C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

('84-'90) If you were to hybrid your C4's suspension, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 05:17 AM
ButINeededThatName
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ('84-'90) If you were to hybrid your C4's suspension, what would you do?

So I'm currently in the process of preparing to install the FX3 Selective Ride Control system into my '86. I've already sourced the controller, selector switch and ABS / FX3 harness from an '89 (thankfully they used the same ABS pump and controller, so the connections are the same), and will be installing everything over the winter. Recently though, I've started thinking of doing more to the suspension than just upgrading to FX3, however before I get into that, I just want to put a little disclaimer that my knowledge of a vehicles suspension and it's various components doesn't really go beyond "basic" and that any observations or assumptions I make are made from the data I have and what knowledge I have.

Alright, so in my quest to see what else I can improve along with the switchover to FX3, I came across a few interesting points looking at this chart:

-C4's from '85 to '87 seemingly had the "softest" suspension, with the spring rating of my Z51 equipped '86 being comparable to an '84 with stock suspension (66.5N/mm vs 63.5N/mm)

-First year C4's had the highest rear spring rate of any of the C4's, with standard one's being rated at 72.0N/mm and those equipped with Z51 being rated at 82.5N/mm

-C4's after '84 all had rear spring ratings of either 33.9N/mm or 57.2N/mm if equipped with Z51

-C4's from '88-'90 had the highest front spring rate, with standard one's being rated at 93.1N/mm and Z51 equipped one's being rated at 115.5N/mm

-Both the front and rear anti-roll bars had their diameter increased and decreased alongside spring rate changes (EG, the '85-'87 C4's had the size of their bars increased alongside the spring rate decrease)

So, with those observations listed, ​​​​it seems like I have three options:

- Go with the front springs from an '88-'90 Z51, the rear springs from an '84 Z51 to get the "stiffest" suspension possible, though this may end up making an uncomfortable driving experience, even with SRC set to "Touring"

- Go with the same springs that were used in the '88-'90 FX3 equipped cars, which seems like the "safe" option (though I read these were supposed to come packaged alongside the higher rated Z51 springs, but never did)

- Leave the springs unchanged and pair the FX3 shocks with the softer suspension of the '85-'87 C4's, which seems like the "safer" option, although I might not get the most out of SRC going this route.

So, my question is this: Which of these options would you choose if you were installing FX3 onto your car and why? Or alternatively, would you do something different than what I've listed? Ideally I'd like to get the most out of FX3 and SRC, as well as my suspension as a whole, but not get thrashed about if I hit a small bump in the road.

Last edited by ButINeededThatName; 08-07-2020 at 05:19 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:34 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

1st the suspension catagories are 84-87 and 88-96. The early cars suspension is similar but little is interchangeable with the later car. The early cars are firm. Chevrolet received numerous ride complaints during the long 84 production run.. For 85 the handling concept went from high rate springs and light stabilizer bars to medium springs and larger bars. The "softer" springs allow better ride while the larger bars would increase cornering characteristics. Softer ride came with the LT1. Some believe the 87 Z51 is the best auto x. The early cars front suspension has a fast camber curve that was eliminated in 88-96 with " zero scrub" front suspension. I suspect excessive tire wear may have been the reason. The 84 was designed for 1g lateral acceleration, that came at the cost of a abrasive ride. There are several recent threads related to suspension modifications of both early and late cars you might search them.

Quick Reply: ('84-'90) If you were to hybrid your C4's suspension, what would you do?