C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1991 Died After Two Minutes

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:08 PM
VetteTheWorld
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1991 Died After Two Minutes

This afternoon, as I was leaving tennis practice, my 1991 died. I climbed in the car and let it warm up for about a minute. I then backed out of my spot, popped the transmission into first, and then started to take off. I was abruptly stopped though because the car died. There is gas in the car. The car has absolutely no current running in any of the wires; the battery is holding at 9.15 Volts. There is also a ticking noise coming from the passenger side underneath the dash. I had the lights on, AC off, and the windows down. The windows is probably my biggest concern because night is falling and I don't want to leave my baby in the middle of an abandoned parking lot. Any suggestions as to why this happened or solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Blame
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteTheWorld
This afternoon, as I was leaving tennis practice, my 1991 died. I climbed in the car and let it warm up for about a minute. I then backed out of my spot, popped the transmission into first, and then started to take off. I was abruptly stopped though because the car died. There is gas in the car. The car has absolutely no current running in any of the wires; the battery is holding at 9.15 Volts. There is also a ticking noise coming from the passenger side underneath the dash. I had the lights on, AC off, and the windows down. The windows is probably my biggest concern because night is falling and I don't want to leave my baby in the middle of an abandoned parking lot. Any suggestions as to why this happened or solutions would be greatly appreciated.
It has no power what so ever?
you sure all fuses are good battary cable on (ie not loose)?
Old 01-28-2011, 09:26 PM
VetteTheWorld
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually went back a couple hours later and I checked out the situation. It actually cranked, surprisingly. I am going to run some diagnostics on the battery and the entire electrical system. This was a crazy night!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:40 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The HEI coil needs at least 10volts to fire off correctly. If you don't turn up any loose cables then perhaps you should get the alternator's output voltage checked and have the battery load tested.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:49 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm surprised you got anything at all with batt. voltage that low, should be 12+ volts with engine off. You definitely need to go over the charging system and battery, cables, etc.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:59 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you only had 9 volts and then went back later and the car started, sounds like the starter solenoid could have stayed engaged and kept drawing current. If you wouldn't have been able to start it back up later, I'd suggest battery and/or alternator.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:10 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like a poor battery cable connection. At least once a year you should remove the battery cables (neg first), clean the cable lugs, battery terminals and bolts and replace the cables (neg last). The cable connection is in the presence of an acid atmosphere and they don't last forever.

Get notified of new replies

To 1991 Died After Two Minutes

Quick Reply: 1991 Died After Two Minutes