C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

The dreaded opti??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 03:00 PM
94CorvetteLT1
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The dreaded opti??

I know this is somewhat of a dreaded subject but I'm just curious to what you guys think.
Here we g0... I purchased a 94 corvette coupe which appears to be stock for the most part under the hood. When I bought this car the seller told me it had some issues and a code42... hmm. The car would start. but yet if you didnt feather the gas it would die. After three times of a restart (usually)... then it would idle on it's own. SES light was on. oh and it is an automatic... when you put it any gear... the car bucked... was underpowered... but would stay running. when you shut it off... same thing all over again when you tried to restart it. I
trailered the car home. Stored it in my brothers garage for about a week and decided to bring it home. Hard start again had to feather the gas till it ran for about 5 minutes then would idle. I must tell you if all LT1 engines ran like this I dont think any of us would own one.

I stopped off at the nearest town and filled the car up with premium gas... ok was a mighty tall expensive hope this would help. It didnt. but I did manage to get the car home and in the garage. my next trip out to the garage about a week later and guess what?... Wouldnt start at all. I researched code 42 and had it in my mind ignition control module. Had it tested at auto zone.. tested ok... Now What? Finally after sitting
thru the winter months and all the reading I decide to take it to a mechanic... warm weather is right around the corner... I wanna get this thing running. His scanner read a code 36 fuel pump pressure read 45lbs at fuel rail... He bypassed the the fuel system on the car set up his own fuel cell knowing the car was getting fuel to the cylinders... still wouldnt start...
Plugs were gas fouled... New plugs installed... still wouldnt run.. and oh I forgot to mention.. backfiring thru the intake from time to time. Hooked his timing light up and found out the opti was firing but wasnt consistent. This car has a fairly new MSD opti on it. Mechanic called MSD and told the teq what he had found... and now my opti is being looked at by MSD. weep hole on water pump was dry when removed from car. so now were waiting on the return of hopefully an opti that will have consistent firing.

Now my question is... Do You think were on the right track with the opti or have I given enuff information for you to think... um d00d that isnt the only problem you got... But I will add also all checks on the electrical system from ecm to opti checked per spec.

Any other ideas I would totally appreciate and thanks for taking your time to read my short mini novel... lol Vic
Old 03-23-2011, 07:18 PM
ChrisLT1conv
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to advance auto parts. You can get a complete --new-- (not reman) opti for about 270 bucks. this is the opti and the cap.

Quick Reply: The dreaded opti??