C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Muffler System

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:23 PM
gofastgirl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Muffler System

I'm thinking of upgrading the mufflers on my 35th Annv. Like something with a mellow sound but not a lot of highway drone..not something LOUD...any ideas.....Thanks
Old 01-22-2011, 11:23 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you just want mufflers, you can install the 92-96 LT1 mufflers which flow better than the earlier L98 mufflers and sound a little better. But, the Only aftermarket exhaust system without any Drone is the Corsa.

This has been discussed to DEATH but, Corsa is THE ONLY Catback exhaust system which sounds good and does not have any Drone. It's expensive but, if you want good sound with no drone, Corsa is the only way to go.

You can try a cheaper aftermarket muffler only system but I Guarantee, you will not be satisfied and you'll eventually learn the hard way as I and a lot of other C4 owners have.

Good luck, with your decision.

Last edited by GKK; 01-23-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:18 PM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by GKK
If you just want mufflers, you can install the 92-96 LT1 mufflers which flow better than the earlier L98 mufflers and sound a little better. But, the Only aftermarket exhaust system without any Drone is the Corsa. This has been discussed to DEATH but, Corsa is THE ONLY Catback exhaust system which sounds good and does not have any Drone. It's expensive but, if you want good sound with no drone, Corsa is the only way to go.

You can try a cheaper aftermarket muffler only system but I Guarantee, you will not be satisfied and you'll eventually learn the hard way as I and a lot of other C4 owners have.

Are you looking for more performance or just a better sound? I see you are interested in auto crossing,if that is the case, the exhaust system on your car(L98 engine)is pretty restrictive from the factory and you might want to look into upgrading the whole system at some point.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:20 PM
xole
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GKK
This has been discussed to DEATH but, Corsa is THE ONLY Catback exhaust system which sounds good and does not have any Drone. It's expensive but, if you want good sound with no drone, Corsa is the only way to go.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:29 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Outside of Corsa almost every aftermarket muffler out there is going to drone some period. Leave it stock or turn the radio up your choice.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:46 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

my 87 with flowmasters droned bad when I got it. I redid the hangers and rubber isolators ,and a few other adjustments, no more droning. a good exhuast shop can make it so you'll be happy. a bad shop, and all you'll have is noise.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:04 AM
jeff355
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had flowmasters on the vette when I got it. They are coming off asap. I have a pair of magnaflows on my 80 Z28 and I love them. I will never buy another brand. Magnaflows get my vote.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:48 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I actually agree with this. If the flowmasters hadnt already been on , i would have gone with the magna's. I got rid of the drone, but they're still a bit to loud.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:39 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by GKK
If you just want mufflers, you can install the 92-96 LT1 mufflers which flow better than the earlier L98 mufflers and sound a little better. But, the Only aftermarket exhaust system without any Drone is the Corsa.

Get notified of new replies

To Muffler System

Quick Reply: Muffler System