C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

FRISBEE- is it really safe to take off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 09:17 AM
thnbluline50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FRISBEE- is it really safe to take off?

I have read many posts that say it's ok but I am a bit skeptable (SP) about it. Please help!! Why would GM put it on if it really has no purpose at all? Is it there for some kind of balancer or something? Forgive me if this is a really dumb question but I am not a mechanic, just a body-man. :confused:
Old 03-31-2002, 10:04 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default Re: FRISBEE- is it really safe to take off? (thnbluline50)

HI....thnbluline50.....don't think anything of it....i too am about as picky with my vette as they come....basically....all that frisbee does or once did was GM felt it would help dampen an intitial vibration that would occur when turning the ac on....later it was removed....GM took a closer look at this and realized....the L-98 really did not benefit at all from it...like they once assumed....

there is a techpost located in the corvetteforum tech tips section that explains that this once 10hp free mod that was only talked about from guy to guy...was actually asked to Gordon Kilbrew of corvette....i had the opportunity of meeting Gordon....and I will state here as well as Iam assure others will....if Gordon says we don't need that disc....everybody calls the frisbee.....then we don't....Gordon designed and built the C4....I do believe him over anybody should know if we are causing harm to our vehicles....while at Bowling Green 2 years ago...he also answered a lot of common questions about our cars and knew the answers without even thinking.....gave us all some nice little pointers and tips...

bottom line.....take it out ....you will never know it is gone....your engine may rev a tad bit quicker and higher on the long runs....just be sure to take your time and get the 4 bolts out.....put a coat of thread lock on em...and reinstall them (may require a washer) ...

enjoy
jeff
Old 03-31-2002, 10:07 AM
DON M
Drifting

Default Re: FRISBEE- is it really safe to take off? (thnbluline50)

The C-4 Guru Gordon Killebrew says it is OK to lose it. It was an attempt to reduce vibrations as the A/C compressor cycled. The factory later took them off anyway.
Some people say it is worth 10HP. I think that is overly optimistic, but reducing rotating mass can't hurt.

EDIT: I see some one posted while I was typing. It was the thought that counts.

[Modified by DON M, 9:09 AM 3/31/2002]
Old 03-31-2002, 10:16 AM
thnbluline50
Instructor

Default Re: FRISBEE- is it really safe to take off? (XtremeVette)

Extreme & Don, thanks for the advise. I am new to this forum and adicted to it. I finally found a place where I can post questions and get a straight answer from someone who dose not have an agenda IE. selling me something I dont need. You guys are great :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To FRISBEE- is it really safe to take off?

Quick Reply: FRISBEE- is it really safe to take off?