C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

In the middle of Polishing My Rims.....how do you get out the fine scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 09:04 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default In the middle of Polishing My Rims.....how do you get out the fine scratches?

i have sanded and sanded and sanded.....those of you that warned me and said this is no picnic....your right!

I am done sanding now....and have not been able to get rid of the super fine scractches....right now Iam down to polishing pad on my drill and squirt some rubbing compound...this seemes to be working but going very slow!...

My dad tried and emery cloth and that seemed a little better....so i guess....this might just be me being picky....i have the rim on my bench under a light....and am examining it from like 2 inches away.....is it normal that you are gonna have some superfine scratches that are almost gone to the naked eye once polished?...

thanks
still buffing jeff....
Old 03-31-2002, 09:32 PM
robblk90
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: In the middle of Polishing My Rims.....how do you get out the fine scratches? (Yanni88)

I use blue magic polish then sprinkle some flower on top of the polishing creme to get out the fine scratches. Buff with the polish then before wiping it off, sprinkle some household flour and buff some more. Should take out the fine scratches depending how deep they are. The finish on mine are like mirror like. I am now in the process of painting the openings black to match the car.

[Modified by robblk90, 7:34 PM 3/31/2002]
Old 03-31-2002, 09:41 PM
Bluevette85
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: In the middle of Polishing My Rims.....how do you get out the fine scratches? (robblk90)

robblk90: What grade sanding paper did you use to get the mirror shine?
Old 03-31-2002, 10:08 PM
robblk90
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: In the middle of Polishing My Rims.....how do you get out the fine scratches? (Bluevette85)

Start with 400 and work your way up to 2000, or whatever they wet sand with, can't quite remember, it was very fine. Remember to use something to lubricate with like WD-40. Use a buffing wheel, it is so much quicker. Then use blue magic. After you knock out the machine lines, use polishing creme by hand then sprinkle with flower. It takes alot of elbow grease and time. My vette's been on jack stands for 3 weeks. I am getting new tires too.

Get notified of new replies

To In the middle of Polishing My Rims.....how do you get out the fine scratches?

Quick Reply: In the middle of Polishing My Rims.....how do you get out the fine scratches?