Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New ARH stainless headers & Xpipe have arrived...

Old 12-09-2010, 10:07 PM
[email protected]
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by hgh pwr View Post
those headers are only 2 yrs old,they look like 10yrs old.
All I hear is good things about EM headers .. they only last 2 years?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:42 AM
LT1*C4
CF Senior Member

BUMP!!

Just updated the thread again with a few new pictures. The headers are now in! (Check out the 2nd post for the a brief right-up)

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
All I hear is good things about EM headers .. they only last 2 years?

So did I.

I cannot speak for anyone else's experience in regards to EM's headers, only my own. In my particular situation, yeah, they lasted just under 2 years before starting to fall apart. Actually, they started rusting out after the first year, then just got progressively worse as time went on, so technically, they only lasted 1 year before starting to fall apart.

(I can laugh about it now, only because I've finally gotten rid of them. Prior to me purchasing the ARH's - I didn't find it funny at all. A grand for a pair of headers & extensions that never fit worth a dam and started rusting out after a year, is pretty sad when you think about it). I'm just happy to finally have a set of headers that actually FIT. It's been so long that I've been putting up with the constant engine vibration due to the EM's pressing up against the frame, that I don't even think I remember what a smooth ride feels like anymore.
Won't be having that problem anymore with the new headers, that's for sure!

To those running EM's without issue, that's great, I'm happy for you. Keep them. Enjoy them. But I for one am happy to finally get rid of mine!

Last edited by LT1*C4; 12-11-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Charleston2012
CF Senior Member

Great thread.
One thing to look into I learned about headers. I have real great SS headers from DRM. Great fit.
1. Look at where #7 primary is in relationship to your Brake Booster. The heat from the header can, over time, cause the booster to deteriorate. I recommend use a material from DEI or smiliar that you can wrap the booster to keep it alive. Mine, I used a infared gun to check and the temp was 250 degrees lower at the booster side. Guldstrand found this out years ago when testing for GM.
2. In the same manner, look at the upper control arm rear bushings and see how close they are to the header. Mine was within an inch, so I wrapped that new Poly bushing, rubber OEM will be affected too, to keep it from going bad due to the extra heat.
These are just two things I learned from headers.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:59 AM
dogfish246
CF Senior Member

So what do you think overall? Have you driven around at all (or are you still waiting for the new pipes)? Would you recommended them?

Last edited by dogfish246; 12-11-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:06 AM
twin540
CF Senior Member

Get it on video when ever possible. Thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 02:35 PM
88BlackZ-51
CF Senior Member

does this mean you are going to be putting that motor back together?
Old 12-13-2010, 02:41 PM
9T3VETTE
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by LT1*C4 View Post
BUMP!!

Just updated the thread again with a few new pictures. The headers are now in! (Check out the 2nd post for the a brief right-up)

So did I.

I cannot speak for anyone else's experience in regards to EM's headers, only my own. In my particular situation, yeah, they lasted just under 2 years before starting to fall apart. Actually, they started rusting out after the first year, then just got progressively worse as time went on, so technically, they only lasted 1 year before starting to fall apart.

(I can laugh about it now, only because I've finally gotten rid of them. Prior to me purchasing the ARH's - I didn't find it funny at all. A grand for a pair of headers & extensions that never fit worth a dam and started rusting out after a year, is pretty sad when you think about it). I'm just happy to finally have a set of headers that actually FIT. It's been so long that I've been putting up with the constant engine vibration due to the EM's pressing up against the frame, that I don't even think I remember what a smooth ride feels like anymore.
Won't be having that problem anymore with the new headers, that's for sure!

To those running EM's without issue, that's great, I'm happy for you. Keep them. Enjoy them. But I for one am happy to finally get rid of mine!
Wow, im not very happy right now after reading this. I just got down on the last group by and still have not installed the headers. All this rust is just from water being collected inside??

I hope this doesn't happen to me. What a waste of $700.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:37 PM
LT1*C4
CF Senior Member

Small update added above:

I installed some new spark plugs and took 2 picture's showing both the driver side and passenger side plug access with the new ARH's.

Originally Posted by dogfish246 View Post
So what do you think overall? Have you driven around at all (or are you still waiting for the new pipes)? Would you recommended them?
Still waiting for the other Xpipe. It's going to be shipped out today so it should be in this week if all goes well. So far, the headers themselves fit PERFECT, so if there's anyone looking to buy just the headers by themselves, ABSOLUTELY, I would recommend them! Once the Xpipe shows up, I will finish bolting the rest of the exhaust together. Then I'll be able to do a complete review of the entire system!

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51 View Post
does this mean you are going to be putting that motor back together?
If you're refering to the motor that's in the car now, it's running just fine as it sits. If you're refering to the 396 LT4 I mentioned earlier, that's going to take some time to finish since I just lost my job a few days ago. Money's going to be tight for the next little while and I won't be able to finish off the new motor until I'm back on my feat (financially speaking). So that may take some time...

Originally Posted by dubin4life View Post
Wow, im not very happy right now after reading this......... What a waste of $700.
PM sent!

Last edited by LT1*C4; 12-13-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:27 PM
dizwiz24
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Nice! How much were they if you don't mind me asking?

Those are completely beautiful. Thanks to ARH for supporting C4 !

I do have to ask how much they cost..... (im not rich enough such that I dont have to).
Old 12-13-2010, 08:31 PM
LT1*C4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post

Those are completely beautiful. Thanks to ARH for supporting C4 !

