C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Where is the coolant sensor located on a 96?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 05:19 PM
RadPolo96
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the coolant sensor located on a 96?

Every once and a while my low coolant light will flash on and off periodically. I read another post saying that you could fix this by rotating the sensor 180 degrees. I wanted to see if this would work.
Old 03-30-2002, 05:51 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Where is the coolant sensor located on a 96? (RadPolo96)

I think the sensor is on the waterpump... however, that may be the temp sensor...
Old 03-31-2002, 01:47 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The low coolant sensor is on the radiator right side near the top. I would check for low coolant first. You probably need to "burp" your cooling system. The radiator is higher than the engine in C4's and the block will hold air until coolant flow is high enough to push air into the radiator lowering it to where the low coolant sensor is uncovered and the light comes on. Engine off and looking into the filler won't show a low coolant level. Starting COLD (never open a radiator cap on a hot engine or coolant will boil out burning you) loosen radiator cap to the stop (where you have to push down to further remove it), then start engine and when it gets to the opening temp of your thermostat, race engine by moving the throttle link and remove the radiator cap. If you had air trapped, your coolant level will drop, and you can then fill it, replace cap , and then let the engine go back to its normal idle. Sometimes you have to do this several times to get all the air out, or, if you park with the nose uphill, you can do this once. I believe there is a air bleed screw on your year, none on my 87, so my description is for those years without the air bleed.
Old 03-31-2002, 05:45 AM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The low coolant sensor is in the upper resevoir tank near the windsheild on the passenger side on 96s and all LT1s. You may have low coolant or a bad
sensor. The tank has to be replaced if the sensor is bad. :(

The easiest way to get air out of the LT1 cooling system is done in two steps. Step 1 - remove the 3/8" line that goes from the upper resevoir to the radiator at the point it goes into the raditor. Fill the system until fluid runs out of the radiator where the line goes in. Repace the line and tighten the clamp. Then remove the air bleeds on the thermostat housing and throttle body. Keep filling until fluid drains from the two airbleeds. Then fill the upper resevoir and fill the lower over flow tank in the front end.
Old 03-31-2002, 09:38 AM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Re: Where is the coolant sensor located on a 96? (AquaMetallic94LT1)

The low coolant sensor is in the upper resevoir tank near the windsheild on the passenger side on 96s and all LT1s. You may have low coolant or a bad
sensor. The tank has to be replaced if the sensor is bad. :(
I picked up a new tank from Corvette Central for under $50 for mine after I broke off one of the lines.

Get notified of new replies

To Where is the coolant sensor located on a 96?

Quick Reply: Where is the coolant sensor located on a 96?