C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What to do with the small smog tubes on manifolds....Want to remove them...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 01:01 AM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with the small smog tubes on manifolds....Want to remove them...

Got rid of all the smog crap, gutted the air pump and now I still have the fat line that has the small tubes that go into the stock manifols...For now I just capped the ends with a rubber cap..But I want to remove them... How did you guys do it.. I thought about cutting them, but I was concerned about sealing them then....

Who has done it and what and how did you do it...??????
Old 03-31-2002, 01:11 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: What to do with the small smog tubes on manifolds....Want to remove them... (apollo30346)

Since the tubes into the stock headers are SS the best deal would be to have them cut off and have the openings heli-arched.

But when you pull the manifolds you'll see that each AIR tube sticks into it's exhaust tube, obstructing gas flow. So you realy need to cut them out completely before sealing up the manifolds.

I left my AIR system in tack and just ported the stock manifolds for a little better exhuast gas flow.

[Modified by 65Z01, 11:15 PM 3/30/2002]
Old 03-31-2002, 01:16 AM
KYVette90
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What to do with the small smog tubes on manifolds....Want to remove them... (65Z01)

I just capped mine off with some pipe caps that I ground down until they were smooth and hit them with some high temp silver paint. I didn't remove the tubes because I might sell the car one day and they may be needed.
Old 03-31-2002, 01:53 AM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What to do with the small smog tubes on manifolds....Want to remove them... (KYVette90)

I just capped mine off just like that only with think rubber ones....

Thanks for the help guys... I was just wanting to clean it up a little more...

One more question, do I need to do anything with the EGR or should I say can I do anything as in get rid of it and all that has to do with it?????
Old 03-31-2002, 05:01 PM
KYVette90
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What to do with the small smog tubes on manifolds....Want to remove them... (apollo30346)

Unplug your egr control solenoid and drive around for a while, on the highway, and see if you get any problems or any rough running situations. If it dosn't affect performance any, just remove all of the crap and make some block off plates for the egr valve and the egr pipe on the back of the intake.
Old 03-31-2002, 06:52 PM
lowflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

I just cut the tubes off at the manifolds and welded the holes shut. I also ground down the tubes that stick into the exhaust stream. I haven't ground down the welds to make them look good yet, but I should be doing that soon.
As for the EGR, I did the same to the EGR tube (cut and weld shut,) made a block off plate for the EGR valve on the lower intake and removed the solenoid and vac lines. It really cleaned up the engine compartment and without the AIR tubes and diverter valves, I can get to the #2 plug alot easier:)

Get notified of new replies

To What to do with the small smog tubes on manifolds....Want to remove them...

Quick Reply: What to do with the small smog tubes on manifolds....Want to remove them...