled the engine. (I forget what the issue was may have been unable to torque the damper screws or install the damper ...) I thought that I needed to get the hub in a little deeper but I was wrong. Anyway its pretty easy to pull the engine on a 1995 Lt1 I have removed the engine and had the car back on the road over a regular weekend. (in this case the wrong converter was sent so car was down more than a week) I used to have a thread on superdamper install it may still be out there, .
Found it

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...b-removal.html (you will need a longer belt)

end highjack
Mike

Last edited by aboatguy; 03-23-2014 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply: I need help with crankshaft pulley LT1