I do have to ask how much they cost..... (im not rich enough such that I dont have to).
Follow the link:

http://www.americanracingheaders.com/C4_Corvette.html

Pricing varies depending on what options you want.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:11 PM
dizwiz24
CF Senior Member

thank you for pointing out this unique new part for c4 owners.

I do have some questions.

1. About the cats. Any idea who makes those? Are those Random technologies? They look pretty small...

2. weight - any idea if this stainless steel is 'lighter' than the heavy stock exhaust?

3. stepped design. What is this? can you explain where the 'stepping' occurs?

4. stainless steel... any issues welding that to our regular exhaust system's aluminzed steel?

Thanks !

Im running TPIS 1 3/4" long tube headers on my 93 lt1. I installed them in october 2002. Never any issues with fit/clearance and, other than some minor JET-HOT coating flaking (nothing big), no issues with rust. Though there is some surface rust right at the junction of the collector ends. Nowhere near rust thru though. just surface.

That kit is a lot of money but you get what you pay for. you get what you pay for. it all looks great.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:40 PM
LT1*C4
CF Senior Member

1. About the cats. Any idea who makes those? Are those Random technologies? They look pretty small...
You'd be better off asking ARH that question since I really can't say for sure. It never occurred to me to ask, as I won't be running cats in mine. The xpipe in the pictures above was sent accidentally. The one I ordered originally was the catless design...

2. weight - any idea if this stainless steel is 'lighter' than the heavy stock exhaust?
The stock manifolds/cats weighed in at 26lbs each - (52lbs total)

The Exotic Muscle headers weighed in at 10lbs each - (20lbs total)

Weighed saved was 32lbs with the EM's over the heavy cast iron manifolds.

Unfortunately, I completely forgot to weigh the American Racing Headers and I'm still kicking myself in the butt for having forgotten to do so, as that was something I kept reminding myself not to forget.

What I can say is, when I first picked up the ARH's I was really surprised at how little they weighed. I'd imagine they weighed no more than 12-14lbs a piece (or about 4-8lbs more than the EM's - total)

Regardless, even if they did weigh 4-8lbs (total) more than the EM's, they would still be worth it for the fact that the ARH will never rust out like the mild steel EM's did.

The ARH's should weigh at least 24-28lbs less than the stock manifolds. Still a BIG weight savings in my book.

3. stepped design. What is this? can you explain where the 'stepping' occurs?
If you look closely at the primaries, you will notice that each primary "steps up" in size from 1 3/4" to a larger 1 7/8" size, hence the name "stepped headers".

4. stainless steel... any issues welding that to our regular exhaust system's aluminzed steel?
The entire system is designed with "slip fit" connections. No welding required. Just hook everything up and tighten a few clamps and you're good to go.

Last edited by LT1*C4; 12-14-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:52 PM
LT1*C4
CF Senior Member

The new "catless" Xpipe has arrived. Pictures have been updated on 2nd post. I also got my 02 sensors as well. Not sure if I'll have the time this weekend to finish things off, but I'll keep the thread updated as progress continues...
Old 12-20-2010, 12:06 PM
[email protected]
CF Senior Member

Excellent write up and photo's I dont know how I missed it! Look forward to further updates.

Anthony
ARH
Old 12-20-2010, 05:27 PM
383vett
CF Senior Member

I just installed my ARH longtubes yesterday. Great header and great craftsmanship. Where is a minor problem; the primaries contact the water line coming out of the block going to the heat exchanger above the filter. A 90 degree adapter and problem solving will take care of the problem. Great fit even with straight plug heads.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:02 PM
LT1*C4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
I just installed my ARH longtubes yesterday. Great header and great craftsmanship.
I agree.

My headers have been installed for a while now, but it's taken some time to finish up the rest of the install because of a few minor set-backs like having to wait for the new catless Xpipe to arrive, waiting on new plugs/02 sensors/plug wires etc. etc. :o

Now that I've received the new Xpipe and installed the new plugs and O2 sensors, I've run into one last snag.

The ARH system was designed to work with the factory exhaust in mind. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I'm running a Corsa exhaust which I assumed had the same length sections of pipe as the stocker. (I installed the Corsa a few years back when I first bought the car and never really noticed the difference in pipe length's)

After installing the new Xpipe, I realized that the extensions were about 7" - 8" too short and could't reach the Corsa's axle pipes. :o

Obviously, this has nothing to do with ARH as my exhaust system isn't stock and the ARH system is designed to work with the stock exhaust but this where things get interesting..

I got off the phone this morning with ARH and they told me that they'd ship out a pair of longer extensions TODAY to help get everything back together!

Now THAT is good customer service!

ARH would be well within their right to simply tell me to have a local exhaust shop fab up some new extensions, since my car is running an exhaust other than the one these headers were designed to hook up to, but instead, they're taking the time to send me extensions that will help everything fit.

These guy's have definitely earned my respect!

Big thanks to everyone at ARH for going above and beyond and helping me out on this install.

As soon as the extensions arrive, I'll finish off the rest of the exhaust and post some clips!

Stay tuned!
Old 12-20-2010, 08:11 PM
383vett
CF Senior Member

I'll be trying mine out on Jan 2, our first race of the year. Hoping for no rain, good air and a pb.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Doughboy2k3
CF Senior Member

So you going to get rid of those old EM headers?
Old 12-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Nick DL
CF Senior Member

Thanks for the write up. Can't wait to see the finished project.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:51 PM
littlesk8cracker
CF Senior Member

man, those pictures just sold me on the ARH product. looks like a top notch part that was well thought out. congrats!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New ARH stainless headers & Xpipe have arrived...

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: