C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New ARH stainless headers & Xpipe have arrived...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 04:18 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Looks good to me!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:34 AM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great review! I look forward to getting their stepped version in the future
Old 12-22-2010, 11:59 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Looks like a quality piece and well worth the money, finding even shorties that fit without having to mod can be a a pain. You did well

Looks like with the new headers your starter will be easier to change out also. Sweet
Old 12-27-2010, 08:19 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds awesome! How does it sound in person? Can you tell a difference from the old headers?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:16 PM
LT1*C4
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dogfish246
Sounds awesome!
Thanks!

How does it sound in person? Can you tell a difference from the old headers?
Oh, for sure. For starters, my car no longer shakes like it did with the poorly fitting EM's I ran before. These ARH system clears EVERYTHING! No contact anywhere and the chassis is as smooth as silk now.

In terms of sound, I immediately noticed three things. One, the exhaust note sounds a lot smoother than it did before. I guess you can say it sounds a lot "cleaner" or "more refined" than it did with the old set-up. There's also no more "popping" out of the exhaust when I rev up the motor, as it did with the old exhaust whenever I'd rev the motor past 3000rpm at idle. I'd say it's the new Xpipe that played the biggest role in eliminating the "popping" sound and smoothing out the exhaust sound.

It also has a deeper note at idle as well. This is most likely do to the larger primaries of the headers and the larger diameter exhaust.

Haven't taken the car out yet, and that's the biggest test of all. I can't wait to finally get around to hearing what the car sounds like being driven out in the open, not to mention how the car performs with the new exhaust.

So far though, I'm super happy with the results!

In the sound clip, I only spun the motor to about 3000rpm. It may not sound like a lot in the video, but in real life, I kept seeing dust and small pieces of insulation falling from my garage ceiling every time I hit the gas. I thought the roof on the garage was going to collapse.

This thing is LOUD in person! Definitely not the exhaust set-up for those looking for something quite! :o

Can't wait to hear what it sounds like screaming along @ 6000rpm

I will eventually update the thread with a full review and video...

Last edited by LT1*C4; 12-27-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:06 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LT1*C4
Thanks!

Oh, for sure. For starters, my car no longer shakes like it did with the poorly fitting EM's I ran before. These ARH system clears EVERYTHING! No contact anywhere and the chassis is as smooth as silk now.

In terms of sound, I immediately noticed three things. One, the exhaust note sounds a lot smoother than it did before. I guess you can say it sounds a lot "cleaner" or "more refined" than it did with the old set-up. There's also no more "popping" out of the exhaust when I rev up the motor, as it did with the old exhaust whenever I'd rev the motor past 3000rpm at idle. I'd say it's the new Xpipe played the biggest role in eliminating this "popping" sound and smoothing out the exhaust note.

It also has a deeper note at idle as well. This is most likely do to the larger primaries of the headers and the larger diameter exhaust.

Haven't taken the car out yet, and that's the biggest test of all. I can't wait to finally get around to hearing what the car sounds like being driven out in the open, not to mention how the car performs with the new exhaust.

In the sound clip, I only spun the motor to about 3000rpm. It may not sound like a lot in the video, but in real life, I kept seeing dust and small pieces of insulation falling from my garage ceiling every time I hit the gas. I thought the roof on the garage was going to collapse.

This thing is LOUD in person! Definitely not the exhaust set-up for those looking for something quite! :o

Can't wait to hear what it sounds like @ 6000rpm

Glad to hear it! I can tell you really like your new set-up! Nothing better than getting a product that meets and exceeds ur expectations! Are you going to do any insulating anywhere or is everything good?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:25 PM
LT1*C4
Racer

Are you going to do any insulating anywhere or is everything good?
The entire exhaust is fine the way it sits. The only insulating I'm going to have to do, is on the O2 sensor wires. The new O2's I installed have really long wires. During the video, I just tucked them up and out of the way a bit to keep them from touching the exhaust so they wouldn't melt (the wires are pretty thin and fragile). I'm going to pick up some fire sleeves and just slide a sleeve down the wire on the two O2 sensors and use a zip to to keep them out of the way. That should be more than enough...

Last edited by LT1*C4; 12-28-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:17 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

This is the best header install I've seen in here. I'm going to subscribe to keep it handy just in case I ever move out of California.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:24 AM
jimmymack
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11,'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21,'22-'23-'24

Thanks!

In terms of sound, I immediately noticed three things. One, the exhaust note sounds a lot smoother than it did before. I guess you can say it sounds a lot "cleaner" or "more refined" than it did with the old set-up. There's also no more "popping" out of the exhaust when I rev up the motor, as it did with the old exhaust whenever I'd rev the motor past 3000rpm at idle. I'd say it's the new Xpipe that played the biggest role in eliminating the "popping" sound and smoothing out the exhaust sound.

Can't wait to hear what it sounds like screaming along @ 6000rpm

I'm especailly interested in hearing your results on resonance with the new setup. Sounds great a idle.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:48 AM
89vette
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

I wonder if your garage not being heated had something to do with the EM headers rusting? I just bought a new set of EM headers with cats and am going to install them soon. I used to have LPE 1 5/8" headers which made it impossible to change spark plugs and then I switched to TPIS 1 3/4" headers. That was in 2000 I think. They were rusted but still very functional. I sold them to a Forum member. My biggest beef with the headers was the number 7 tube was in the way of the spark plug and I had to hammer the pipe. The reason I replaced them was because the pipes between the header and the Corsa cat back were fabbed by a local guy and were very restrictive. The EM setup is better. I do like the looks of these stainless headers though.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:24 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 89vette
I wonder if your garage not being heated had something to do with the EM headers rusting? I just bought a new set of EM headers with cats and am going to install them soon. I used to have LPE 1 5/8" headers which made it impossible to change spark plugs and then I switched to TPIS 1 3/4" headers. That was in 2000 I think. They were rusted but still very functional. I sold them to a Forum member. My biggest beef with the headers was the number 7 tube was in the way of the spark plug and I had to hammer the pipe. The reason I replaced them was because the pipes between the header and the Corsa cat back were fabbed by a local guy and were very restrictive. The EM setup is better. I do like the looks of these stainless headers though.

