C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ball joint service tool good for U joint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:17 AM
bballarin
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ball joint service tool good for U joint?

Hi there,

I am planning to buy one of this tools:

http://www.astrotools.com/default.aspx?toolsnum=7865&

Do they have enough clearance to service Corvette C4 Half shaft U joint?

I am overseas and can't find one around to check so I have to guess and make international order.

By the way I just replaced both rear hubs (left one definitely had play) but I can still hear noise (at wheels revs frequency like if someting was rubbing) from rear left, only on heavy engin load (when I step on the gas). Also I can hear a clunk noise from rear left when parked, engine idling, and shifting from OD to R and back. So I am suspecting U joints. I grabbed the left half shaft and turned it by hand and it seems I have a little play on wheel side U joint.

My vise is probably not large enough to press the U joint out of the half shaft and since I have to service the front lower ball joint anyway, I would rather buy the tool above, rather than a larger vise, especially if the tool can do both the ball joint and the U joint. i have a doubt since the aluminium half shaft have a serious diameter and if I have to add a socket to press the U joint bearing cap out, I am wondering if the C clamp is large enough to hold both half shaft and the socket.

As anyone used a regular size ball joint C clamp to press out a half shaft U joint?

Any tip very welcome.

Cheers,

Bruno
Old 01-23-2011, 10:19 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not sure if using a ball joint press on a C4 rear half shaft to remove the U- joints is a good idea or not.

I havent ever tried it that way.

Be better off finding a bigger vise I think to get the job done right.

Find a used "MILLRIGHT" style vise. Probably find such a vise for $50 dollars or less.

You will always have that heavy duty vise around for future repair and fabrication tasks then too.

BR
Old 01-23-2011, 10:38 AM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

You can clamp that tool in the vise to make it easier. On aliumn. shafts I always use a wrench instead of power tools to tighten the the press.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:34 AM
M. Schumacher
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. I used one from Harbor Freight tools. Clamped it in the vise as already suggested.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:14 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've used a ball joint press to replace ujoints on the halfshafts. You can usually rent those ball joint presses from the auto parts stores. But using a vice is a better way to press out/in ujoints as the ball joint press likes to move around sometimes when tightening.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:19 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by M. Schumacher
Yeah. I used one from Harbor Freight tools. Clamped it in the vise as already suggested.
I used that press for soo many different bushings and stuff whaen I did the suspension
Old 03-15-2011, 11:23 AM
bballarin
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the feedback. I received my ball joint service tool and did both the rear half shaft U joints and the front lower ball joints. Pictures here (but french text sorry):

http://www.corvettepassion.com/t1011...u-joint-cardan

http://www.corvettepassion.com/t1036...ule-inferieure

Get notified of new replies

To Ball joint service tool good for U joint?

Quick Reply: Ball joint service tool good for U joint?