C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wierd Vibration - Bearings, Ujoints, clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:07 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Wierd Vibration - Bearings, Ujoints, clutch?

'89 6-speed 147K (just replaced clutch 1K miles ago w/ stage 2 spec)- When I stomp it, its smooth and then around like 3500 to 4K RPM's I get this vibration. It's not too violent but enough to make me let off the throttle. Today I accelerated and then let the gas off at 4K and the vibration happened again when letting it off.

I have suspected either my rear bearings or U-joints are bad and have some play because around 90 I get a mild vibration and a steady wAAaaawAAaaa sound in a pulse. Then if I hit like 120 it seems to be the same vibration I get at lower accel speeds.

The thing is the low speed one is inconsistent, and maybe happens 1 out of ever 4 accelerations and sometimes on 1st, sometimes on 2nd, 3rd, usually not in 4th.

Also I was wondering if holding the shifter into gear would cause something like this (ie, keeping pressure back when in second, forward in 3rd). I have this habit from my dune bug cause it pops out of gear and I find myself doing it on my vette if I'm not paying attention.

Last edited by rithsleeper; 02-17-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:16 AM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
'98 6-speed 147K (just replaced clutch 1K miles ago w/ stage 2 spec)- When I stomp it, its smooth and then around like 3500 to 4K RPM's I get this vibration. It's not too violent but enough to make me let off the throttle. Today I accelerated and then let the gas off at 4K and the vibration happened again when letting it off.

I have suspected either my rear bearings or U-joints are bad and have some play because around 90 I get a mild vibration and a steady wAAaaawAAaaa sound in a pulse. Then if I hit like 120 it seems to be the same vibration I get at lower accel speeds.

The thing is the low speed one is inconsistent, and maybe happens 1 out of ever 4 accelerations and sometimes on 1st, sometimes on 2nd, 3rd, usually not in 4th.

Also I was wondering if holding the shifter into gear would cause something like this (ie, keeping pressure back when in second, forward in 3rd). I have this habit from my dune bug cause it pops out of gear and I find myself doing it on my vette if I'm not paying attention.
Did you have the vibration before you changed the clutch? More often than not, a problem arising after a repair is related to that repair.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:59 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Never happened on acceleration till a few days ago. I've been driving on the new clutch for quite a while (about 5 months). I was driving hard today and it did not reproduce the effect I have been feeling. Might have been me pulling back on the shifter (I tried not to do that).
Old 02-16-2011, 06:06 PM
93VettePilot
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a '98 or '89?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:51 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

sorry,89 miss typed it
Old 02-18-2011, 03:05 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it occur in neutral?
Does it occur in every gear or only a certain gear?
Does it occur with clutch in as well as out?

These should help narrow down things some.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:55 PM
93VettePilot
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes the motor mounts get worn out and can cause exhaust to bang the bottom of the car on accel or decel. The vibration at 120 is most likely driveshaft, or tires out of balance.

Last edited by 93VettePilot; 02-18-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:32 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Dont hold pressure on your shifter while driving if you can help it

Check the piece on the front of the driveshaft, its a round deal I believe is bonded on there and was starting to let loose. had a similar issue on my 89 on hard accel thats what it was.

Get notified of new replies

To Wierd Vibration - Bearings, Ujoints, clutch?

Quick Reply: Wierd Vibration - Bearings, Ujoints, clutch?