C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Replacing the L98 with an LSX ... My swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 07:07 PM
miker2
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

some guys have turned the fuel rails around to use the current fuel line location on the vette.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:42 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by miker2
some guys have turned the fuel rails around to use the current fuel line location on the vette.
That is a good idea consider it done.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:05 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

I really like these threads. I wil be watching, probably not posting but watching. You seem committed to success.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:21 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JackDidley
I really like these threads. I wil be watching, probably not posting but watching. You seem committed to success.
Thanks, I'm ready to drive this thing the sooner the better.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:20 AM
twin540
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great work
Old 04-01-2011, 10:32 PM
rwisk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a f body pan and a reversed fuel rail with inlet and return rail from 97-98 vette or use a single inlet and return at fuel filter
Old 04-02-2011, 08:08 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

I worked on the wiring all afternoon. The F-body wiring harness is designed to put the PCM in the pass side.I need to mount mine on the drivers side on top of the battery. My plan is to take the harness apart sensor by sensor following the wires to the PCM then labeling the pin location. All the wires on the drivers side are going to be proximately 10 inches too long. Those will be cut down and new terminals will be crimped on then they will be reconnected. The passengers side I will disconnect reroute and reconnect they should be perfect. In the processes of dis-assembly I will omit any sensor or wire I will not need. I will also hunt down the 12V commons.
The grounds I will be leaving alone so far they will ground in their original locations on the block.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:17 PM
mattwalker87
Instructor

Originally Posted by rwisk
I used a f body pan and a reversed fuel rail with inlet and return rail from 97-98 vette or use a single inlet and return at fuel filter
same i used a 02 fbody pan, manifolds, and fuel rail, just flipped the rail around. pass side inlet now.

looking good! anxious to see how it turns out, im running the same air cleaner setup aswell.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:54 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mattwalker87
same i used a 02 fbody pan, manifolds, and fuel rail, just flipped the rail around. pass side inlet now.

looking good! anxious to see how it turns out, im running the same air cleaner setup aswell.

Looks good in there. I just ordered a High mount braked for a sanden type A/C compressor. What did you do a bout the lines? How did your A/C work? Is it stand alone or wired into the LS1 PCM.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,722 Likes on 931 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by ch@0s
I worked on the wiring all afternoon. The F-body wiring harness is designed to put the PCM in the pass side.I need to mount mine on the drivers side on top of the battery. My plan is to take the harness apart sensor by sensor following the wires to the PCM then labeling the pin location. All the wires on the drivers side are going to be proximately 10 inches too long. Those will be cut down and new terminals will be crimped on then they will be reconnected. The passengers side I will disconnect reroute and reconnect they should be perfect. In the processes of dis-assembly I will omit any sensor or wire I will not need. I will also hunt down the 12V commons.
The grounds I will be leaving alone so far they will ground in their original locations on the block.

Good Luck!! When youre done wanna come over and get take all the things out of my harness Im not using anymore?
Old 04-02-2011, 09:28 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kubs
Good Luck!! When youre done wanna come over and get take all the things out of my harness Im not using anymore?
There is nothing more I would like to do than get my hands on your harness.
All joking aside it may seem hard but if you take your time and do your homework it's just another job.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:59 PM
mattwalker87
Instructor

my ac is still unfinished, but i made all the accessories mounts and such to mount the stock compressor in a stock location, but now the lines are short by about two inches, as far as the wiring, its just uses the stock wiring, and the lsx pcm only requires a signal wire to bump up the idle as it will die when the compressor kicks on at stop lights and such. but again, i cannot verify if mine works yet.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:35 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

my ac is still unfinished, but i made all the accessories mounts and such to mount the stock compressor in a stock location, but now the lines are short by about two inches, as far as the wiring, its just uses the stock wiring, and the lsx pcm only requires a signal wire to bump up the idle as it will die when the compressor kicks on at stop lights and such. but again, i cannot verify if mine works yet.
Ok thanks. This is going to be the hardest part of the puzzle for me.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:42 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

4L60E to 700R4 tail shaft adapter came in.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Ruby6spd
Melting Slicks

Awesome project -- that picture just gave me a seizure though. I went though a similiar exercise with my M3 race car when I "de-wired" it this winter. I took out all wiring that wasn't need for some weight savings and the way bmw runs their looms all of individual wires are bundled with no seperation for where they are going so you have to take all of it apart back to the main connectors and then just put back when you need.

Can't wait to see it dropped in the car
Old 04-05-2011, 12:50 PM
MyFirst90coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Might just be the pic but damn that looks scary. Sounds like you've got it under control though.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:08 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MyFirst90coupe

Might just be the pic but damn that looks scary. Sounds like you've got it under control though.
It looks scary but exept for the 12V commons and the grounds they are all bundled together. I need to do the other side and will start this evening.
I could have avoided all this if i just found a place to put the PCM on the other side.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing the L98 with an LSX ... My swap

Old 04-05-2011, 03:56 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

....... What is the air cleaner off of ??? Any clearance issues in the '87 ??
Old 04-05-2011, 06:10 PM
MyFirst90coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks scary but exept for the 12V commons and the grounds they are all bundled together. I need to do the other side and will start this evening.
I could have avoided all this if i just found a place to put the PCM on the other side.
Well, if you man up and get rid of the HVAC system...Just kidding, I wouldn't get rid of it either. Especially living where you live.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:16 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MyFirst90coupe
Well, if you man up and get rid of the HVAC system...Just kidding, I wouldn't get rid of it either. Especially living where you live.
I'm too old to be hot. I get road rage.
I would have to get a custom plate that said "GTBKLSRG"
I think that's one too many letters.

Quick Reply: Replacing the L98 with an LSX ... My swap