Rusting isnt really related to heat... Sure a heat expedite the rusting process a little, but you need oxygen and moisture to cause rust...
Old 12-29-2010, 01:50 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by 89vette
I do like the looks of these stainless headers though.
I installed my ARH headers last week. After they have been run a few times, the strainless steel looks dark and ugly, as expected, so don't go by the looks of new headers. This is a race car, so I am not concerned. If you want the engine compartment to look good, might want to think of coating the headers before installing. Willie

Old 12-29-2010, 05:41 PM
redvetttes
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you need the cats and pre cats on a 86?
Would it be too load if I hollow them out?
Would it screw up the ECM's data ?
No sniff test here
Old 12-29-2010, 06:17 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 383vett
I installed my ARH headers last week. After they have been run a few times, the strainless steel looks dark and ugly, as expected, so don't go by the looks of new headers. This is a race car, so I am not concerned. If you want the engine compartment to look good, might want to think of coating the headers before installing. Willie

Still looks a lot better than the stock rusty manafolds

Let us know if your car runs faster down the strip now!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:22 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Still looks a lot better than the stock rusty manafolds

Let us know if your car runs faster down the strip now!
I'll let you guys know after Sunday's race (weather permitting). Willie
Old 12-30-2010, 12:50 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

UPDATE:

Finally got around to installing the rest of the exhaust. Sorry for the long delay, but with the Christmas Holiday's happening, I just haven't had the time.

Quick sound clip:

I'll shoot a better one with some actual driving around out in the open just as soon as I can.
When did you get this car? Where is blue?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Fish-man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

got any more detail on the gaskets they sent?
dimensions/material...

Get notified of new replies

To New ARH stainless headers & Xpipe have arrived...

Old 01-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Anthony@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gaskets are graphite from Flatout Race just like the ones we use for most of our other systems. They are a great gasket and we haven't had any problems with them.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:03 PM
LT1*C4
Racer

It's been about 8 month's now since I last installed these American Racing Headers and I've put just under 9,200km on them so I thought I'd go ahead and update this thread on how these headers have performed/held up so far, so here goes...

There are NO exhaust leaks to speak of, neither from the header flange's, nor the collectors. Everything still remains as tight as they day I installed them. The headers themselves (visually) do look different compared to when they were new back in December. They've darkened since then and as you can see from the pictures below, now sport a rather cool-looking, bronze-like colour. Of coarse, that's just my opinion, but I like it.

The headers are still 100% rust free. While that may seem like a no-brainer given the fact that they're made of stainless steel, I have in the past, run into issues with so-called "stainless steel" headers which actually started showing signs of rust, especially in/around the welds, so I know that not all grades of stainless are equal and some really do last longer than others. From the looks of things so far, these headers are definitely made from the good stuff.

The xpipe and intermediate pipes (both stainless as well) still look brand spanking new. I'd even go as far as to say they look as if they were installed yesterday and I haven't even so much as wiped them down with a rag. They're spotless and just like the headers, will probably outlast even me.

Plug access, as you can clearly see, is a HUGE improved over the stock manifolds as well as the EM's I used to run. This combined with the deletion of the ASR box, meant my last spark plug and wire change only took me about 20 minutes.

Finally, I was reminded again last night after a drive in a friends C4 with similar mods just how much harder these stepped 1 3/4 -1 7/8" headers and Xpipe pull compared to the old 1 3/4" header/Hpipe set-up.

From 4500rpm and up, my '92 just starts pulling away form my buddies C4 (basically the same mods as mine except he's running 1 5/8" primaries and Hpipe). We used to run neck and neck before my ARH swap....

No other mods have been done to either car since then (none that affect power output anyway) so I know that the gains are strictly from the ARH stepped header/xpipe upgrade.

I've yet to take a decent sound clip of the car (I'll try later this weekend) but I get nothing but compliments on the way it sounds from just about everyone who hears the car. How much of this has to do with the header design/primary size and how much of it has to do with the x pipe and larger intermediate pipes I can't say for sure, but the car sounds incredible at any speed, but especially so, at wide open throttle.

Anyways, just wanted give my final review of these headers. Their looks, fit, finish, ease of installation and performance increase is well worth the price of admission. They're hands down the best headers available for these cars bar none.

I know a lot of people think the aftermarket has abandoned the C4, but the truth is, there are still high-end, top quality parts being made and just as importantly, still being made in the good 'ol US of A.

Last edited by LT1*C4; 08-24-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:51 AM
AR Headers
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 127 Likes on 55 Posts

LT1*C4, We really appreciate you resurrecting the thread to express your thoughts. We're delighted to know that we've met your expectations. we work very hard to accomplish that with every system we provide. We hope you enjoy a million miles of smiles with your ARH equipped hot rod. All the best!

Nick
A.R. Headers

Quick Reply: New ARH stainless headers & Xpipe have arrived...