C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1987 C4 Brake Upgrade 11.5" rotors to 12 or 13" rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:51 PM
Anthony Perrucci
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 C4 Brake Upgrade 11.5" rotors to 12 or 13" rotors

Hello All:
I would like to upgrade the front brakes on my 87 Z/51 with 11.5" rotors to 13" rotors using the dual piston calipers from a 1988 or later C4. Does anyone know if these bigger rotors and calipers will work with the stock 16" x 9.5" wheels? Also will I need the caliper brackets from the 88 to mount on my 87? Thanks to anyone who can supply info. I do believe at one time I read that you could use the larger rotors with the 9.5 wide rims. I do not want to do anything in the rear of the car as to preserve the inner emergency brake shoes as you all may know 88 and later Vettes use the primary brake pads as the emergency brake and GM did away with the small brake shoe setup within the rear rotors. Thanks!!!

Regards,

Tony
Old 09-01-2010, 01:12 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Perrucci
I would like to upgrade the front brakes on my 87 Z/51 with 11.5" rotors to 13" rotors using the dual piston calipers from a 1988 or later C4. Does anyone know if these bigger rotors and calipers will work with the stock 16" x 9.5" wheels?
If your factory 16" rims are made by Enkei ,the J55 /GS 13" calipers clear fine

Also will I need the caliper brackets from the 88 to mount on my 87?
You need a J55 /GS 13" caliper and rotor , J55 abutment brackets and a custom adapter to mount the late abutment bracket to the early spindle as the caliper bolt mounting holes are spaced different
http://www.coppercorvette.com/c4togsbrakes.htm

DRM and Baer used to make the adapters
Given the current pricing on J55 parts ,many are going to the superior C5 brakes but they require certain 17" rims for clearance

Last edited by rodj; 09-01-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:31 AM
Lemme
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Here is a picture of my J55 upgrade on the front brakes of my 87 with 17" x 8.5" Borbet rims.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Anthony Perrucci
Cruising

Lemme:
Thanks for the pic of your 87 with the J55 upgrade. Where did you purchase the bracket to mount the J55 caliper as I know the J55 does not bolt to the 87 spindle? Also, are you running 13" rotors. Going to pass a great place to buy parts online with fairly good shipping rates and turn-around time, go to Rock Auto.com. Actually, this company was started by two former GM engineers. The pricing is really terrific so check them out. Now they do not have everything but most general maintenance stuff can be found there. The Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors are decent and fairly priced. Late model Chevy owners (especially trucks & SUV's) need to get those factory re-claimed steel rotors off their vehicles. My 3 trucks all had rotor changes and the ones on my 03 Trailblazer looked like they had over 100K when they actually had 32K. Also, check your brake lines many before 03 came as raw steel void of paint. Do not even think of doing a pad job only without replacing the rotors and forget about having them cut.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Lemme
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

Lemme:
Thanks for the pic of your 87 with the J55 upgrade. Where did you purchase the bracket to mount the J55 caliper as I know the J55 does not bolt to the 87 spindle? Also, are you running 13" rotors. Going to pass a great place to buy parts online with fairly good shipping rates and turn-around time, go to Rock Auto.com. Actually, this company was started by two former GM engineers. The pricing is really terrific so check them out. Now they do not have everything but most general maintenance stuff can be found there. The Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors are decent and fairly priced. Late model Chevy owners (especially trucks & SUV's) need to get those factory re-claimed steel rotors off their vehicles. My 3 trucks all had rotor changes and the ones on my 03 Trailblazer looked like they had over 100K when they actually had 32K. Also, check your brake lines many before 03 came as raw steel void of paint. Do not even think of doing a pad job only without replacing the rotors and forget about having them cut.
Yes 13" rotors. Not sure where it all came from. My local corvette club mechanic here in Perth, Australia sourced them and installed them on my behalf.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Anthony Perrucci
Cruising

Lemme:
Helo, and thanks for the quick reply. I left a message at Baer Brakes to see if they make the bracket in question. Now, I know the J55/GS calipers and 13" rotors will work I need to get a handle on that bracket to mount everything up. Glad to see Vettes are appreciated around the world and down under. Here in the states, the best Vette deals can be found in the C4 models and that is good because I have had mine since new and refuse to pay thousands of dollare for vintage Vettes that I paid hundreds of dollars for as a kid. I guess it is just a mind thing but no C1 or C2 Vette is ever going to outperform a C4. in stock form.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Lemme
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

Lemme:
Helo, and thanks for the quick reply. I left a message at Baer Brakes to see if they make the bracket in question. Now, I know the J55/GS calipers and 13" rotors will work I need to get a handle on that bracket to mount everything up. Glad to see Vettes are appreciated around the world and down under. Here in the states, the best Vette deals can be found in the C4 models and that is good because I have had mine since new and refuse to pay thousands of dollare for vintage Vettes that I paid hundreds of dollars for as a kid. I guess it is just a mind thing but no C1 or C2 Vette is ever going to outperform a C4. in stock form.
c4s are good value here too as it is not compulsory to convert to RHD pre 90. Still probably twice the price of a c4 in the states though.

