C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lemme's 350 87 12 sec (350hp) build - Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 12:02 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemme
I hope it kills cockroaches too as I swept most of it down the soakwell.
Now Steve,............

You are taking bad attitude lessons from me.

LOL

You are twisted like me and others here on C4 at times.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Lemme
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl
Now Steve,............

You are taking bad attitude lessons from me.

LOL

You are twisted like me and others here on C4 at times.
Thanks for the tip. I will wash it tomorrow to ensure our dog doesn't start licking it.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:16 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the tip. I will wash it tomorrow to ensure our dog doesn't start licking it.

Dang Steve>>>>>>> I hope so.

You have to Love your Dog along with the wife & kids too.

If your dog ever drinks antifreeze, get a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and pour it down his/her mouth forcefully.

Let them choke on it.

They will instantly foam at the mouth and upchuck every last bit of anti-freeze they ingested.

But the poison is already in their bloodstream.

You have to act very fast and get them to a Veterinarian.
You only bought another 20 minutes of Gods time.

You would be surprised how well you can pass cars, semi trucks, drive though the emergency lanes to get their as quick as you can over 100.

Brian R.

Last edited by 87 vette 81 big girl; 04-23-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:18 PM
Lemme
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Progress Report #3 - Total wrench time 5 hours

Had to remove spark plugs, starter motor, drop the exhaust and long tube headers to get at the head bolts. Also had to remove the verts cross brace. - 3 hours

Last edited by Lemme; 04-24-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:25 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Had to remove spark plugs, drop the exhaust and long tube headers to get at the head bolts. Also had to remove the verts cross brace. - 3 hours
What about Easter Steve?

Or was that yesterday for You ?
Old 04-24-2011, 12:13 AM
Lemme
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl
What about Easter Steve?

Or was that yesterday for You ?
Are you suggesting I am not allowed to work on my car at Easter? Happy Easter BTW.

I am struggling with removing the passenger side head that has a bolt from the a/c bracket to the head.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:03 AM
Lemme
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Progress Report #4 - Total Wrench Time 9 hours

128 Heads are off the vehicle. Note dished pistons and valve relief. Had to remove alternator, AIR Delete pulley, belt, a/c bracket and pushrods. 4 hours. Half the time was wasted trying to figure out how to get them off with all the obstacles around them.

Last edited by Lemme; 04-24-2011 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Lemme
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Progress Report #5 - Harmonic balancer - total wrench time 11 hours

Now with Easter over and the end of the drag racing season here in Western Australia I can focus on my corvette winter project again.

Took me 2 hours to take the main pulley and harmonic balancer off. Had to disconnect power steering line to get the harmonic balancer removal tool in place. Also had to partly reinstall one of the heads to act as an engine brace (the old rope trick through the spark plug hole) for pulley and balancer removal.

Still a lot of stuff to remove to get to the timing cover. Also the radiator will have to come out before I can get the cam out.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Dr.Huxtable
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good! what kind of heads were on the car?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:51 AM
Lemme
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Dr.Huxtable
Looking good! what kind of heads were on the car?
I presume they are the stock aluminium 128s. I had them serviced less than a year ago. They were shaved as part of the servicing so are higher compression than the usual 9.5:1 causing some pinging. Pinging was resolved by using the higher octane pump gas and retarding the timing a bit by putting another chip in.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:10 PM
jmrl98
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job lemme - I hear ya about those heads & headers. My EM longtubes will not drop far enough (or move up enough) for me to get at some bolts for reinstall, but moved enough to take them out. Now I may be loosening them from the collector this weekend, and I'm not looking forward to that. This PITA had better be worth it.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Lemme
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by jmrl98
Nice job lemme - I hear ya about those heads & headers. My EM longtubes will not drop far enough (or move up enough) for me to get at some bolts for reinstall, but moved enough to take them out. Now I may be loosening them from the collector this weekend, and I'm not looking forward to that. This PITA had better be worth it.
I am finding that I am removing so many parts that I have to have a well organised storage system to ensure that I know which parts go where on the reinstall. Especially the bolts. Yesterday I went through all the parts and started separating out parts into those that I still need for the reinstall and those that I don't. I have to overcome the fear that maybe I will never get all this back together and working again.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:38 AM
jmrl98
Drifting

