C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Any high HP C4's drving around on the street? (cooling system)

Old 08-26-2010, 10:06 AM
BartonekDragRacing
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any high HP C4's drving around on the street? (cooling system)

I have a deposit on my car, should be gone Friday. So I'll start looking around at what I need for my upcoming T88 C4..

Anyone here have a 700+rwhp C4 that drives it around in 100* weather in traffic? What kinda cooling system do you'all run?

I'm going to do away with my a/c and heater setup, run a electric wp.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:47 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BartonekDragRacing
I have a deposit on my car, should be gone Friday. So I'll start looking around at what I need for my upcoming T88 C4..

Anyone here have a 700+rwhp C4 that drives it around in 100* weather in traffic? What kinda cooling system do you'all run?

I don't know of any c4 owners with 700+rwhp running around on the regular (especially not in that kind of heat). However, you're on the right track in regards to removing the AC system. that will eliminate ac components in-front of the radiator. I've come to learn that a well sealed cooling system is essentially sufficent, nothing really exotic is needed. Possibly a higher capacity multi-pass radiator. The electric water pump and the stock fans should be sufficent.

I'm shooting for 600+rwhp in my build and I anticipate on driving it regularly in the Phoenix heat.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:30 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1
I don't know of any c4 owners with 700+rwhp running around on the regular (especially not in that kind of heat). .
Its a shame that theres not more of them. Go to C5 FI, and you will find that its more the norm there to have 700 +rwhp and drive it on the street in that kind of heat.

You will read posts like 'lets go hunt some liter bikes'. stuff thats unheard of here.

Why is that? Its not that the C5 LSx is that much better of a platform.

Its more that theres more parts, support, and the owners seem to have higher goals than 'whats the best wax to use'-type questions you see in our sections.

Where are real c4 heroes (w/ 800 rwhp c4's) such as:

tjwong
lcvette
AKS Racing

I dont know, they dont post here much anymore. Not sure what has happened....

So please add a bike-beater to our corral
Old 09-07-2010, 03:52 PM
GM_96LT4
Pro

I don't exactly qualify for the 700+ category but I do drive my car in the hot california (100+), grid locked freeways once in awhile and I can tell you that I don't have any issues with overheating sitting in traffic as long as my ac is not running.

I have a "new" stock system with a 165 degree thermostat and added the water wetter....

However, if I run the air conditioner and sit in traffic; I will over heat....but no problems while driving......

Here is the interesting part....I had this same overheating issue since I bought the car....that was 12 years ago....

I have replaced, cleaned, burped, and tested everything I can and then some. Basically, everything under the hood and under the car is new, including the transmission and rear end.

I have attributed to a gremlin that lives in the car which doesn't plan on moving out.....

Anyway, not sure if this helps but the one thing that would help; is an electric fan...but of course; I don't have the room for it.....

glenn....

btw...heads up for anyone reading this....i may be putting my car up for sale soon.....please put out the word if anyone is interested.....
Old 09-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Powersmokin
Instructor

I'm not quite at 700 but the shop that built my motor claims i will be around 625-635 rwhp I have not had the time or money to Dyno to confirm the real world numbers it has not over heated yet but it get way hotter them I'm am comfortable with. I have an 85 olds cutlass that i could not keep cool to save my life and i put in a be cool radiator and now cant get it to go over 185F so i will be doing the same with the vett.Hope this info helps
Old 09-07-2010, 10:22 PM
BartonekDragRacing
Drifting

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Its a shame that theres not more of them. Go to C5 FI, and you will find that its more the norm there to have 700 +rwhp and drive it on the street in that kind of heat.

You will read posts like 'lets go hunt some liter bikes'. stuff thats unheard of here.

Its more that theres more parts, support, and the owners seem to have higher goals than 'whats the best wax to use'-type questions you see in our sections.

tjwong
lcvette
AKS Racing

I'll be honest with ya.. there's a guy selling a roller C5 with a built rear for $7500 up the street. I have to see if its worth the $. I'm looking at a friends stock C4 for $5k. That C4 is in perfect condition for being an '88 with 133k miles. I would yank the motor, tranny and rear to recoup some of my initial price.

