C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Early-Late Rear Brake Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Default C4 Early-Late Rear Brake Options

Hello, just planing out a D44 Rear Suspension install on my C3 Corvette. Its been done before. My Question is concerning Aftermarket Brakes. I would prefer to use the Early 1" narrower Rear with Late Wheels even if I use Wheel Spacers so that I can Fine Tune with out Cutting the Wheels. ( I'm useing 89 ZR-1 Wheels) I see Wilwood dosn't offer a Brake Kit untill the Late C4. Is that the same with others? I know about J55 and C5 conversions. Whats going on with the Aftermarket?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:00 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
Hello, just planing out a D44 Rear Suspension install on my C3 Corvette. Its been done before. My Question is concerning Aftermarket Brakes. I would prefer to use the Early 1" narrower Rear with Late Wheels even if I use Wheel Spacers so that I can Fine Tune with out Cutting the Wheels. ( I'm useing 89 ZR-1 Wheels) I see Wilwood dosn't offer a Brake Kit untill the Late C4. Is that the same with others? I know about J55 and C5 conversions. Whats going on with the Aftermarket?
Aftermarket seems to be streamlining.
Where you once had seemingly hundreds or thousands of options,
You are narrowed down to a dozen or so.
So to speak.
Recession and downsizing product lines everywhere to stay in business long term.
Thats the aftermarkets goal today.

What does Baer Brakes offer for You?

I am putting together a 1970 Pontiac 455 for pump gas street use.
Only American made forged rods for it are made by Crower.
The rest are China made.
And I hate China Parts.
I waited over 2 months to get my custom Pontiac V8 Crower American made connecting rods.
Finally shipped off today.
**** on China.

Brian
Old 03-21-2011, 11:39 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

A friend of mine did the batwing conversion on his 79. He had a long thread on the C3 forum on his mod. It was not a simple task. I believe he used Wilwood brakes. He also replaced the trailing arms and there was a fair amount of fabrication and welding involved to adapt the batwing. His name is Bee Jay if that helps you locate the thread.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:07 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I would prefer to use the Early 1" narrower Rear with Late Wheels Whats going on with the Aftermarket?
Supply and demand
The complication of the internal park brake combined with only three years production means limited interest from aftermarket suppliers
Old 03-22-2011, 12:12 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by cumbercr
A friend of mine did the batwing conversion on his 79. He had a long thread on the C3 forum on his mod. It was not a simple task. I believe he used Wilwood brakes. He also replaced the trailing arms and there was a fair amount of fabrication and welding involved to adapt the batwing. His name is Bee Jay if that helps you locate the thread.
Yes I have seen His Car in the C3 Forum. He adapted the Aluminum Batwing to His Iron C3 Rear Pumpkin. I assume He used the 80'-82' Batwing. My Car is a 80' so I allready have it. I'm looking to go to the C4 Dana 44 as its stronger and offers me some other advantages to. They are both Dana 44's, however they share very few Parts.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:26 AM
VetteVet86
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Conversions

You might want to check out this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...nd-pics-3.html

The Street Shop, Inc. is apparently offering parts to install C5, C6 and C6 Z06 rear calipers with full parking brake functionality.

Here's their website:

http://www.streetshopinc.com/

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Early-Late Rear Brake Options

Quick Reply: C4 Early-Late Rear Brake Options