C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Front main seal- how much more work for cam swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:54 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Front main seal- how much more work for cam swap?

Hi guys. If I have to replace the front main seal on my engine, how much more work is it to replace the camshaft on my car? I have cnc ported lt4 heads which are worthless unless I spin this thing much higher and have more of a cam. What would I need to do to install a cam or have one installed? Thanks!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:41 PM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by qwiketz
Hi guys. If I have to replace the front main seal on my engine, how much more work is it to replace the camshaft on my car? I have cnc ported lt4 heads which are worthless unless I spin this thing much higher and have more of a cam. What would I need to do to install a cam or have one installed? Thanks!
Your post is a little confusing to me, are you saying you have the ported LT4 heads installed now and they were installed without a cam upgrade?
With the timing cover off for the front seals, all you will need to do for a cam install is remove the timing chain, valve covers, rocker arms and intake.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:01 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

All the seals can be replaced with the timing cover in place.

Since your asking about how much more work it takes, figure a couple weekends. If you're experienced with spinning wrenches and tearing into engines, figure an extra 12 hours.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:39 AM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

To change a front seal really only requires pulling the damper and changing the seal. A cam swap is that plus pulling the radiator, condensor, radiator housing, about everything off the front of the engine, and the valve covers, and dist. Then the intake, and valvetrain.

It really is a big job. And depending on the cam you choose, there is a good chance you will also need to change your valve springs.

Last edited by tpi 421 vette; 01-28-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:43 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

FWIW, I think he has a hotcam in there now but I could be wrong. Also, make sure its the front seal and not the waterpump seal, opti seal, or the intake leaking. And if it is the front seal, check the balancer hub to see if its groved. If it is, they make a repair sleeve for it. One more thing, I didnt have to remove the condenser to get the cam out. Good luck!!

Get notified of new replies

To Front main seal- how much more work for cam swap?

Quick Reply: Front main seal- how much more work for cam swap?