I just dont want a C4 that I cant find a way to keep cool down in this Texas heat.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:59 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dizwiz24

tjwong
lcvette
AKS Racing

The c5 is (currently) a much more popular platform with trumendous aftermarket support. The new corvette's with the Ls-x engines are light years ahead of the older small-blocks. The STOCK heads on most LS-x's flow some serious numbers, comparable to popular aftermarket heads for the older small-blocks (both L98 and LT-x).

The LS3's can put down well over 400 rwhp with ported heads, cam, and exhaust! That's not a joke. The cylinder heads are also set at 18 degrees (even down to 15 or 12 degrees in certain Ls-x's). that spells "race heads" for older small blocks (which commonly run 23 degree heads).

interestingly enough, the LS-x platform has also proven to be very responsive to boost.

TJ Wong's own LT-x corvette puts down just shy of 600rwhp, and that's a serious 383 combination. Even he strongly recommends swapping over to an LS-x or going over to a newer corvette all together.

ICvette's corvette was a strong 355 (build bottom-end, Trickflow heads, blower cam, stand-alone computer) and trumendous amount of boost with a relatively large turbo. This all yielded something like 700-900rwhp. After the fact, he even decided to go with an LS-x swap (in the works). Of course, he ran E85 fuel, massive injectors, and top-notch fuel system.

It "can" be done. There are a TON of superhero c4's out there. Most of these guys did the 1000rwhp more than a decade ago in the c4 platform and have long-since moved on. I'm talkin' seriously huge single turbo combinations, twin-turbos, huge superchargers, big-inch small blocks, etc.

Honestly, I too wish these guys would be a more active part of the c4 community, but what can you do? lol...
Old 09-08-2010, 07:45 AM
BartonekDragRacing
Drifting

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1
The c5 is (currently) a much more popular platform with trumendous aftermarket support. The new corvette's with the Ls-x engines are light years ahead of the older small-blocks. The STOCK heads on most LS-x's flow some serious numbers, comparable to popular aftermarket heads for the older small-blocks (both L98 and LT-x).

The LS3's can put down well over 400 rwhp with ported heads, cam, and exhaust! That's not a joke. The cylinder heads are also set at 18 degrees (even down to 15 or 12 degrees in certain Ls-x's). that spells "race heads" for older small blocks (which commonly run 23 degree heads).

interestingly enough, the LS-x platform has also proven to be very responsive to boost.
You're right about the LSx motors puttin down some good numbers. I would go old school though. Dart block (400ci) , 235cc alum heads (23*) , single 88mm turbo. Thats all it would take to make hp..oh and it is going to be blow-thru on a CSU carb running E85. I've done the same setup before but on a twin turbo 406 (70mm turbos). Now I am early enough in the game to where I can build a carb'ed LSx motor but the parts I'm getting for my Dart setup are coming to me at a great price, makes the decision easier. Only thing is..which vette. Need to make sure I can drive this thing on the street, in the Texas heat.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:27 AM
RVY
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Horsepower isn't the problem. I put down 598 rear wheel horsepower with my supercharged 383LT-1. With nitrous added the engine reaches 786 at the rear wheels. Unfortunately, AT least for me 1st and 2nd gear at the track are useless. On the street I don't even try. Traction is non existant. Cooling temperature is no different than when the car was stock. With the car now in Orlando my concern is with air conditioning.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:52 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RVY
Horsepower isn't the problem. I put down 598 rear wheel horsepower with my supercharged 383LT-1. With nitrous added the engine reaches 786 at the rear wheels. Unfortunately, AT least for me 1st and 2nd gear at the track are useless. On the street I don't even try. Traction is non existant. Cooling temperature is no different than when the car was stock. With the car now in Orlando my concern is with air conditioning.
Hey Randy-

Can you PM me your build details? Or share them on this thread? I'm most interested in level of boost, fuel system, cam specs, heads. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2010, 06:59 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

You're right about the LSx motors puttin down some good numbers. I would go old school though. Dart block (400ci) , 235cc alum heads (23*) , single 88mm turbo. Thats all it would take to make hp..oh and it is going to be blow-thru on a CSU carb running E85. I've done the same setup before but on a twin turbo 406 (70mm turbos). Now I am early enough in the game to where I can build a carb'ed LSx motor but the parts I'm getting for my Dart setup are coming to me at a great price, makes the decision easier. Only thing is..which vette. Need to make sure I can drive this thing on the street, in the Texas heat.
Well, you're right that with a power-adder, the details are almost irrelevent (with enough boost, any power level is possible). However, if you end up purchasing the c5, than you are going to have issues with registering, emissions testing, the vehicle. Since the old-school engine will not pass (especially with a carb) in a c5.

