C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

is the throwout and pilot bearing the same w black label and blue label zf trans?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Default is the throwout and pilot bearing the same w black label and blue label zf trans?

My 93 has a blue tag zf, with a remanufactured plaque.

If I install a black tag zf, for extra strength, one day ....

Will I need difft pn throwout and pilot bearing?

Also, will the flywheel housing be the same?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
My 93 has a blue tag zf, with a remanufactured plaque.

If I install a black tag zf, for extra strength, one day ....

Will I need difft pn throwout and pilot bearing?

Also, will the flywheel housing be the same?
As far as I know, the only difference between black and blue tags is the angle of the gears inside the transmission. You should be able to use the same throwout bearing and pilot bearing. I recommend going with the needle roller throwout bearing though.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:59 AM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

The black tag uses a T.O bearing with a bigger inside diameter. They are different from the blue tag T.O. bearing. Everything else is the same.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:12 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by tpi 421 vette
The black tag uses a T.O bearing with a bigger inside diameter. They are different from the blue tag T.O. bearing. Everything else is the same.
Ok, this is what I am worried about.

Getting a good one may not be easy....

The new AC Delco throwout bearings now are 'made in china' .

I bought one (a made in china), on my last clutch job, it had so much 'slop' in it, that I re-used my old one.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:11 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Default ZF Transmission

Originally Posted by tpi 421 vette
The blue tag has a smaller input shaft than the black tag. I jut got a blue tag ZF to replace my black tag (We should make a swap!!) which has a bad 2nd gear synchro, and I'm expecting to need a clutch disk with a smaller diameter hole as well as a different throwout bearing. Does that sound right?

So Dizwiz24, I think you'll need a different clutch plate as well. In your cse, one with a larger diameter hole for the trans shaft.

Any educated guesses as to what the lablor might cost to get this swap done?

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:08 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by helphos
The blue tag has a smaller input shaft than the black tag.
The shaft itself is the same size between blue/black. The flange that sticks out on the front of the trans is bigger on the black tag. That's the piece that the TO bearing rides on so the TO bearings are different as mentioned above. The diameter of the shaft itself, though is the same, so the clutch disks are the same.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:16 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Default ZF transmission Black and Blue

Originally Posted by MarkBychowski
The shaft itself is the same size between blue/black. The flange that sticks out on the front of the trans is bigger on the black tag. That's the piece that the TO bearing rides on so the TO bearings are different as mentioned above. The diameter of the shaft itself, though is the same, so the clutch disks are the same.
That is great news!
Thanks!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:30 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Labor? I dontknow I did it myself. Chilton manual, tools, a garage and abt 2 weeks of time w. Me working on it after work, saturdays, sundays off....
Old 01-18-2011, 11:31 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Default Transmission swap

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Labor? I dontknow I did it myself. Chilton manual, tools, a garage and abt 2 weeks of time w. Me working on it after work, saturdays, sundays off....
My hat's off to you! I considered doing it myself. But without a lift and a helper, the idea of taking off the X-brace, dropping the exhaust system, removing the C-beam, and so on... with the car on jack stands, I think I may be forced to get it done outside my garage!!

Like you, I enjoy working on my car, doing brakes and bearings, but you don't need a lift for that!

I'd like to have a ballpark cost so that I can compare it to what I get quoted. (Depending on the cost, it may convince me I can do it myself!!)

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:38 PM
P-Air 225q
4th Gear

My hat's off to you! I considered doing it myself. But without a lift and a helper, the idea of taking off the X-brace, dropping the exhaust system, removing the C-beam, and so on... with the car on jack stands, I think I may be forced to get it done outside my garage!!

Like you, I enjoy working on my car, doing brakes and bearings, but you don't need a lift for that!

I'd like to have a ballpark cost so that I can compare it to what I get quoted. (Depending on the cost, it may convince me I can do it myself!!)

Thanks!
I would guess about 6 hours would be about plenty even 4 if the guy is good.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:42 AM
sthamby
Advanced

[QUOTE=helphos;1576550902]My hat's off to you! I considered doing it myself. But without a lift and a helper, the idea of taking off the X-brace, dropping the exhaust system, removing the C-beam, and so on... with the car on jack stands, I think I may be forced to get it done outside my garage!!

