C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Interesting Idea...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:58 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Interesting Idea...

Ok, so I have been thinking, has anyone tried retrofitting a Z06 or stock C6 (with the dual mode) exhaust to a C4? I am curious to how it would work and if it does work, how will it sound? Where would you run the vacuum lines?

Any cutaway views of the C6 or Z06 muffler?

What do you guys think?
Old 11-16-2010, 08:19 PM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

That would be pretty difficult to do as the exhaust system is very different form a c4 to a c5/6. I have seen an electric cutout put inline that dumps straight out to eliminate the mufflers though. I'm sure a muffler shop could fab one up if you had the parts though.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:23 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C4DC
That would be pretty difficult to do as the exhaust system is very different form a c4 to a c5/6. I have seen an electric cutout put inline that dumps straight out to eliminate the mufflers though. I'm sure a muffler shop could fab one up if you had the parts though.
I was thinking of just using the mufflers and fab it up to the current exhaust pipping...
Old 11-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

C5 mufflers are mounted sideways behind the rear valance & have the in & out on the same end.

http://www.ecklers.com/assets/corvet.../sku/45439.jpg
Old 11-16-2010, 09:11 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=Churchkey;1575949319]C5 mufflers are mounted sideways behind the rear valance & have the in & out on the same end.

C5's have more room to work with for the mufflers, since there is no spare in the way.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:28 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

A friend of mine paid $500 for a pair of electric cutouts last week.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:30 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchkey
C5 mufflers are mounted sideways behind the rear valance & have the in & out on the same end.

True, but the OP is asking about C6 mufflers which are mounted front to back. They are in the center though.

You can see a cut away of the stock C6 muffler here: LINK
Old 11-16-2010, 11:20 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZBRA
True, but the OP is asking about C6 mufflers which are mounted front to back. They are in the center though.

You can see a cut away of the stock C6 muffler here: LINK
Thanks for the link! Now if I could only compare that to a C4 LT1 muffler cutaway! I think it would be cool to mount up just the muffler and weld in the rest of the factory exhaust! Then with the dual mode exhaust I can get that loud noise I want, keep the drone out, and prob increase power the best way possible throughout the whole RPM range.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:28 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

yes the theory will work. I have done something similar with usuing the manual way. I installed 2 plugs in my pipes and the low end TQ seemed a bit up. It was not worth it across the board, only for comming home in a half attempt at stealth mode.

headers, true duals, and no cats with borla mufflers was a bit loud.

The power effects system does something very siimilar.... if they ever got the electronic version of the flap to work... which I dont think they did. but I picked up the system anyways. I have not got around to playing with that system.

Just dug up this page.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

the red **** adjusts the flapper

Too be clear I dont know about the size of C6 stuff fitting. I am sure if you cut off the tips (leaving the valve) it would probably have a real good chance at fitting. Who knows maybe it would fit with it all there.

I posted this crap because you can do this stuff to a tip only and have it put on your exhaust/muffler without the need for the C6 mufflers.

Last edited by bill mcdonald; 11-16-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:32 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald
yes it will work. I have done something similar with usuing the manual way. I installed 2 plugs in my pipes and the low end TQ seemed a bit up. It was not worth it across the board, only for comming home in a half attempt at stealth mode.

headers, true duals, and no cats with borla mufflers was a bit loud.

The power effects system does something very siimilar.... if they ever got the electronic version of the flap to work... which I dont think they did. but I picked up the system anyways. I have not got around to playing with that system.

Just dug up this page.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

the red **** adjusts the flapper
Similar idea! Imagine if the engine rpm or vacuum could activate the flaps like in the C6 dual mode system!!! Thats whats making me think this could be worth it!
Old 11-17-2010, 01:02 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

The computer controls the valves in the c6 I believe. The computer programing for the regular exhaust c6 is different then the dual mode exhaust c6(all z06 and zr1 have them but they too have different rpm levels that it opens at, specific to the model). Borla was going to go ahead and make these. Guess it was once again a matter of not enough profit to be made sadly on a c4. Their site now has previews of their c5 system, but mentions nothing of a c4 system anymore.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:35 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If you can fab those mufflers up and make them fit you don't need to worry about the computer reporgramming. They now actually make a MTW (mild to wild) electric switch that can be wired to the inside of the car so that you can open the valve whenever you want. A guy I know has the switch wired to the deadpedal just like the highbeam light switch used to be on older cars.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:49 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do the electronic idea.

I don't know what the size of the pipes on the mufflers are where the vacuum actuator and valve is but you could chop it out and weld it into your own mufflers. OR just buy electronic cutouts for the right size and also do that. Same effect.

