C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Argh!! Now I have a Joy Buzzer!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 03:09 PM
myred86
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Argh!! Now I have a Joy Buzzer!

Earlier today I made a posting about a problem I've been chasing this weekend (I'll cut and paste below for reference). Now, the SES isn't lighting, but when I rev it, it sounds like a joy buzzer. Lasts only as long as I'm revving it. I did get a low voltage (~11 volts) when it was struggling at idle, but even stayed on once while I was revving it. I replaced the alternator a few years ago, and probably only have ~5k miles on it. I do use a tender a lot though (if that matters). I can't tell where the sound is coming from exactly - near the alternator, but so is the AIR pump. Based on the sound, I'm not wanting to get too close to it!! Any clues out there? Frustration level rising....
Here's what I posted this AM (if it helps!) ->
"So, I'm a late 86 with no engine mods. Been running like a champ in the 8 years I've her- until now! Weekend driver and with a busy schedule haven't been driving as much lately. I've done a ton of searches on here and have been dutifully following the service manual!
Here's the facts:
-Idle is surging, to the point of stalling
-A week or so ago, it would act like it would start and then die within a second or two.
-SES being lit- getting a Code 34
-I followed the Code 34 diagnostic from the service manual- I pulled the MAF connector, and it ran better than w/o the MAF connected. SES lit- and I followed the manual- it wasn't making codes with the MAF disconnected. The MAF "looked" okay- put it back together and the same surging. The manual says I should get a 33 (replace MAF) or 34 (replace ECM) and says nothing about not getting a code.
-My searches on here point to the two MAF relays- the MAF burn off and MAF sensor. They look to be original- I can still see the GM part number 14078907 on them. I "gently" whacked them with the butt of a screwdriver- idled fine for 3-4 minutes and went back to surging.
-Since a new MAF replacement is ~$900 at Mid America, should I just say 'what the heck' and replace both relays and see what happens? Not trying to force a cheaper solution (okay, yes I am), but I've replaced enough other relays in this car- isn't it just possible that they are the problem?"

Quick Reply: Argh!! Now I have a Joy Buzzer!