C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Mityvac or Motive brake bleeder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 01:44 AM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mityvac or Motive brake bleeder?

Whats the best brake bleeder you have used. No speed bleeders please.
Motive has a pump up one, but Mityvac has a whole bunch too.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:14 AM
bcollid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charleston2012
Whats the best brake bleeder you have used. No speed bleeders please.
Motive has a pump up one, but Mityvac has a whole bunch too.
I have the Motive and it works very well. I struggled wit the Mityvac hand pump cheap product.

I typically use two small bottles of brake fluid with the MOtive . Its a 10 minute/one man job
Old 09-17-2010, 08:44 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never had a problem with a Mitivac. The only thing to be aware of is that it will suck air in around the bleeder threads, since there is vacuum and not pressure in the caliper.

So after you bleed with the Mitivac, I always let it gravity bleed to get that bit of air around the threads out.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:10 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurora40
I've never had a problem with a Mitivac. The only thing to be aware of is that it will suck air in around the bleeder threads, since there is vacuum and not pressure in the caliper.

So after you bleed with the Mitivac, I always let it gravity bleed to get that bit of air around the threads out.
I use the Mitivac. And that is the one thing I hate about it as there always is air bubbles in the brake fluid. So, I never bleed the brakes, I just flush them since you can't tell with all the air being pulled in past the bleeder threads.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:50 AM
PDQUIK95
Burning Brakes

Location: Portsmouth Virginia 396LT4 435RWHP/400RWTQ Best so far 11.26 @ 123mph

I use the Motive pressure bleed system on the 95. Works great and as said is a one man job. Just don't get carried away with the amount of pressure used. 10 to 15 is about all that is needed. I bleed the wheels and ABS unit with new fluid about every two years using the Motive .
Rick
Old 09-17-2010, 09:52 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I've used the mity vac - don't like it for the reasons others have posted.
I'm currently using a vaccum bleeder attached to the air compressor - its much better.
My next purchase will be the Motive however. I've used other racers setup and it is much easier to use.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:53 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I use the MityVac. There is no air going into the calipers, it's being pulled from outside and into the MityVac line. If you let the MityVac drop to 0", then the caliper gravity bleeds...again, no air is going in the caliper.

At some point I'll probably buy a Motive bleeder. It's definitely quicker than the MityVac since you don't have to continously pump it.

FWIW, I use Ate fluids so that I can clearly see when fresh fluid is exiting the caliper. Right now Ate Super Blue is in the system (yes, it's blue in color). The next time I bleed the brakes I will use Ate Type 200 which is gold in color. I bleed my brakes before every track day. On a street / 1/4 mile only car this would be way overkill.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:55 AM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I use the type you connect to an air compressor - gives it constant suction, impossible to get air in line.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
I use the MityVac. There is no air going into the calipers, it's being pulled from outside and into the MityVac line. If you let the MityVac drop to 0", then the caliper gravity bleeds...again, no air is going in the caliper.
Yes, no air into the caliper or lines. Since it's under vacuum, the air goes around the bleed screw threads then out the bleed screw. It makes it hard to tell if you got all the air out of a caliper if you replaced it or a line, since there are always bubbles. But the air sucked in can only be around the bleeder, which is why a gravity bleed to finish it off is all that is needed.

I've never had a problem with a soft pedal or air when using this method to bleed brakes.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

How do you use an air compressor?
Old 09-17-2010, 02:07 PM
muskegonbrake
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a Motive bleeder let me know, I have a few on the shelf.

Andrew
800-442-0335
Old 09-18-2010, 05:46 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

I have both. I find the mityvac to be quick and easy, bleeding the clutch was a piece of cake with it as well.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:30 AM
EastCoastHD
Instructor

http://www.brakebleeder.com/index.ph...products_id=16
Phoenix V-12. Used it when I R&R'd my clutch hydraulics and brakes as well. Performed as advertised.

The feature I like is the ability to reverse bleed. It makes sense since the master cylinders are the highest point in both systems, that it would be best to push the trapped air up and out.

When I replaced my brake master I used the tool to first "pull" the fluid from the system at each wheel, making sure to keep the master topped-off. This flushed the system. I then reverse bleed at each wheel. The most difficult part of this procedure is assuring the bleeders are loose enough to allow fluid transfer but not so loose that air is introduced into the system.

Not saying other methods can't be used successfully, just offering my 2 cents.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:00 PM
eguyett1985
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have one identical to this but I don't think the brand is private brand, it's something else. I picked it up off the Snap-On truck and it works great on nearly every car we do in the shop from Ford GT's with Brembo calipers and Motul fluid to C3's with silicone brake fluid:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Speed...ht_2250wt_1167

If I recall it was like 80.00-90.00. At first it took some getting used to because it pulls more air thru the system then the system can flow so it ends up pulling air around the threads on the bleeder screw and a very small amount thru the bleeder boot on the unit (although it fits much better than most of the power bleeders I've used). When you use it, just bleed each bleeder for about 45 seconds to a minute after fluid starts pulling through the line in to the unit and then go to the next one. In the last two years I've only had one car it didn't work well on (an early Mustang with 4 wheel discs) and one car that I had to do each caliper a second time. I just used it last night on a Ford GT we replaced calipers on and it worked awesome and made quick work of the job, best of all, when you remove the boot from the bleeder screw you can keep the vacuum applied and there is no mess at the screw which is really important if you have hi-buck painted calipers!
Old 09-19-2010, 01:23 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by muskegonbrake
If you want a Motive bleeder let me know, I have a few on the shelf.

Andrew
800-442-0335
How much are they?
Old 09-21-2010, 04:35 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Charleston2012
How do you use an air compressor?
This is the one I use:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1

Originally Posted by EastCoastHD
http://www.brakebleeder.com/index.ph...products_id=16
Phoenix V-12. Used it when I R&R'd my clutch hydraulics and brakes as well. Performed as advertised.
Yep, I use the Phoenix for doing clutch master and slave but I like the air compressor method for brakes.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:53 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by RUKWKR
FYI you can find the same vaccum/air compressor attached bleeder at Harbor Freight for less than $40, on sale less than $30.

I've had mine for two years and use it once a month to pull the dirty fluid from my calipers.

Get notified of new replies

To Mityvac or Motive brake bleeder?

Old 09-21-2010, 11:08 PM
92WhiteVetteGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aurora40

I bought a basic Mity-Vac kit for $25-30 ~15 years ago. Have used it on all my cars and motorcycles over the years. I found that Teflon tape wrapped around the threads will eliminate/minimize air being drawn through the bleeder bolt threads.
It works!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:13 PM
huknuP
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 92WhiteVetteGuy
I bought a basic Mity-Vac kit for $25-30 ~15 years ago. Have used it on all my cars and motorcycles over the years. I found that Teflon tape wrapped around the threads will eliminate/minimize air being drawn through the bleeder bolt threads.
It works!!!
Mityvac
Old 10-08-2010, 02:44 PM
asd123
1st Gear

Default How To Bleed Your Brakes in Three Easy Steps

1. Add brake fluid to the Motive Power Brake Bleeder tank.

2. Firmly connect the supplied adapter to brake master cylinder and pump the Motive Power Brake Bleeder to pressurize.

3. Starting with the furthest away brake bleeder valve (typically on the rear of the vehicle), open brake bleeder valve and purge the air and old brake fluid from your brake system.

For more info visit: http://www.buybrakes.com/motive

Quick Reply: Mityvac or Motive brake bleeder?