C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Racetronix Walbro 255 Fuel Pump Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:25 PM
raiderz
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Racetronix Walbro 255 Fuel Pump Kit

Hello

1986 Coupe
Stock L98
100,000 kms

Just received my new Walbro 255 fuel pump from Racetronix last week.

Looking over the kit they sent me i am wondering about the length of the in-tank wiring harness. Is this harness suppose to be "plug and play' for my car?

The wiring harness is only 5.5 inches in length and although i have not removed my sending unit yet >> Too damn cold still for that-- i am wondering how this harness is going to reach from the fuel pump to the top of sending unit?? Do i have to splice and join some wires to make this harness reach its destination?

Am i missing something--maybe the wiring harness plugs in somewhere other the the top of sending unit?

Anyone with knowledge of this i would appreciate some help.

Is there any pdf instructions available anywhere with diagrams for this pump and kit that i could download?
Please Advise

Thanks
Old 01-29-2011, 09:32 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

I have that pump on my 87. Plug and play. Perfect fit. I think, if you click around on the Racetronix site they have the instructions. You wont really need them. Whole job takes 1/2 hour. Just clean off the top of the tank real well so a bunch of dirt doesnt fall in the hole when you change the pump.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:38 PM
Marv02
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JackDidley
I have that pump on my 87. Plug and play. Perfect fit. I think, if you click around on the Racetronix site they have the instructions. You wont really need them. Whole job takes 1/2 hour. Just clean off the top of the tank real well so a bunch of dirt doesnt fall in the hole when you change the pump.

I did mine a couple months ago very easy.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:01 PM
raiderz
Pro

Thanks for the quick replies. I went poking around the Racetronix forum and could not find directions specifically for my year pump/car.

The fuel pump install job will be pretty straight forward im sure--im just wondering about that short wiring harness.

In the photo >>where exactly does the Black connector on the wiring harness plug into on the fuel sending unit?

Old 01-29-2011, 10:03 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

I just put one in my 89, the wire that comes with the kit is really to adapt the wiring to the new pump,this new pump has a different plug then the stock pump, its not the whole wiring harness. This wire plugs into your harness and then plugs into the new pump..Just make sure you use a plastic slip tie to secure the wires so they don't move around when the gas in the tank hits them. This can cause them to eventually break from moving back and forth..WW

Last edited by WW7; 01-30-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:16 AM
solaris_vii
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yup, it plugs right in. i did an install last month and posted up some pictures on here, just search my profile and maybe they can help you. there are some pictures of the pump installed with the wiring. its a real quality kit youll love it good luck!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:11 AM
raiderz
Pro

Originally Posted by solaris_vii
yup, it plugs right in. i did an install last month and posted up some pictures on here, just search my profile and maybe they can help you. there are some pictures of the pump installed with the wiring. its a real quality kit youll love it good luck!
Ok Thanks. I see from some of your pics that the short wiring harness plugs into a sort of "junction box" not far from the pump.

I hope your 89 sending unit is wired the same as my 86.
I guess i will find out more when i lift it out.

Thanks for the help guys
Old 02-05-2011, 04:07 PM
raiderz
Pro

Thanks for all your help with these questions.
I installed the new pump today--not so cold outside.

The job went off without a hitch. It wasn't the 1/2 hour or 1 hour job as many of you guys can do it in. Took me about 2 hours taking my time. The toughest part for me was removing the 3 fuel hoses from the fitting on the sending unit...Whew.

Anyways i could not have done this job without all the help from the experts on this forum. Hell, i would not even have attempted this job without if i didn't have the guidance from all your write-ups and pictures.
I'm not too mechanically inclined but figured what the heck....worked out well.

Primed the rail--pressure went to 41--held for 10 mins so i fired it up--Started right up--no leaks anywhere. It seemed to smoothen out a slight " rough idle stumble" i had too--we will see...
Old pump would leak down to zero in 5 mins--after reading on here and testing--it was likely the check valve.

I might even attempt an oil change in the spring...LMAO

Thanks again

Great...Informative Forum
Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 PM
solaris_vii
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

glad everything went ok!

Get notified of new replies

To Racetronix Walbro 255 Fuel Pump Kit

Quick Reply: Racetronix Walbro 255 Fuel Pump Kit