Yep, I'm with ya there. I bagged and sticky noted all the bolts, and ID taped many vacuum lines. I did take some pics too. But the longer you're away from it, the more you start to worry about it. Having taken the intake off more times than I can remeember over the years somewhat eases the stress for me, but this is my first head experience, so it's worrisome. Thank God for all the experience here, that's for sure! Keep up the good work.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Lemme
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Progress Report #6 - Water Pump Removal - total wrench time 12 hours

I have managed to remove the water pump to now reveal the timing cover. Water pump bolts are very awkward to get at and had to work around the a/c compressor and fuel lines to eventually free it.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Lemme
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Progress Report #7 - Timing cover and chain removal: Total wrench time 13 hours

Removed the timing cover, made sure the 2 dots on the cogs were adjacent each other and removed the chain and cam cog. The front crossbrace looks like it could impede the removal of the cam.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:48 AM
Lemme
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Progress Report #8: Remove Lifters - Total wrench time 13.5 hrs

After removing the lifter brace in the valley which is secured by 2 x 1/2 inch headed bolts I was able to remove each lifter by hand and store them in a way that they will go back in the same place on the re-install.

The 87 convertible has an extra thick rectangular support member (when compared to the coupe) that will impede the removal of the cam. The engine mounts will have to be loosened and the motor jacked up an inch for cam removal and reinstallation.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:53 PM
jmrl98
Drifting

I dodged a bullett with my 85 in not having to raise the motor. But through searching I did see one post about the 87 and cam removal - he took the drivers side mount out, and loosened the pass side. That came stock with a double roller timing chain? Are you replacing with a new cam, or just checking lobe wear? I had a buddy help me with my driver's side head - we had to keep lifting/maneuvering the long tubes every which way. I also had to modify my puller for the crank sprocket removal regarding the cross member (I put on a double roller T C).

Get notified of new replies

To Lemme's 350 87 12 sec (350hp) build - Stage 1

Old 05-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Lemme
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by jmrl98
I dodged a bullett with my 85 in not having to raise the motor. But through searching I did see one post about the 87 and cam removal - he took the drivers side mount out, and loosened the pass side. That came stock with a double roller timing chain? Are you replacing with a new cam, or just checking lobe wear? I had a buddy help me with my driver's side head - we had to keep lifting/maneuvering the long tubes every which way. I also had to modify my puller for the crank sprocket removal regarding the cross member (I put on a double roller T C).
I am replacing the cam and putting in a double row timing chain. The existing timing chain and sprockets are only single row.

Will have another go at this later this week.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a 91 coupe and I had to raise the motor about a half an inch. Youd be surprised how much you remember when you have to. I have had many of the OH **** moments in the garage when you see a bare engine block with pistons and a pile of parts you took off and a pile of parts to put on. It gets stressful but you will be fine.

I do not know what HP I will gain, but it should be around or above 350 when its all tuned in.

I looked at the list of your parts and we will have a similar setup. What are the specs of your cam?

superram and base, 1.6 RR, AFR Heads (mine are smaller cc's but ported by TPIS), LPE 219 cam, 58mm TB, etc etc. Its a blast to drive and its not even close yet.

Mike

Last edited by Deepa; 05-02-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:50 AM
Lemme
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Deepa
I have a 91 coupe and I had to raise the motor about a half an inch. Youd be surprised how much you remember when you have to. I have had many of the OH **** moments in the garage when you see a bare engine block with pistons and a pile of parts you took off and a pile of parts to put on. It gets stressful but you will be fine.

I do not know what HP I will gain, but it should be around or above 350 when its all tuned in.

I looked at the list of your parts and we will have a similar setup. What are the specs of your cam?

superram and base, 1.6 RR, AFR Heads (mine are smaller cc's but ported by TPIS), LPE 219 cam, 58mm TB, etc etc. Its a blast to drive and its not even close yet.

Mike
I don't feel so bad knowing even the coupe has an issue with that crossmember as far as cam removal goes.

The cam specs are:

Comp cams 268xfi durn @ 0.05" 218/224, lift 0.57/0.565 @1.6/1 RR, lsa 113 deg. Probably very similar to the LPE219 you have.

Quick Reply: Lemme's 350 87 12 sec (350hp) build - Stage 1