It cost me $2K to get the brakes upgraded on the front. Not cheap at all.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Anthony Perrucci
Cruising

Lemme:
Hi again, all I need are the parts I know how to do the labor as I have been doing brakes as a kid. Not a mechanic by any shot but good enough to change rotors, pads and calipers. Just finished a stock brake job on my daughter's 1st set of wheels a 98 Olds. Intrigue with 128K on it. Man, the labor here in the states is NUTS even with the economic downturn which is more serious than you hear (many real estate foreclosures) but you cannot do everything yourself and the newer the vehicle the more impossible for self service of it. If you can find out anything at all about the bracket be sure to give a good yell. My 87 has 13K on it, all the years spent working for GM and family gave it little drive time but have been retired from the General for 2 yrs. now and I am getting back into Vettes.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Lemme
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

Lemme:
Hi again, all I need are the parts I know how to do the labor as I have been doing brakes as a kid. Not a mechanic by any shot but good enough to change rotors, pads and calipers. Just finished a stock brake job on my daughter's 1st set of wheels a 98 Olds. Intrigue with 128K on it. Man, the labor here in the states is NUTS even with the economic downturn which is more serious than you hear (many real estate foreclosures) but you cannot do everything yourself and the newer the vehicle the more impossible for self service of it. If you can find out anything at all about the bracket be sure to give a good yell. My 87 has 13K on it, all the years spent working for GM and family gave it little drive time but have been retired from the General for 2 yrs. now and I am getting back into Vettes.
I was in LA earlier this year and as you say I don't think prices have come down with all the tough times there. Australia has fared better so far.

Even I am now attempting to do more work myself. Only way to learn and save at the same time.

I will ask the club mechanic where he got it from and let you know.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Anthony Perrucci
Cruising

Lemme:
Thank you, good to talk to you. Spent the day under my Chevy Trailblazer grinding the rust of the frame and painting same. The driveshaft looked like it went down with the Titanic. GM bankruptcy no mystery, the truck has 32K on it. Yeah you gotta do what you can for service cause things is expensive and nobody looks after them better than the owner.

Best Regards,

Tony
Old 09-01-2010, 08:20 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Where did you purchase the bracket to mount the J55 caliper as I know the J55 does not bolt to the 87 spindle? .
The J55 to early conversion was done two ways.
Baer machined and modified the J55 abutment bracket and supplied a adapter plate
DRM made billet adapters ($180) that bolted the J55 bracket in unmodified form to the early spindle
IIRC
Baer stopped production a long time ago and DRM no longer have them listed on their site

Last edited by rodj; 09-23-2010 at 05:07 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Anthony Perrucci
Cruising

Hey Rodj:

Thanks for the update I guess that blows that unless anyone has any ideas?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Lemme
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

This is the response from my club mechanic

"J55 brake bracket came from Baer Brakes in the USA purchased around 4 years ago."
Old 09-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Anthony Perrucci
Cruising

HI Lemme:
rodj says they Baer stopped production of the bracket but I will give them a call, thank you just the same.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:52 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

I guess that blows that unless anyone has any ideas?
PM sent
Old 09-01-2010, 09:56 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lemme
J55 brake bracket came from Baer Brakes"
Damm ugly.
The Baer ones I have seen had the bolt lugs machined off the J55 abutment bracket and the holes relocated so a flat adapter plate could be used
Old 09-23-2010, 02:08 AM
aceesquire
Advanced

does anyone have a part number for the adapter plate that corvette central or DRM make? i cant seem to find it any where. i need it, to mount the GS calipers i got for my '86. thanks everyone

Get notified of new replies

To 1987 C4 Brake Upgrade 11.5" rotors to 12 or 13" rotors

Old 09-23-2010, 05:09 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by aceesquire
does anyone have a part number for the adapter plate that corvette central or DRM make?
DRM adapter is no longer in production; 2nd hand only
Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Is the reason for going to the J55 brakes because you want to keep the 16" wheels and tires??

Vette Brakes has a C5 brake conversion kit for the front but the C5 front brakes require 17" wheels.

Either upgrade will change the brake bias. Doug Rippie has a replacement brake bias spring that will correct the bias once bigger brakes are installed up front. Make sure you get the 87-88 version for ABS cars. The cost is about $20 delivered and it can be installed in the master cylinder without removing it from the car. Without this spring, the ABS system will be constantly engaging with anything more than 50% braking force.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:00 PM
CorvetteCentral.com
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by aceesquire
does anyone have a part number for the adapter plate that corvette central or DRM make? i cant seem to find it any where. i need it, to mount the GS calipers i got for my '86. thanks everyone
The part can be found here.

Quick Reply: 1987 C4 Brake Upgrade 11.5" rotors to 12 or 13" rotors