C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

If you change a major part on your engine, you better check your tune!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:54 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Default If you change a major part on your engine, you better check your tune!!!

As most here know I have been having Mick Stevens (mseven) doing my tune on my new 383 for the last few months. Things have been going great, every new chip I would get improving the performance noticable. About 2 weeks ago I had to replace the MAF sensor with a rebuilt unit, then a few days ago I did another datalog and sent it to Mick so he could burn me a new chip..Yesterday morning I get a call from Mick saying the datalog I sent him showed my car running very,very, lean and I shouldn't drive it until this problem was corrected..Come to find out replacing the MAF sensor with a different (rebuilt) unit changed my blm from 128,(which is perfect), all the way up to 145 to 148 which is very lean . Thank goodness Mick saw this and let me know quickly or I could have done serious damage to my engine..This post is just to let you guys know that changing a major part on your engine may also change your tune enough to do damage to it. Im just glad that Mick was there watching my back.. My suggestion is anytime you change a major part on your engine, do a scan to make sure you haven't changed your tune to the point that it could do damage..Thanks Mick, good job.......Wayne.

Last edited by WW7; 11-21-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:13 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm always amazed after major changes many will get one mail order tune and no data logging, then brag how well the car is running.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:21 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

"Its fine", "Runs fine so..."

No you dont know til ya log youd be surprised.

Good to hear the problem was caught!
Old 11-21-2010, 10:39 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no problem Wayne.
Typically going that lean from a known good blm/fueling would indicate vac leaks or possible fuel delivery issues. Because I had him check for the latter, I think in Waynes case the aftermarket maf is calibrated differently. I have tuned others cars who had to replace the MAF (with a gm version), but I would only see a couple of point deviation and nothing of any huge significance. Bottom line in this case is that it's going to lean/edgy for my taste, and I don't want to see anyones motor get hurt.
And for those who don't look at data with modded cars...well it's anyones guess as to what maybe truly going on.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:11 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

Way to go mseven!!! Hats off to you.

Get notified of new replies

To If you change a major part on your engine, you better check your tune!!!

Quick Reply: If you change a major part on your engine, you better check your tune!!!