Dura-Seal worked for me!!! - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C4 Tech/Performance
L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dura-Seal worked for me!!!

Old 05-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Bubba91
CF Senior Member

Default Dura-Seal worked for me!!!

I had a blown head gasket and tried Dura-seal with "bated breath", but it worked. Who knows how long it will hold, but I haven't been able to drive my car for about 2 months now.
It took a few heat cycles (per instructions), but it is not overheating anymore. Before using it I couldn't even make it around the block before it would overheat. I couldn't be happier
Here is my original thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...dura-seal.html
Bubba91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
383vett
CF Senior Member

Cool!
383vett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
F22
CF Senior Member

Glad it worked out! I was one of the guys who said 'go for it'. What could you lose? So far, so good!
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
kenv
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work

Hope it holds.
kenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
86PACER
CF Senior Member

I fixed a definate blown head gasket with an $80 V6 dose of Steel Seal on a friend's '87 Ford Ranger.

Almost 3 years later now and it's still not loosing any coolant or smoking white. The original owner overheated it due to a failed water pump and it had been sitting under a tree without moving for years. Before Steel Seal I could hear coolant gushing into the cylinders with the plugs removed when I pumped the cooling system with my pressure tester. I've repeated the pressure test at various times since then and pressure still held rock solid. In fact I just seen the truck the other day. He's driven it daily to and from work just about every day since without any white smoke or coolant loss. Drives perfectly fine as if the head gasket was never blown to begin with.

This was my first and only time using a head gasket sealer.

The only reason I used this product was because he did not have the money to take the heads off the engine. I avoided the parts store sealers because they use loose particulates suspended in a fluid to make the seal. I didn't want that stuff floating around the cooling system and heater core. I once used a Bar's product to seal a leaking radiator and that stuff was garbage. I didn't do a damn thing but fill my cooling system with a bunch of shiny "particulates" that took several flushes to flush out completely.

Other sealers are multi step and complicated to use and must be flushed back out of the system. Steel Seal is completely clear and looks just like green antifreeze. I just poured it into the radiator and let the car idle at about 1500 RPM for about 20 minutes. Your pout it in and leave it in.
I literally saw the white smoke stop as I stood there couting the minutes down.

Last edited by 86PACER; 05-17-2011 at 10:39 PM.
86PACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Williamsm315

Yeah I used that Dura Seal on my Silverado, bad white smoke from tailpipe and missing. Would overheat as soon as I hit around 45-50 mph. Ordered the duraseal head gasket sealer cause it don't use that wtaer-glass crap like bars or blue devil and it's supposed to stay flexible. Well it worked for me too!!! Great product cool tech department guys to. I'd reccomend it to everybody!
Williamsm315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
DavesC4
CF Senior Member

Where can you get the Dura-Seal or Seal-Steel stuff at?
DavesC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Bubba91
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesC4 View Post
Where can you get the Dura-Seal or Seal-Steel stuff at?
I ordered mine online. Not sure if it was a head gasket leak, though. I ended up replacing the radiator, which I think was the original problem. It did, however, run better for awhile after I did the dura-seal treatment. They do have a money back guarantee, though. I still believe it's a good product, as I never had any adverse affects from it. Good luck.
Bubba91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
GKK
CF Senior Member

Dura Seal uses a Flexible Polymer which does not get brittle and crack over time like the liquid glass formulas used in, Steel Seal, Blue Devil and most other liquid head gasket repair.

Last edited by GKK; 01-30-2013 at 01:33 PM.
GKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
JackDidley
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 View Post
Glad it worked out! I was one of the guys who said 'go for it'. What could you lose? So far, so good!
Me too.
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Dura-Seal worked for me!!!
  •