C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to wire up a Dakota digital box for your 4.10 gears

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 07:28 PM
93VettePilot
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to wire up a Dakota digital box for your 4.10 gears

I thought I would post the procedure I used to wire up the dakota digital box after going from 3.45 gears to 4.10 in order to correct the speedometer. This sure beats pulling the exhaust, driveshaft and vss to install new vss gears. Specially when the new gears are sold for $120 Gears

First here is a link to summit racing

Summit

Here is a link to dakota's instructions.

Dakota

All this was completed on a 93 Corvette so it is possible that the wiring could be different on different models.

1. I made a 12 inch long 4 wire harness for the dakota box so it would be easy to reach and install.

2. Under the RH side lower dash panel is a 10 pin white connector. At pin H there is a green/white wire. This wire is the signal for the cruise control and speedometer.

3. Cut the green/white wire (it doesn't matter which side of the connector you cut at) and put the side that goes into the firewall into the signal in port on the Dakota SGI5c.

4. Put the other side of the green/white wire into the output one port.

5. Find a suitable power supply wire that is turned on when the ignition is on and hook it to the power in port.

6. Find a good ground wire to to ground the box to.

7. Turn on switch one and turn all other switches off. Congrats you done with wiring.

8. Now you need to calibrate the dakota box to the correction factor that is appropriate for your car. While holding the up switch, turn the key to the run position. This will put you in coarse adjust mode. Then press the down switch one time. This will put you at 15 for the coarse adjust.

9. Turn the car off. Hold the down button and turn the key to the run position. This puts you in fine adjust mode. You will need to hit the down button 9 times to give you a fine adjust setting of 7.

10. The 15-7 setting corresponds to .84 correction which works good on my car with 4.10 gears. If you have different gears then just divide oldgears/newgears to give you the correction factor then look at dakota manual to figure out the coarse and fine settings.

11. Use some velcro and stick it to the heater box under the RH side dash. I put it in such a position that it could be adjusted through the hole in lower rh side dash panel. That way the panel doesn't need to be removed for future changes to tires, gears, etc.

BTW the gears are the best mod I've done yet. Hope this helps somebody. So they don't have search and search like I did.

Last edited by 93VettePilot; 01-31-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:43 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 93VettePilot
. This sure beats pulling the exhaust, driveshaft and vss to install new vss gears.
Don't you like a challange?

Originally Posted by 93VettePilot
Specially when the new gears are sold for $120
Everybody know ZR1 owners are rich so parts are priced accordingly even when they are exactly the same as reg GM parts

Gears for most ratios can be had here for $22
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/sp...__va.htm#Cable

Both gears for my 3.73 swap cost $17 at the dealership
Old 01-31-2011, 10:01 PM
93VettePilot
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rodj
Don't you like a challange?

Everybody know ZR1 owners are rich so parts are priced accordingly even when they are exactly the same as reg GM parts

Gears for most ratios can be had here for $22
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/sp...__va.htm#Cable

Both gears for my 3.73 swap cost $17 at the dealership
Ya roger that. Unfortunately if you go to 4.10 gears then there are no cheap speedo gears for a ZF6.

I did the whole rear end removal myself and I was thinking all I needed to do was tune the ecm for new gears. I was wrong about that. If I had 94 or newer then it would have been a simple reflash.

I'm glad I went to 4.10 gears for the ZF6. It is a much more fun car to drive. It gets out of the hole so much better. Even pulling into the garage is easier.

Very cool that you have a vette in Australia

Last edited by 93VettePilot; 01-31-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To How to wire up a Dakota digital box for your 4.10 gears

Quick Reply: How to wire up a Dakota digital box for your 4.10 gears