I just swapped mine from a black to blue tag. I did it in my garage with the car on jack stands.
I got it up high enough to get a trans. jack under it. Exhaust is very easy to drop. Had no trouble
with the C beam, taking it out or reinstalling. The part that took the longest was getting the
bell housing off. This was done at a casual pace over 2 days. It's really not that bad of a job if you
get the car up high enough. The cost of the trans. jack is a LOT less than what you would pay to
get it done . Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:31 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Default transmission work

[QUOTE=sthamby;1576552906]

I just swapped mine from a black to blue tag. I did it in my garage with the car on jack stands.
I got it up high enough to get a trans. jack under it. Exhaust is very easy to drop. Had no trouble
with the C beam, taking it out or reinstalling. The part that took the longest was getting the
bell housing off. This was done at a casual pace over 2 days. It's really not that bad of a job if you
get the car up high enough. The cost of the trans. jack is a LOT less than what you would pay to
get it done . Good luck with whatever you decide.
Super! Thanks for that encouragement!! I have the blue tag trans sitting in my garage. Was "High enough" at the upper limits of the jack stands?
I'd love to have a smooth shifting trans in time for the spring thaw!!
(and enough money left over to put gas in the tank!)

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If you plan on doing these kind of jobs at home, might I suggest a Kwik lift? It raises the Vette 20" or so which is perfect for using a creeper. By the way, it makes things much safer than jack stands. Cost around $1200. I park my Vette on mine. The first night I had mine I fell asleep under my Vette! It paid for itself when I changed my clutch 7 years ago. Just a thought for you.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:29 PM
sthamby
Advanced

[QUOTE=helphos;1576558379]
Originally Posted by sthamby

Super! Thanks for that encouragement!! I have the blue tag trans sitting in my garage. Was "High enough" at the upper limits of the jack stands?
I'd love to have a smooth shifting trans in time for the spring thaw!!
(and enough money left over to put gas in the tank!)

Thanks!
"High enough" was about 20 inches from the frame to floor. 4 SUV jack stands.
The car was very sturdy. I had to tilt the transmission to the side on the
jack to roll it out from under the car. The jack was $200. I don't remember
how much I gave for the stands. I've pulled the trans in 2 of my cars with
it, so imo it's paid for itself.

The throw out bearing that came in the clutch kit was made in China. I ordered
another and it was "China" too. Looked to be the same quality. The guy I
bought the car from had the clutch changed a couple of years ago. When
I pulled the trans and looked at the bearing - China. I looked for a better
quality one, but no luck. I'm not sure they exist
Old 01-19-2011, 10:31 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by P-Air 225q
I would guess about 6 hours would be about plenty even 4 if the guy is good.
Man, i must have put 3x that in working on it myself.

My girlfriend was not a happy camper either. She helped me 'muscle' around the heavy ZF transmission. Set that on a jack.

Dont make the mistake of thinking the jack will stay in the same position. I woke up the next morning, found the jack completely collapsed, and the ZF transmission lying on the floor next to it.

Luckily it only fell about 2 inches and fell onto the piece of fiberboard I had covering up cracks in my garage floor. It wasnt damaged.

Either im slow, or more careful. Id go bankrupt if i tried to open an autorepair shop!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:58 AM
Kleantouch
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't want to hijack this thread, but if anyone knows where to get an AMERICAN or even German or other throwout bearing besides China, please post- 2000 miles and my TO bearing is squealing like a pig. Gonna try a used one form a forum member in a few weeks.

Sorry, Mod, had to post.....
Old 01-25-2011, 08:12 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

URGENT - does anyone have a part number for the throw out bearing? Black tag version
All I can find is pilot bushings

Get notified of new replies

To is the throwout and pilot bearing the same w black label and blue label zf trans?

Old 01-25-2011, 08:27 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Default Throw out bearing

Originally Posted by jaa1992
URGENT - does anyone have a part number for the throw out bearing? Black tag version
All I can find is pilot bushings
Rockauto has one by Timken:
TIMKEN Part # 614117 1.376 Bore

Cost is $61.

Their nomenclature is 'clutch release bearing.'

Hope this helps
Old 01-25-2011, 09:27 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I found a centerfource N1716 at O'Rileys.
I'm going to swing by the closest store tomorrow to see if I can get it Thursday.
Otherwise it will be next week before my car will be ready
Old 01-26-2011, 09:30 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by jaa1992
I found a centerfource N1716 at O'Rileys.
I'm going to swing by the closest store tomorrow to see if I can get it Thursday.
Otherwise it will be next week before my car will be ready
RAT FARTS -
Rockauto - out of stock could be 181+ days to get one
O'Riely - A mistake on the web site, part is discontinued
Carolina Clutch - It only comes as part of a pressure plate kit, that will be $310 please.

Why can't we find a stinkin release bearing anywhere?????

I would have called ZFdoc but his web site is down

Quick Reply: is the throwout and pilot bearing the same w black label and blue label zf trans?