C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Interior Lights stay on / won't shut off - FIXED!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:56 PM
MikeSVO
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Interior Lights stay on / won't shut off - FIXED!!

Hi all,

I'm just posting this up because I searched on here and didn't find the answer. So by putting it up here with the words I searched for, I hope I can help some other newby Vette owners get to the solution quicker.

I have had the interior lights staying on for about 2 months now, and I had NO idea how to shut them off. They'd time out eventually, so I never killed a battery, but I had NO idea what was causing it! It wasn't the dimmer, it wasn't the door switches - it was the door lock cylinders! If the keyhole isn't straight up and down (vertical), the lights stay on. I guess there's a spring or something in the lock cylinder that makes that thing return to it's center position that's worn out, because I'd leave that thing slightly off-center all the time without even thinking about it.

SO! After you've checked the dimmer on the dash and all three door switches - check the keyholes!

-Mike

And PS, BIG thanks to the guy named 1HotVette from Colorado who posted that up on another site. I found it through a Google search.
The following 6 users liked this post by MikeSVO:
H Watkins (04-23-2017), jazfe (01-13-2023), jv9999 (06-28-2022), Panin79 (06-27-2022), skipmeister (10-21-2019), x88 (02-11-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-14-2010, 12:16 AM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks,

Old 10-14-2010, 12:18 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

What year vette are you talking about. My door locks on my 87 do not have a switch on them.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:06 PM
MikeSVO
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jfb
What year vette are you talking about. My door locks on my 87 do not have a switch on them.
Sorry about that! This would be a 93. You're lucky for not having them!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:27 PM
shawn 84&92
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

That happened to my dad a few years ago and Gordon Killebrew diagnosed it for him as the lock cylinder not being straight. I would never have thought it would have worked.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:05 AM
VegasMJ
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you SO much for posting this! I just bought a used 1994 Corvette and was freaking out because the lights wouldn't shut off! I probably would have never figured this out on my own.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:28 AM
davearnold
Cruising

Is there a way to jumper this out so it's non-functional, and/or not an issue?
Old 06-14-2011, 03:54 PM
bsmutz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There has to be a switch of some sort by the lock. You can connect the two wires going to this switch together and eliminate the switch.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:25 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

On the information.

This is one of those pieces of information to remember.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:27 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

With keyless entry and alarm systems, the key locks (and the transmitters) use ground triggers for a couple of things.

First of all, a ground trigger is used to disarm the VATS. I think most of us know that.

Second of all, a ground trigger is used to wake-up the light-timer board. When you open a door, the door jam swithes provide that same trigger. And, as long as the ground stays active/connected, the lights will stay on. Only AFTER the ground drops will the timer cause the lights to turn-off after 30 seconds.

I have to say it would be tough to catch/diagnose the door lock causing the issue by being skewed, but I can see it happening. Good reseach/catch by the OP.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:14 PM
davearnold
Cruising

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try the trick of connecting the two wires together, and see how it affects everything. (mine is a 96) I hope it doesn't screw up the alarm system functionality. Sounds like it might.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:42 AM
davearnold
Cruising

Default Checking Dimmer Switch

I tried getting my lock cylinders perfectly aligned straight up, and could not get the lights to go off. I heard the OP say he had checked the dimmer switch, and I wonder if anyone knows the best way to prove if it is the dimmer switch, or not, other than just replacing it?
Old 10-14-2012, 12:38 AM
larry_lahodny
4th Gear

Originally Posted by MikeSVO
Hi all,

I'm just posting this up because I searched on here and didn't find the answer. So by putting it up here with the words I searched for, I hope I can help some other newby Vette owners get to the solution quicker.

I have had the interior lights staying on for about 2 months now, and I had NO idea how to shut them off. They'd time out eventually, so I never killed a battery, but I had NO idea what was causing it! It wasn't the dimmer, it wasn't the door switches - it was the door lock cylinders! If the keyhole isn't straight up and down (vertical), the lights stay on. I guess there's a spring or something in the lock cylinder that makes that thing return to it's center position that's worn out, because I'd leave that thing slightly off-center all the time without even thinking about it.

SO! After you've checked the dimmer on the dash and all three door switches - check the keyholes!

-Mike

And PS, BIG thanks to the guy named 1HotVette from Colorado who posted that up on another site. I found it through a Google search.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! It worked...had to do it three times to get it right, but in the end, it worked!!!
Old 05-03-2014, 09:57 AM
henrkh
1st Gear

It works, would never have tought about it.

Thank You very much :-)

Cheers
Old 05-17-2014, 06:03 PM
tomaspuigjane
5th Gear

Default Interior lights fuse keeps burning and cargo lights stay on

Hello,

About 2 weeks ago I bought a 96 corvette. a couple of days ago my interior lights stopped working. so I checked the fuse and saw it was burned. so I went a bought new fuse and burned it again. does anyone know where the short can be coming from.

Also after that for some reason my cargo lights wont turn off. I had to remove the bulbs because if not my battery will die. I tested the hatch switch and when u press it down 12v goes thru it and when u let it go it goes to 0. should it be the opposite way??
Old 05-18-2014, 08:00 PM
skullrider67
5th Gear

Hi all,

-Mike

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! Never would have guessed that it was that simple of a cure. VERY big help!!!
Walt
Old 08-10-2015, 01:19 PM
skyhawk1951
3rd Gear

Default Interior lights stay on!! Fixed

Hi all,

Thank you!!!! drove me to the brink!!

-Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Interior Lights stay on / won't shut off - FIXED!!

Old 04-22-2017, 09:32 AM
TheMongoose
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhawk1951
Bringing this to the top again! We've tried to figure out why the battery was going dead over the winter. Then when we had it out now that the weather has changed we noticed the interior lights not going out. Found this thread, and subsequently the key slot in the horizontal position. Turn key vertical and viola, the lights went out!
Old 05-28-2017, 04:25 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

So how do I fix this, sorry to bump up the thread, I am not sure how to fix it. I have this problem and it's been killing my battery Please guys!

The dash lights are on, the under knees steering wheel and passenger footwell are on... the rear view both lights are on (those get hot and were the primary ones to kill the battery, I unplugged the switch so that helped...)

Last edited by a_ahmed; 05-28-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:39 PM
Fatbloke-Dim
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Having same issues, but with only the cargo/storage area on my '93 convertible. Seems to kill the battery in about 5-6 hours ,which seems a bit quick to me. No other interior lights on, and with tonneau cover either open or closed ,and doors closed ,too.These lights get very hot, and they're not a great deal of use anyhoo ,and because they point backwards and are hard to see from outside the car ,may have been going on for years. Last resort is taking bulbs out ,but don't know if there's anything else I can't see may be on the same circuit , which may be sucking down volts, too.

Edit.......turns out ALL the interior lights stay on. Just never noticed the ones in the doors, as they point downwards, making 'em hard to see , and they ain't all that bright to start with ,at least, not in daylight.

Last edited by Fatbloke-Dim; 07-15-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Interior Lights stay on / won't shut off - FIXED!!