C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can a optispark vacuum harness be made with parts from local autoparts store?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:12 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Can a optispark vacuum harness be made with parts from local autoparts store?

I need a vacuum harness to complete my conversion from a nonvented optispark to a vented opti. On ebay these vacuum harness for the vented optispark are going for $70+ so I decided to build my own optispark vacuum harness and save some money, can this be done with parts from my local autoparts store? And if so what parts will I need to purchase or i'm better off just paying the $70?
Old 04-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Snipescastle2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vacuum harness

I happen to have the check valves and some of the hose from a vented Opti spark off of a 1995 Z28 Camaro, $20.00 shipped...sound better?
Let me know.
Ben Smith
Old 04-25-2011, 12:43 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

you not only can make a vacumn harness...you can make a better harness...using better quality hose, and run it in a better, more protected route than the factory. good luck
Old 04-25-2011, 01:09 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

as I best recall the small hose is a 1/8 inch vacumn hose that runs from the opti to a fitting in the air intake tube; this brings fresh air into the opti.

the vacumn part is the large hose that runs off the opti to the intake manifold; I used 5/16ths inch fuel line and ran it all the way to the intake manifold before necking it down to the small hose that actually connects to the intake manifold...the factory does just the oposite; it uses a short piece of 5/16ths hose and 1/8th hose for the remainder.

regardless, the small hose requires a check valve just before the intake manifold; I found one of these in the generic section of all the little odd and assorted clips, fittings, and other parts.

that left only a filter to put in the 5/16th hose; a very small generic metal gas filter with 5/16th inch barbs proved ideal.

to transistion from the 5/16 th hose to the 1/8 hose only required a generic plastic vacumn line adapter.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:25 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Default where can i purchase the inline air filter and vacuum defuser?

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
as I best recall the small hose is a 1/8 inch vacumn hose that runs from the opti to a fitting in the air intake tube; this brings fresh air into the opti.

the vacumn part is the large hose that runs off the opti to the intake manifold; I used 5/16ths inch fuel line and ran it all the way to the intake manifold before necking it down to the small hose that actually connects to the intake manifold...the factory does just the oposite; it uses a short piece of 5/16ths hose and 1/8th hose for the remainder.

regardless, the small hose requires a check valve just before the intake manifold; I found one of these in the generic section of all the little odd and assorted clips, fittings, and other parts.

that left only a filter to put in the 5/16th hose; a very small generic metal gas filter with 5/16th inch barbs proved ideal.

to transistion from the 5/16 th hose to the 1/8 hose only required a generic plastic vacumn line adapter.
i need to know where i can purchase these 2 items"check valve + inline airfilter" that are attached to the optispark to intake manifold vacuum line
Old 04-25-2011, 12:40 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by boonie c4
i need to know where i can purchase these 2 items"check valve + inline airfilter" that are attached to the optispark to intake manifold vacuum line
got everything at O'Reilly's / Kragen; believe the check valve is a generic Dorman product from the A.C. section; the small generic fuel filter I used was just hanging on the rack with the other filters
Old 06-19-2018, 01:58 PM
compyelc4
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But doesn't that straight manifold vacuum have to be reduced. GM uses a filter / reducer which I believe the hole is reduced to a diameter smaller than a very very small sewing needle. In this way the ECM does not read a larger than normal manifold vacuum leak
Old 06-19-2018, 02:37 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 563 Posts

I bet the optidoctor would sell a harness cheap.Dan
Old 06-19-2018, 02:57 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,281 Likes on 865 Posts

Got mine with my Petris opti

https://petrisenterprises.com/produc...vacuum-harness

Last edited by ChumpVette; 06-19-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:08 PM
64Scout
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by compyelc4
But doesn't that straight manifold vacuum have to be reduced. GM uses a filter / reducer which I believe the hole is reduced to a diameter smaller than a very very small sewing needle. In this way the ECM does not read a larger than normal manifold vacuum leak
As long as it's not too big the iac can compensate.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:29 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 64Scout
As long as it's not too big the iac can compensate.
I don't think "a diameter smaller than a very very small sewing needle " would be sufficient; there has to be sufficient flow to actually ventilate the Opti body; In any case the harness I fabbed up worked fine; the smallest i.d. was the i.d. of the plastic 1/8th inch hose barb (pretty small); there was no driveability or idle issues and the car passed California smog without a problem .

And yes that Petris piece is nice

Last edited by mtwoolford; 06-19-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:44 PM
compyelc4
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
I don't think "a diameter smaller than a very very small sewing needle " would be sufficient; there has to be sufficient flow to actually ventilate the Opti body; In any case the harness I fabbed up worked fine; the smallest i.d. was the i.d. of the plastic 1/8th inch hose barb (pretty small); there was no driveability or idle issues and the car passed California smog without a problem .

And yes that Petris piece is nice
Well that's quite a bit larger diameter than the pin hole in my GM filter / restrictor disc. However, I will remove that and see if I get good results like you have. I did briefly Hook Up full manifold vacuum to the Opti and received an almost immediate 22 pounds per square inch at the fresh air intake in front of the MAF
Old 06-22-2018, 01:38 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Well that's quite a bit larger diameter than the pin hole in my GM filter / restrictor disc. However, I will remove that and see if I get good results like you have. I did briefly Hook Up full manifold vacuum to the Opti and received an almost immediate 22 pounds per square inch at the fresh air intake in front of the MAF
good luck, I'd be interested in hearing about your results; for what its worth, on the earlier non vented OPTIs a fix, even available in kit form, was to glue in small 90 degree fittings in the drain holes and use small tubing to lead it into the intake manifold. Note that there was no provision for venting air into the OPTI, so what it accomplished other than pulling oil into the OPTI past the timing chain cover seal, is open to speculation. But the initial intention of any of these systems was to remove moisture, hence the early OPTIs with "drain holes"; I can attest that a late vented OPTI does a very good job of removing moisture; plus an side benefit is the removal of electrically induced ozone from within the OPTI; altogether a pretty good system.

Get notified of new replies

To Can a optispark vacuum harness be made with parts from local autoparts store?

Quick Reply: Can a optispark vacuum harness be made with parts from local autoparts store?