Now, the old-school small-block will be at home in a c4, BUT with a carb, you're still going to have issues with emissions testing. I don't know how relevent these are for you.

One of the main reasons why an Ls-x is a better platform is also due to COST. Most people get caught up with the idea that the LS-x engine is superior to the Lt-x or L98. Even though this is true, it shouldn't be the deciding factor (aftermarket parts "can" level the playing field). the "real" deciding factor is that an LS-x (factory crate motor or salvage motor) is simply INEXPENSIVE for what you get!

Old-school small-blocks are obviously awesome, but some aftermarket parts (especially high-flowing heads) can get exotic and expensive quick!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:36 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I've never really had any issues with overheating even when in traffic with the ac on, even with outside temps 100plus. I have a big aluminum radiator and that's about it.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Vette Fast
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a "Anyone here have a 700+rwhp C4".
However, the items listed below were a great deal of help with my Vette:
Be Cool Custom radiator
Spal high performance twin puller fans
Power Master 140 amp chrome alternator
Custom vented hood
Custom air intake for intercooler
Edelbrock victory high volume water pump

I hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:14 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

My BeCool radiator is rated for 700hp

I won't be that high, but pretty close
Old 09-09-2010, 03:32 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

also, keep in mind that when the car is traveling in traffic or light throttle, you're really not generating anymore heat than a stock one would (or just a small amount more). That's what I attribute me being able to drive such a radical car in the worst possible environment sucessfully. Now if you were racing the car in hot weather, that would be a different story.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:35 PM
BAM92
Safety Car

I am still trying to get over the fact you are pulling the a/c and you live in San Antonio. AKS Racing lives just North of me with 8-900 rwhp( can't remember) and I do believe he still has the a/c on his 87 Vert.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:11 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BAM92
I am still trying to get over the fact you are pulling the a/c and you live in San Antonio. AKS Racing lives just North of me with 8-900 rwhp( can't remember) and I do believe he still has the a/c on his 87 Vert.
Bam- you've got a serious combination of your own, don't you?

Also, I "Still" don't know AKS' combination!?!?!?

Get notified of new replies

To Any high HP C4's drving around on the street? (cooling system)

Old 09-10-2010, 09:50 PM
BAM92
Safety Car

I have alot of money in mine yes. ha ha. I don't know if this is Aaron's current setup but this is what it was awhile back. Scroll down. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-f...uild-help.html

Last edited by BAM92; 09-10-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:37 AM
BartonekDragRacing
Drifting

Originally Posted by BAM92
If he wants to post pics of his setup that'll give me ideas on how to make it work, but I'm not too concerned with a/c. I was thinking that I'd remove the ac/heater stuff out by the firewall and put the T88 there. I'd rather put up with the heat than have a cluttered engine compartment. Just to give you an idea what I mean.. here is how my uncluttered twin turbo Camaro looked and I want something as clean as that:

Last edited by BartonekDragRacing; 09-11-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:28 AM
NavyVette89
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Still haven't pulled the trigger yet on that C4?

I thought you would've joined Navy Federal, got you a bada$$ car loan and went to town by now.

I think you should get a big block and get a turbo on that. You could always do the STS thing and have the turbo's in the back.

BTW, I jacked the car up to stock height and I'm getting new tires put on right now. I hit a pothole and cut the sidewall on the front and also broke the rad support. Got that fixed but the tire was shot. Found out that the tire sensors were on opposite sides that day. Other than that it's been pretty cool. I bought another exhaust too (you like it too loud for me ) and I bought a stereo system to beef the stock system up. My wifes Boston setup kicks the crap out of the stock Bose POS. Can't have that.

Last edited by NavyVette89; 09-11-2010 at 11:30 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any high HP C4's drving around on the street? (cooling system)