C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Grant Steering wheel in a 90-96

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Doughboy2k3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grant Steering wheel in a 90-96

Hey guys,

I am looking to install a Grant corsa #1030 in my 90.
I looked for a adapter for my year and no deal. Should I use the adapter for a 89?
I think the biggest reason they dont make a adapter is because of the airbag. Thats just a guess.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

When I installed a Momo wheel on my 92 LTB motorsports had everything I needed for the install. Including good tech support/service.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:53 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I put a grant wheel on my 92 with no trouble. If I remember correctly I just used the standard GM non-airbag adapter and it fit but was indexed one spline off of straight up. Can't remember how I worked it out but it was not a problem. Now I have a nice wheel that looks proper in a sports car.

Matt
Old 02-13-2011, 03:40 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 02-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Doughboy2k3
Pro

I am going to try the billet adapter for a 89. I will post up some pics on how it turned out when I get it done. Hopefully it will work. Thanks
Old 03-03-2011, 05:04 AM
Doughboy2k3
Pro

For anyone who wants to install a grant wheel in a 90+ Grant adapter # 5196 works perfect.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:35 AM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Doughboy2k3
For anyone who wants to install a grant wheel in a 90+ Grant adapter # 5196 works perfect.
I am interested in gaining a little legroom by going to a smaller diameter wheel, which wheel did you use? Of particular interest, what did you wind up with for the "height" of the rim from the top of the column, did the wheel wind up closer to the driver, or farther away? How does the visibility of the dash instruments etc compare with the stock wheel? I think the column on my '92 is the same as yours.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:04 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

any pics of the installs?
Old 03-09-2011, 01:26 AM
Doughboy2k3
Pro

Default Here it is.

Originally Posted by sailorsteve
I am interested in gaining a little legroom by going to a smaller diameter wheel, which wheel did you use? Of particular interest, what did you wind up with for the "height" of the rim from the top of the column, did the wheel wind up closer to the driver, or farther away? How does the visibility of the dash instruments etc compare with the stock wheel? I think the column on my '92 is the same as yours.
Sorry it took so long for the reply.
I ended up using a Grant 1030 wheel.

With the wheel at a level tilt the top of the wheel sit approximately 3/4" higher then the dash.

It sits approximately 1" further forward then the stock wheel (which is nice).

The only downside to the wheel sitting forward more is you are unable to activate your high beams due to the turn signal lever hitting the wheel.
I removed my cruise and I do not have wipers on my car. I just removed the lever and stripped it down to just the bar that the lever is mounted to.

I think you may be able to remove the lever and put a slight bend at the base, the bar is hardened so it may break. I like it with just the bar. I think it looks good. A bit of shrink wrap and the knurled end kicks it up a notch.

Just the adapter.

Wheel on.

View of gauge's from head postion, I am 6'0".

Picture of the bar installed

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by Doughboy2k3; 03-09-2011 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:02 AM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great. You can adjust the high beam lever under the dash on the column. There is a little slack in the set up. If you have an FSM, I believe there are pictures in there to show you where the high beam rid is.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:08 AM
tombrammer
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Very nice!! thanks for the post. I have wanted to do this for a long time but was afraid of the air bag, I'm going to try it now. What, if anything did you have to consider when dealing with the air bag?
I see you have the short throw shifter too, is it the Hurst? I did that this winter and really like it.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,749 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by tombrammer
Very nice!! thanks for the post. I have wanted to do this for a long time but was afraid of the air bag, I'm going to try it now. What, if anything did you have to consider when dealing with the air bag?
I see you have the short throw shifter too, is it the Hurst? I did that this winter and really like it.
I put a quick release hub on my '90. You shouldnt have to worry about the airbag, it is looking for a signal from an accelerometer saying there was an impact. Removing it should not make it go off, but dont put your face in front of it just in case.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Doughboy2k3
Pro

Originally Posted by tombrammer
Remove the negative battery cable wait 10 minutes, the airbag fuse, and disconnect the yellow line under the drivers side knee bolster. I ended up cutting the line to pull it out of the steering column. You should be good after that. That is per the FSM. They are pretty stable, don't point it at yourself and store it upwards.

The shifter is a ZFdoc short throw. I just had Bill rebuild my trans a few months back and he gave me the shifter as a bonus. I like it alot. If you have any questions let me know.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:00 PM
tombrammer
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Remove the negative battery cable wait 10 minutes, the airbag fuse, and disconnect the yellow line under the drivers side knee bolster. I ended up cutting the line to pull it out of the steering column. You should be good after that. That is per the FSM. They are pretty stable, don't point it at yourself and store it upwards.
Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Grant Steering wheel in a 90-96

Quick Reply: Grant Steering wheel in a 90-96