C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What's the best way to change the 700r4 trans fluid at home?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:56 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by hooked073
Thats . Granted I can no longer do what I used to. I was in this bussiness for over 30years. But I do not think I changed my oil 2 times in my life why? because by the time I buy the oil filter deal with the mess ect it is not worth my time for the couple of dollars I saved unless I already have it on the lift and doing something else. In life no matter what it is you have to have trust in what people do for you. I don.t care if they love my car or if it gives them an orgasm. Do what I want and do it right and I am happy. Just like you trust your doctor,carpentor ect. I still love to work on my car. But if I cannot or choise not to work on it like anything else I need to have trust in others.
Your statement is . I do all the maintenance and performance work on my cars not because I can't afford it, I can, but because I want it done right. When I am done changing oil for instance, I know for sure the drain plug(s) are tight, the filter is tight and the right type and amount of oil was used. On the C6Z forum, there have been more than a few LS7 motors that have been ruined because the dealer didn't drain both sumps and/or put the wrong amount of oil in or poured the oil in the valve cover instead of the dry sump. There have been at least 6 hydrolocked motors because of this. I have had tires and wheels mounted and the dufus used just an impact gun to mount the wheels. When asked if he was going to torque them, the tech said the impact gun was "calibrated". Came home with noise up front. Wheel was loose. When I was a kid I worked in a gas station. Changed the oil on a Mustang. Back then, cars that were serviced were run through a car wash down the street. When I got back with the car, the lifters were clattering. You can figure out what happened. I remember breaking a thermostat housing on a car after changing a thermostat. Didn't have the thing seated and tighten the bolts down. These are mistakes than anyone learning how to work on a car can do. You just don't want the guy to learn and make mistakes on your car. I feel I am very competent when I work on my cars, yet I check, double check and triple check everything. No one will treat my cars as well as I do and I won't let anyone touch my cars unless I know the person or unless I am watching. Willie
Old 12-12-2010, 10:14 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tblt44 first want to say sorry did not mean to be offinceive For some reason I have felt that way about oil changes for many years. Yep they do get messed up at times but for the most part usaly not a problem. And damn hard to beat the price. For over 27 years I was incharge of a fleet of over 300 vehicles and 7 techs. (until I had to retire) Maybe durning this time it took some of the pleasure out of working on cars. Somethings just seem to "me" to be more wise or cost effective. I do respect all you and all the other guys who want to do as much as you can. I wish I could do more now then I can but more then anything else I wish I had the passion to do more.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:01 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I may be getting some type of break for the amout of work I give them.
Maybe, if you were doing your own repairs, you wouldn't be giving the shop so, much work.

Peace of Mind knowing that you have worked on your vehicle correctly, is well worth the time and money spent!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:59 AM
Moon86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I bought a 4 post lift during the summer so I didn't have to crawl under the car anymore. Even tho I have 8' ceilings I can get the car high enough so I can sit on a mechanics roll around seat and work on the Vette. To recoup that investment I will definitely be doing my own work as much as possible.

As others have suggested, I will be doing the pump out option with the suction pump, drop pan, change filter, add fresh oil, disc top line, start car and pump fluid in converter out repeating until the fluid is clean and new. I'll save the pumped out fluid to use in my chainsaw chain oiler since it's been thru a filter.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:49 AM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GKK
Maybe, if you were doing your own repairs, you wouldn't be giving the shop so, much work.

Peace of Mind knowing that you have worked on your vehicle correctly, is well worth the time and money spent!
When you are incharge of a fleet determiting what is the most cost effective thing for the fleet is one of the many things you look at. And this involves subletting some jobs out. It is not about doing work on my own cars.

I know what you are saying about peace of mind. But I try to have trust that when I paysome they do it right. You just cannot live life doing everything your self because you have no trust.

Cars were my profession. They are still my hobby but for the most part after all these years doing most anything on a car is more of a job then pleasure.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:20 AM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

willie the trust argument can go on forever and ever. I am happy that you like, and are capible of doing the work on your cars. It can be fun, challanging, and rewarding. I also know people mess up it happens. And sure no one cares about anything you own as much as you do. Still to "me" if I can get a oil change for about what I pay in materals and not have the mess ect I am going to do it all day.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:40 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

willie the trust argument can go on forever and ever. I am happy that you like, and are capible of doing the work on your cars. It can be fun, challanging, and rewarding. I also know people mess up it happens. And sure no one cares about anything you own as much as you do. Still to "me" if I can get a oil change for about what I pay in materals and not have the mess ect I am going to do it all day.
That's cool, to each his own.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:37 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't have a lift and late 50's with a bad back so putting the car up on stands to lose 4 bucks changing my own oil does not pay well. Where I am used oil old paint etc is hazardous wast and they only have places to easily drop it off for free a couple times a year then you still get charged for a lot of things. It is also the reason i had the dealer change the trans fluid this summer that is now the subject of another post and will not get into it here. Saying all that it was not done the way i would have wanted it done so I suppose you have a very valid point as well. I keep telling them I want nothing new and improved just use what they did when the car was new is just fine and exactly what I want. By the same token I wanted a non stock wheel alignment that other shops would not do and their attitude is you car if the tires wear poorly or there are driving issues your problem not ours so I guess there is a give and take at times.
Dave
Old 12-13-2010, 02:07 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 383vett
That's cool, to each his own.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:09 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by 383vett
Here we go again. If your fluid is burnt, you would want to drop and clean the pan, change the filter and button the thing up with a new gasket. Fill the pan with 4 quarts of flesh fluid. Somewhere between the radiator and the tranny, disconnect the upper (return) line going to the tranny and put a hose over it. Put the hose in an empty gallon container. Run the motor for a minute or so until the container is 3/4 full. This will be old fluid out of the converter, cooler and lines. Stop the motor, put another 4 quarts in the tranny. Run it again. Stop the motor. Do it once more until you have used a total of 11 or 12 quarts of fluid and the fluid running out of the hose is clean. Check the fluid level and drive away.

Here, from the C4 horse's mouth himself.
Most of us know him and few of us met him

Quick Reply: What's the best way to change the 700r4 trans fluid at home?