C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

89 brake resevoir and cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 05:07 PM
ouimetteracing
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 brake resevoir and cover

Hey guys I was auto crossing my car yesterday. We got through half of the runs and my reservoir cap came off of the front brake reservoir. We were unable to locate the cap so we decided to try to zip tie a piece of plastic and a rag over it just to get through the rest of the day. unfortunatly when we went to zip tie the rag the hole reservoir basically fell apart and cracked in half due to old age. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to purchase a reservoir and cap for an 1989 corvette. I found the reservoir at corvette central but they dont have the cap to it. If I can find both cap and reservoir in one it would be ideal. Thanks in advance.

Brian Ouimette
Ouimette Racing #13
Old 11-14-2010, 07:16 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,005 Likes on 837 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by ouimetteracing
Hey guys I was auto crossing my car yesterday. We got through half of the runs and my reservoir cap came off of the front brake reservoir. We were unable to locate the cap so we decided to try to zip tie a piece of plastic and a rag over it just to get through the rest of the day. unfortunatly when we went to zip tie the rag the hole reservoir basically fell apart and cracked in half due to old age. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to purchase a reservoir and cap for an 1989 corvette. I found the reservoir at corvette central but they dont have the cap to it. If I can find both cap and reservoir in one it would be ideal. Thanks in advance.

Brian Ouimette
Ouimette Racing #13
Our forum sponser at the top of this page. Click on their logo. J and D corvette.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:29 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get it at your local dealer. It will be cheaper than paying shipping from somewhere else. I think I paid around $5 for the reservoir. Didn't get the cap though. I also think it is good to get new reservoirs if you get a rebuilt master. That way you can bench bleed it to make sure it doesn't leak before tearing your old master off the car.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:31 AM
ouimetteracing
Intermediate

What all am I going to need to order. Do I need to purchase both a reservoir cap and the diaphragm or should they come together. The cap that I have still looks to me like it is one piece so I thought they should be combined in one.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:35 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

What all am I going to need to order. Do I need to purchase both a reservoir cap and the diaphragm or should they come together. The cap that I have still looks to me like it is one piece so I thought they should be combined in one.
The cap should be one piece. I think the diaphram is molded into the cap.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:46 AM
ouimetteracing
Intermediate

ok thats what I thought but when I went to order the cap on the product page it states
"# Stock Replacement
# Must Use P/N 107067 Brake Master Cylinder Diaphragm"

http://www.corvettesouth.com/corvett...ap-999245.html

It just threw me for a loop.

Thanks
Brian Ouimette
Ouimette Racing #13
Old 11-15-2010, 01:27 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

ok thats what I thought but when I went to order the cap on the product page it states
"# Stock Replacement
# Must Use P/N 107067 Brake Master Cylinder Diaphragm"

http://www.corvettesouth.com/corvett...ap-999245.html

It just threw me for a loop.

Thanks
Brian Ouimette
Ouimette Racing #13
Maybe they are seperate. The cap on mine looked like one piece.

Why aren't you ordering through your local GM dealer? The parts are cheaper and you don't have to pay shipping. Just order the reservoir and cap from the dealer. And if it doesn't come with the diaphram in the cap. Then order the diaphram.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:24 AM
ouimetteracing
Intermediate

I just figured that the dealer is normally more expensive than online but if it truly will be cheaper then I guess ima run down to the Chevy dealership tonight and check things out.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:47 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

They often fall off because there's an internal leak in the master which then allows fluid to flow from one side to the other. You may need a new Master or at least a piston seal.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:51 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Brian Ouimette
Ouimette Racing #13
corvette speciality
Old 01-21-2011, 04:56 PM
CorvetteCentral.com
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Brian Ouimette
Ouimette Racing #13
Hi Brian -

The plastic cap is part 194179.

You will also need 194198 (brake master cylinder rubber diapraghm).
Old 01-21-2011, 08:14 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

really good to see a vender take an active interest, respectfully, bob

Get notified of new replies

To 89 brake resevoir and cover

Quick Reply: 89 brake resevoir and cover