I think the mufflers are just not the right shape to fit a C4 but I never actually got my hands on some, if they aren't too bulky I'm sure a muffler shop could fab something up.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:36 AM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
You can do the electronic idea.

I don't know what the size of the pipes on the mufflers are where the vacuum actuator and valve is but you could chop it out and weld it into your own mufflers. OR just buy electronic cutouts for the right size and also do that. Same effect.

I think the mufflers are just not the right shape to fit a C4 but I never actually got my hands on some, if they aren't too bulky I'm sure a muffler shop could fab something up.
Yeah, I would just go E-cutouts but they are unreliable with age (leaking) and expensive. Also, where would I dump the exhaust without it looking bad and causing fumes to get into the cabin? 3in pipes are really thick and there is no room under the rear!

But with the mild to wild, its built into a vette exhaust and is reliable!
Old 11-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,752 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

At one time I had the idea of using electric cutouts and wiring it into the TPS sensor voltage. Since I decided to make my car a dedicated track car I havnt done anything with that idea. It would be a little more pricey but it might work. I was going to install the cutouts right under the diff. Here is a pictures of how I made my exhaust manual duel mode. I just unbolted the cap over the flanges, but that is where I wanted to put the cutouts.

The other tubes go to the stock mufflers.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:00 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Check with B&B I think they are coming out with them if they dont have them already
Old 11-17-2010, 12:37 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kubs
At one time I had the idea of using electric cutouts and wiring it into the TPS sensor voltage. Since I decided to make my car a dedicated track car I havnt done anything with that idea. It would be a little more pricey but it might work. I was going to install the cutouts right under the diff. Here is a pictures of how I made my exhaust manual duel mode. I just unbolted the cap over the flanges, but that is where I wanted to put the cutouts.

The other tubes go to the stock mufflers.

Thats a cool setup but I need my spare because my Vette is a daily driver so its a little different.

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Check with B&B I think they are coming out with them if they dont have them already

I contacted them twice a few months back about the fusion exhaust for the C4 and they never contacted me back...

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting Idea...

Old 11-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I have been considering this for a while. The main hurdle is how tall the C6 muffler is and how it would interfere with the diagonal brace just above our mufflers. The mufflers and tips would hang pretty low.

The bi-mode operation, at least what I have seen, is actually vacuum. There is a vacuum control madule that can switched electronically, but the valve itself is controlled by vacuum. Much like a purge valve solenoid. I would simply run it to the manifold, as vacuum decreases, valve opens.

I keep scouring the local ads for some cheap mufflers and my plan would be to either go to center exhaust (no spare currently, but wouldn't look right with where the tip provisions are in the bumper) or cut the tips off, rotate them 90° and weld back on. This way the muffler would be installed on it's "side" and not be as tall.

I want something quieter and if they can be used on a 430 - 505hp car, I think I'll be alright!

I think Corsa has a cutout view of the stock muffler, I remember seeing it a Carlisle a few years ago. I had to miss it this year but I was planning buying a set off someone having an aftermarket install done there.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:51 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dogfish246
Yeah, I would just go E-cutouts but they are unreliable with age (leaking) and expensive. Also, where would I dump the exhaust without it looking bad and causing fumes to get into the cabin? 3in pipes are really thick and there is no room under the rear!

But with the mild to wild, its built into a vette exhaust and is reliable!
Yeah, I had no clue about the electronic cutouts wearing out with age. What you really would need is an electronic butterfly valve. Drill a couple of holes in the valve (to suit your needs for “quiet sound”) and then have the valve open when triggered, however triggered. You could install this in one of the two pipes exiting a dual exit muffler and this would merely open the second pipe up when activated.

Kubs, I like the TPS idea.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:21 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Really simple but dumb idea... that probably isnt so simple so bear with me. If you had a dual exit exhaust like magnaflow or most of the rest, one of the pipes that exits the muffler, or even inside the tip, if you stuck a small bolt through it, then welded a circle "valve" almost the size of the muffler tubing to it then wouldnt the exhaust gas be enough to push it open depending on how much throttle was applied? Obviously the difficult part would be to have the circle weigh just enough so that >2000 or so rpms was not enough pressure for the exhaust gas to just blow it open, but rather just barely get past it. Then for it to weigh just enough that past those rpms the constant exhaust flow would be enough to keep it wide open. The flow would be pretty erratic but by that point its in the muffler tips so it wouldnt matter. Sorry if nobody understands that that was a horrible explination.

Quick Reply: Interesting Idea...